LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

SteveYoung's Mock offseason version 3.0

So the way I see it we were 1 fumble away from the SuperBowl. We have a fantastic defense, great special teams and outstanding coaching. But, that doesn't hide the fact that we were horrible on 3rd downs and redzone % all season long and this must be addressed. I cant see us being a player in free agency and our main goal should be to re-sign our own and build through the draft.

Re-sign:

QB- Alex Smith 3 yrs
CB- Carlos Rogers 4 yrs
FS- Dashon Goldson 1 yr Franchise tag
OLB- Ahmad Brooks 5 yrs
OG- Adam Snyder 4 yrs
MLB- Blake Costanzo 4 yrs
MLB- Tavares Gooden 2 yrs
SS- CJ Spillman (RFA)
WR- Josh Morgan 2 yrs
WR- Ted Ginn 2 yrs
FS- Reggie Smith 1 yr (camp competetion)
TE- Justin Peele 1 yr (camp competition)

Players to possibly extend: (2012 UFA's)

NT- Issac Sopoago
NT- Ricky Jean Francois
P- Andy Lee
TE- Delanie Walker

Losses:

CB- Shawntae Spencer- Cut
RB- Anthony Dixon (He is not the short yardage thumper we need)
MLB- Larry Grant (RFA) 3rd round tender. Signed by Philly to an offer sheet.
OG- Chilo Rachal
FS- Madieu Williams

Draft:

(1) 30- Dwight Jones, WR- UNC 6'4, 225

Jones would battle with Morgan to start opposite Crabtree. This guy has #1 skills. Big, physical and catches everything in sight. He could be a steal at the end of round 1.

(2) 37 f/m Cleveland- Coby Fleener, TE- Stanford 6'6, 244

*Trade our 2nd (#63), 3rd (#93) and 6th (#188) and WR- Kyle Williams to Cleveland for #37

Trade value chart:

Get-
#37- 530
Give-
#63- 276
#93- 120
#188- 15.8
Total- 411 + Kyle Williams

For all the hype about Delanie Walker, he is not a dependable receiver. He never has been. He does some nice things as a HB type player but if we have a chance to move up and get an impact player who can play right away, we need to do it. Dwight Jones, Michael Crabtree and Josh Morgan on the outside. Vernon Davis and Coby Fleener up the middle. Gore and Hunter softening up the defense. Who do you cover? Harbaugh's system revolves around the TE's and we run a two TE set 3/4 of the time. A duo of Davis/Fleener could be deadly and very similar to what NE throws out with Gronk and Hernandez. We need to improve our red-zone efficiency and 3rd down % Adding Dwight Jones and Coby Fleener is just the remedy.

3- f/m Philly- Jarius Wright, WR- Arkansas 5-10. 180

Flat out burner. We are lacking speed from our receivers and Wright and his 4.33- 40 could open things up running down the field. He averaged 17.5 yards per catch during his college career. Ginn is a great returner and should be brought back but I never want to see him as our #2 or #3 WR again. We need to build up depth at our WR position so the likes of Brett Swain and Kyle Williams are not #2 and #3 WR's in the NFC Championship game ever again either.

Michael Crabtree- Jarius Wright
Josh Morgan- Ted Ginn
Dwight Jones- Thomas Mayo

That's better.

4- Bobby Wagner, ILB- Utah State 6'1, 232

Tackling machine who could take over for Larry Grant as our primary backup.

5- Terrance Gannaway, RB- Baylor 6'0, 240

Takes over from Dixon as our 3rd/Short yardage RB. He is very similar to the Chargers Mike Tolbert.

7- Thomas Mayo, WR- Cal U (PA) 6'2, 200

I remember Baalke saying one of the best measuring tools when evaluating small school players is to see if they dominated the competition.

2009: 72 catches, 1,368 yards, 19.0 Avg, 11 TD's
2010: 74 catches, 1,315 yards, 17.8 Avg, 14 TD's
2011: 79 catches, 1,359 yards, 17.2 Avg, 16 TD's

I would say he dominated.

[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 26, 2012 at 10:16 PM ]
will be extremely happy if anything like the 1st 3 picks happen, our offense becomes deadly instantly
[ Edited by FredFlintstone on Jan 26, 2012 at 10:04 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like it, Steve. Really like Jones and Wright.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
was anyone else fooled into thinking this was by the real Steve Young?

I do think we draft a QB later on
Originally posted by Paul:

LMAO i was
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Wow WR heavy in your Mock Draft, I'd be OK with this draft. But hey, where's the damn CB's at??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wow WR heavy in your Mock Draft, I'd be OK with this draft. But hey, where's the damn CB's at??

My thoughts exactly. This whole draft is offense and offensive player makers. No o-line or DBs.
Originally posted by Paul:

yea i thought this was the real steve young mock too haha

I like the dedication to our receiver core but a little too much focus on it IMO. We really need to keep our defense young and add more depth to our secondary. I really dont see Baalke going all in for WRs
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

We don't need to waste a pick on another quarterback. We have two young backups on the team. With one of them being groomed to take over in a year or two.
So Williams get you a 3rd round pick (129 point difference)? You draft 3 WR, resign 2, and have Crabtree on contract, while resigning everyone of importance, and have 4 TE including Bynum on contract. Love your enthusiasm.

LOL @ Trading Kyle Williams..get over it already
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:

We don't need to waste a pick on another quarterback. We have two young backups on the team. With one of them being groomed to take over in a year or two.

Huh???

Who said anything about a QB??

Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown. Chris Culliver, Tramaine Brock, Curtis Holcomb

How many corners do you want?
Originally posted by 49erfan3252:
LOL @ Trading Kyle Williams..get over it already

Can Harbaugh trust him?
Originally posted by SportsFan:
My thoughts exactly. This whole draft is offense and offensive player makers. No o-line or DBs.

We have no receivers aside from Crabtree while we are two deep in the secondary and O-line.

If Rogers, Goldson and Snyder leave then sure, address their positions in the draft. But the fact of the matter is we run a two TE set and have no receviers.
Share 49ersWebzone