There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SteveYoung's Mock offseason version 3.0

Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
So Williams get you a 3rd round pick (129 point difference)? You draft 3 WR, resign 2, and have Crabtree on contract, while resigning everyone of importance, and have 4 TE including Bynum on contract. Love your enthusiasm.

Why cant we re-sign all our guys? 45 mil+ says we can.

And having 6 WR' is frowned upon now-adays? We have two under contract as of today. And Williams is a major question mark to even be back leaving us with Crabtree.

And yes, I think we carry 4 TE's. After all, a two and even three TE formation is what we field most of the time anyways.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wow WR heavy in your Mock Draft, I'd be OK with this draft. But hey, where's the damn CB's at??

Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown. Chris Culliver, Tramaine Brock, Curtis Holcomb

How many corners do you want?

C'mon man, 16th against the pass, we could use an upgrade at the position and competition for Brown. Holcomb is unknown, Brock is a #4 and like I said, we could use an upgrade at the #2 spot.
C'mon man, 16th against the pass, we could use an upgrade at the position and competition for Brown. Holcomb is unknown, Brock is a #4 and like I said, we could use an upgrade at the #2 spot.

Who cares what they were in pass yardage? What about points against and run defense?

Tarell Brown is a flat out stud and emerging star. There is a reason teams didn't throw his way. Rogers got picked on more than Brown this year. The last thing we need is an upgrade on Tarell Brown's position. And no 2nd/3rd round rookie will come close to his play anyways.

Of course a team is going to go pass heavy if they cant run on us.
Even the real Steve Young wouldn't spend 4 picks on receivers!!! (1 of which is a TE)
Wow WR heavy in your Mock Draft, I'd be OK with this draft. But hey, where's the damn CB's at??

Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown. Chris Culliver, Tramaine Brock, Curtis Holcomb

How many corners do you want?

We don't even have enough to cover the receivers you propose to draft!!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Who cares what they were in pass yardage? What about points against and run defense?

Tarell Brown is a flat out stud and emerging star. There is a reason teams didn't throw his way. Rogers got picked on more than Brown this year. The last thing we need is an upgrade on Tarell Brown's position. And no 2nd/3rd round rookie will come close to his play anyways.

Of course a team is going to go pass heavy if they cant run on us.

If you look at the teams that went pass heavy on us, you'd see they win the TOP. Brown is very suspect in man-coverage, its when he knows he has Safety help he shines. Culliver, even though he was a rookie has been inconsistent throughout the season and still think hes not ready to step in as a starter. Brock and Holcomb are shaky, just don't believe you can't see how this is really is one of our needs.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Also, 3 years for Alex is perfect. We'd have him in his prime years and if he plays well, we can extend him again.
If you look at the teams that went pass heavy on us, you'd see they win the TOP. Brown is very suspect in man-coverage, its when he knows he has Safety help he shines. Culliver, even though he was a rookie has been inconsistent throughout the season and still think hes not ready to step in as a starter. Brock and Holcomb are shaky, just don't believe you can't see how this is really is one of our needs.

Can you count on one hand how many big plays Brown gave up this year? We are 3 deep at CB and Brock is a very solid #4. Holcomb showed good enough potential that we felt it was Ok to release Phillip Adams who had loads of potential as well. We are 5 deep at CB if Rogers comes back. I see two or three guys in this draft who would be a starter over Brown. And there is no way we spend a 1st on a CB if Rogers re-signs. None.

You must have missed Brown's INT on Devery Henderson. Pure 1 on 1 coverage against one of the fastest guys in the league.

As for the TOP, dont you think the fact that we were last in 3rd down % is a bigger reason we lost the TOP battle in some games?

Any DB can shine if our front 7 continues to play like they did last year. Ask the Steelers how many high picks then spend on their secondary. A good pass rush makes average DB's great.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
We don't even have enough to cover the receivers you propose to draft!!!

We will carry 6 receivers with 2 more on the PS. Whats the problem?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Even the real Steve Young wouldn't spend 4 picks on receivers!!! (1 of which is a TE)

A 1st, 3rd and 7th is not un-realistic. Did you watch the Giants game? 1 catch from our receivers is un-excuseable.

So I draft 3 WR and 1 TE. Both positions are needs. Assuming we re-sign all our own, what other needs are more glaring than WR? Unless you think drafting a 4th string CB or backup DL is more important that improving the leagues worst 3rd down and red zone offense. Ask the Patriots if they regret spending a 2nd and 3rd on TE's two seasons's ago.

But wait, we have Brett Swain and Joe Hastings on the team!!
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM ]
I'd rather keep Williams. May not be the best Returner we've got but honestly, I wouldve started him from day one at Reciever. should be the #2. Tired of him getting blamed for us losing. Maybe if the offense was producing, he wouldnt of felt like he had to try and win the game with a long return. Anyways
As far as recievers go, id draft Dwight Jones in first and T.Y Hilton in the 4-5. We need to address our secondary, O-Line and LBs with picks 2-4
We could pick up a RB in FA. (Im reaching for Montee Ball next season, a guy can dream)
Id take Trumaine Johnson in the 4th for the fact that he can play corner or FS. 6'2 and 204.
If Jones is gone I guess we go for Brian Quick? or Best Available Corner/Reciever
No. We are 2 fumbles away from the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Noo, we are 12 maybe 8 3rd down conversions away from a superbowl. The biggest "offensive play" of the 4th quarter was the 40 sumthn yard punt return by Williams. And why was that? because the offense couldnt get anything done. Soo ACTAULLY
We were one block away from the superbowl because on that return, Williams had already beat the kicker but somebody missed a block and clipped williams enough for him to go down. If somebody made tht one block, he woulda returned it for a TD
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Noo, we are 12 maybe 8 3rd down conversions away from a superbowl. The biggest "offensive play" of the 4th quarter was the 40 sumthn yard punt return by Williams. And why was that? because the offense couldnt get anything done. Soo ACTAULLY
We were one block away from the superbowl because on that return, Williams had already beat the kicker but somebody missed a block and clipped williams enough for him to go down. If somebody made tht one block, he woulda returned it for a TD

And despite the 3rd downs if we don't fumble 2 times and spot them 10 points we are in the Super Bowl. We won despite that. No way they beat us without us gift wrapping them 10 points deep in our own territory.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

We don't need to waste a pick on another quarterback. We have two young backups on the team. With one of them being groomed to take over in a year or two.

Huh???

Who said anything about a QB??

Sorry, I must have been thinking of a different thread.