LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

OTC's First Mock of 2012

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Brockers is the kid to watch out for. His ceiling is so high that I could see a team in the first 15 picks selecting him. Devon Still is the obvious first DT off the board, but then the game begins between Brockers and Worthy to see which DT is next off the board

I am not sure if you noticed the stat line on Watt today: 12 tackles, 9 solo, 3 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, all the while being matched with Marshall Yanda, a Pro-Bowler. Quite a day.

Just curious MD... If you could trade Aldon Smith for JJ Watt straight up today, would you do it?

I know you preferred Watt as the Niners number 1 pick in the last draft...
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM ]
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Brockers is the kid to watch out for. His ceiling is so high that I could see a team in the first 15 picks selecting him. Devon Still is the obvious first DT off the board, but then the game begins between Brockers and Worthy to see which DT is next off the board

I am not sure if you noticed the stat line on Watt today: 12 tackles, 9 solo, 3 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, all the while being matched with Marshall Yanda, a Pro-Bowler. Quite a day.

Just curious MD... If you could trade Aldon Smith for JJ Watt straight up today, would you do it?

I can't speak for MD, but looking at it TODAY, I'd have to say no. Watt looks like he'll be elite for years to come, but so does Aldon, and Aldon still has SO much room to grow. Also, looking at our team, we have NO pass-rushers aside from Brooks and he's a FA.

TODAY, if we did it, we'd have McDonald, Watt, Justin, and RJF as DE's, and a free agent Brooks, Haralson, and .. that's right, nothing else. That's it for OLB's. Going into an incredibly weak year for 3-4 pass-rushers, we would be likely be royally screwed.

There are more DE/DT prospects than DE/OLB right now for the 49ers in this draft. Altogether, the 49ers could likely get more total value for Aldon Smith + DE/DT talent in the 2012 than they could by stacking DE with Watt and adding a 2012 DE/OLB.

with justin smith and ray mac on our roster aldon was definitally the right choise but waat is a beast
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I can't speak for MD, but looking at it TODAY, I'd have to say no. Watt looks like he'll be elite for years to come, but so does Aldon, and Aldon still has SO much room to grow. Also, looking at our team, we have NO pass-rushers aside from Brooks and he's a FA.

TODAY, if we did it, we'd have McDonald, Watt, Justin, and RJF as DE's, and a free agent Brooks, Haralson, and .. that's right, nothing else. That's it for OLB's. Going into an incredibly weak year for 3-4 pass-rushers, we would be likely be royally screwed.

There are more DE/DT prospects than DE/OLB right now for the 49ers in this draft. Altogether, the 49ers could likely get more total value for Aldon Smith + DE/DT talent in the 2012 than they could by stacking DE with Watt and adding a 2012 DE/OLB.

This is a very well thought out post, Clock... Makes me feel better about Baalke and the way he may be evaluating guys too. Thanks.

Cheers!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Snyder will likely be resigned, and that Stanford kid (Beeler?) might also be available and a year more mature. Center and/or guard doesn't seem to be much of a need.

Plus, Baalke's two OL picks from last season, Kilgore and Person, have had a year in the system and a year in the weight room--I'm betting he goes with them over another draft pick--UNLESS Konz is that much better than anyone else. (In which case he's not likely to be there late in the first.)

Loaded with assumptions here. No guarantee Snyder comes back, no guarantee Kilgore and Person both grow to the point where they can stand, nor is there any guarantee they don't get injured or something. Rachal is gone almost guaranteed. If he and Snyder both go, we have not only lost a starter, we have even less depth.
No guarantee Snyder comes back is true. But I think Baalke already addressed that possibility when he drafted two small school OL in the later rounds last year. Snyder either takes a reasonable offer and returns, or Kilgore takes his place. Or Person. Baalke likely already knows if either of those guys is a capable replacement for Snyder--who has had an outstanding year himself.

Given the level of ability displayed by Baalke's other picks (Aldon Smith, Hunter, Culliver, Miller, C. Jones), I wouldn't want to bet against Kilgore stepping up if Snyder departs.

So unless Peter Konz is the second coming of Steve Hutchinson (and if he is, will he be availble late?), then I'd look for Baalke to find another small school (hidden talent) OLineman in the later rounds if Kilgore/Person can't do the job. I think he will draft a WR, CB, or OLB in the first.

Just my opinion tho, based on the assumption that Baalke knew what he was doing in the last draft, and knows what he's doing now.

BTW, given the style of play preferred by Harbaugh, I wouldn't be surprised if the team took a RB in the first. Hunter is a great change of pace back, but Gore is aging, and the team struggled when he was out injured. Doesn't look like Dixon is the answer. No one seems to address this issue in their mocks.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Jan 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM ]
Snyder will likely be resigned, and that Stanford kid (Beeler?) might also be available and a year more mature. Center and/or guard doesn't seem to be much of a need.

Plus, Baalke's two OL picks from last season, Kilgore and Person, have had a year in the system and a year in the weight room--I'm betting he goes with them over another draft pick--UNLESS Konz is that much better than anyone else. (In which case he's not likely to be there late in the first.)

Loaded with assumptions here. No guarantee Snyder comes back, no guarantee Kilgore and Person both grow to the point where they can stand, nor is there any guarantee they don't get injured or something. Rachal is gone almost guaranteed. If he and Snyder both go, we have not only lost a starter, we have even less depth.
No guarantee Snyder comes back is true. But I think Baalke already addressed that possibility when he drafted two small school OL in the later rounds last year. Snyder either takes a reasonable offer and returns, or Kilgore takes his place. Or Person. Baalke likely already knows if either of those guys is a capable replacement for Snyder--who has had an outstanding year himself.

Given the level of ability displayed by Baalke's other picks (Aldon Smith, Hunter, Culliver, Miller, C. Jones), I wouldn't want to bet against Kilgore stepping up if Snyder departs.

So unless Peter Konz is the second coming of Steve Hutchinson (and if he is, will he be availble late?), then I'd look for Baalke to find another small school (hidden talent) OLineman in the later rounds if Kilgore/Person can't do the job. I think he will draft a WR, CB, or OLB in the first.

Just my opinion tho, based on the assumption that Baalke knew what he was doing in the last draft, and knows what he's doing now.

BTW, given the style of play preferred by Harbaugh, I wouldn't be surprised if the team took a RB in the first. Hunter is a great change of pace back, but Gore is aging, and the team struggled when he was out injured. Doesn't look like Dixon is the answer. No one seems to address this issue in their mocks.

Point is, if you're Baalke, you're looking at the team saying, "what areas can we upgrade immediately?" If Snyder declines our offer (we already offered earlier in the year and he declined), do you bank on Kilgore being ready? Maybe he thought Kilgore would need two years of grooming, but was expecting this years strong OG class to be a help if Snyder didn't resign. That's why I say we can't assume anything.

Now back to the first sentence, if you're Baalke, you're looking at the team saying, "what areas can we upgrade immediately?" -- OG/C, WR, DB, and OLB (only 3 currently on the roster, with Haralson the only depth) have to be considered. It all depends on BPA. Tteams usually don't go "Well we got ourselves a small-school developmental guy late last year, so there's no reason to take this potential All-Pro right here who is 100X better." See what I mean? Kilgore may be solid, but if Konz is a BPA with that kind of impression on Baalke, the fact that we took Kilgore last year becomes irrelevant.

I would be shocked if we took a RB in round 1 with so many other obvious pressing needs. Gore was only pulled out of one game (Giants), and started every game this year. Hunter was a rookie, he'll be even better next year I'm sure. Dixon I expect to stick around because he's a monster on ST's and OK running for a 3rd RB. Many people don't notice the tremendous job he does in both kick coverage but also blocking in the return game.

This years RB class is rather poor compared to years prior, and especially to next year's. You say, given Harbaugh's style of play, you wouldn't be surprised if we took a RB, but that style of play needs good OL, so don't be shocked if we take one early, given it being a pretty good interior OL class.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
This draft is on point. Goodwin needs to be replaced ASAP.

wtf?

Point is, if you're Baalke, you're looking at the team saying, "what areas can we upgrade immediately?" If Snyder declines our offer (we already offered earlier in the year and he declined), do you bank on Kilgore being ready? Maybe he thought Kilgore would need two years of grooming, but was expecting this years strong OG class to be a help if Snyder didn't resign. That's why I say we can't assume anything.

Now back to the first sentence, if you're Baalke, you're looking at the team saying, "what areas can we upgrade immediately?" -- OG/C, WR, DB, and OLB (only 3 currently on the roster, with Haralson the only depth) have to be considered. It all depends on BPA. Tteams usually don't go "Well we got ourselves a small-school developmental guy late last year, so there's no reason to take this potential All-Pro right here who is 100X better." See what I mean? Kilgore may be solid, but if Konz is a BPA with that kind of impression on Baalke, the fact that we took Kilgore last year becomes irrelevant.

I would be shocked if we took a RB in round 1 with so many other obvious pressing needs. Gore was only pulled out of one game (Giants), and started every game this year. Hunter was a rookie, he'll be even better next year I'm sure. Dixon I expect to stick around because he's a monster on ST's and OK running for a 3rd RB. Many people don't notice the tremendous job he does in both kick coverage but also blocking in the return game.

This years RB class is rather poor compared to years prior, and especially to next year's. You say, given Harbaugh's style of play, you wouldn't be surprised if we took a RB, but that style of play needs good OL, so don't be shocked if we take one early, given it being a pretty good interior OL class.
I'm not saying the team won't, or shouldn't take the BPA, and if that's an interior OL, so be it. I am saying that Baalke saw this issue LAST year, and has already tried to address it. If Kilgore lives up to expectations--and he showed glimmers of doing so in preseason games--then OL becomes less of a need.

If a guy like Konz is available, and if he really is a Steve Hutchinson type player, it would be hard for any team to pass on him--which means he's not likely to be there late. But I don't see the Niners specifically targeting C/OG in the first round because they think its a pressing need, even if Snyder departs.

Dixon is a valuable ST player, as any fan with a pulse can see. But he is even less of a replacement for Gore than Hunter, and I don't see the team going into next season without drafting another, bigger RB. Maybe in the first round, depending on who's available, maybe not.

You speak of how thin the team is at OLB--which is true (although there are other players who could play OLB--even Bruce Miller in a pinch). But the team is just as thin, or moreso, at RB. If Gore goes down, Hunter is not going to carry the load for the entire season, and Dixon doesn't appear to be capable of doing so--especially in pass protection. The team needs to find another, big RB who has the same kind of football smarts as Gore and is as versatile and tough, but faster and younger. If they find him, they might use a late first on him. Wouldn't you?

The other "pressing needs" of which you speak: WR, DB, OLB, all have some backups already on the team. If Harbaugh ran alot of 4 WR sets, WR would be a bigger need. (If a really good WR prospect--a big, fast, red-zone target type WR is there in the first, I'd expect them to take him.)

But if Gore continues to decline, or goes out with a prolonged injury, next year, the team is in trouble unless they find another RB to fill his role. IMHO
Snyder is a versatile back-up swing player. He's not All-Pro caliber and doesn't figure to ever become anything close to that. He's essentially just a Tony Wragge type of player. If you ask anyone to point out the weakest link on our OL, they will most likely point to RG or C, a position that Konz would fill for years to come.

It just depends on A) is he available? and B) is he the BPA if he is at our spot.

The Konz pick at center with Goodwin moving to RG solves the problem of keeping a vet next to Anthony Davis. His play has improved with Snyder alongside him. He's still making dumb reads on blitzes, but I'd be more concerned with a rookie or new player like Kilgore at RG. The Niners' have picked a lot of OL in the first round(s) recently but not necessarily wisely.
Snyder is a versatile back-up swing player. He's not All-Pro caliber and doesn't figure to ever become anything close to that. He's essentially just a Tony Wragge type of player. If you ask anyone to point out the weakest link on our OL, they will most likely point to RG or C, a position that Konz would fill for years to come.

It just depends on A) is he available? and B) is he the BPA if he is at our spot.
I agree that Snyder is unlikely to make All-Pro. However, saying he's a "Tony Wragge type of player" unfairly understates Snyder's abilities, IMHO.

Wragge is very strong, but not very nimble or fast. Snyder, once he got into shape (following Boone's example), is pretty athletic--strong AND fast (for an OLman). He's also been a team leader this year--something Wragge never appeared to be.

Snyder may not make All Pro, but he's a considerably better player than Wragge. The fact that Snyder is also versatile shouldn't blind us to the fact that he's played very well this year at RG--solidifying the OL play once he took over for Rachal.

I'm not saying the team won't, or shouldn't take the BPA, and if that's an interior OL, so be it. I am saying that Baalke saw this issue LAST year, and has already tried to address it. If Kilgore lives up to expectations--and he showed glimmers of doing so in preseason games--then OL becomes less of a need.

If a guy like Konz is available, and if he really is a Steve Hutchinson type player, it would be hard for any team to pass on him--which means he's not likely to be there late. But I don't see the Niners specifically targeting C/OG in the first round because they think its a pressing need, even if Snyder departs.

Dixon is a valuable ST player, as any fan with a pulse can see. But he is even less of a replacement for Gore than Hunter, and I don't see the team going into next season without drafting another, bigger RB. Maybe in the first round, depending on who's available, maybe not.

You speak of how thin the team is at OLB--which is true (although there are other players who could play OLB--even Bruce Miller in a pinch). But the team is just as thin, or moreso, at RB. If Gore goes down, Hunter is not going to carry the load for the entire season, and Dixon doesn't appear to be capable of doing so--especially in pass protection. The team needs to find another, big RB who has the same kind of football smarts as Gore and is as versatile and tough, but faster and younger. If they find him, they might use a late first on him. Wouldn't you?

The other "pressing needs" of which you speak: WR, DB, OLB, all have some backups already on the team. If Harbaugh ran alot of 4 WR sets, WR would be a bigger need. (If a really good WR prospect--a big, fast, red-zone target type WR is there in the first, I'd expect them to take him.)

But if Gore continues to decline, or goes out with a prolonged injury, next year, the team is in trouble unless they find another RB to fill his role. IMHO

I think it's a little silly to assume the team would start using Bruce Miller at OLB ever, at this point. I think if anyone went down even during a game, they would just use one of the other LB's and not risk hurting our only FB (Norris isn't coming back). And then after the game, instead of working Miller at OLB in practice, they'd just sign an OLB and let Miller focus on FB. The fact of the matter is, we have two OLB locked up, and that's it. If Brooks goes, we've got nothing behind him, because really Miller doesn't count as an OLB anymore based on the reasons just stated.

The difference between RB and these other positions? Like you said, you field multiple OLBs, WRs, and OL on the field at the same time. You only put one RB on the field, and in some cases not even that. Thus, the reason the priority for a RB should be low on the list.

The team's extreme belief in Hunter to be an every-down back leads me to believe we will not draft a RB early. They specifically stated they see him as an everydown back in the NFL. I think people are judging him a little harshly so early, considering this is his rookie year. I think they're judging Gore harshly too. One off-season removed from a fractured hip, and he has his second best statistical rushing season ever. The only time he had over 1200 yards before this season was in 2006.

I agree with this... If a stud RB is available when the team picks and they think he can be Gore's replacement going forward, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Baalke pull the trigger early.

Knowing that good RBs can be had in the middle rounds, however, I would think the team would wait until round 3 or so to do this. If Richardson is there at the end of the first however, all bets are off.
He is worthy, probably. But he doesn't quite have the size of Julio (who is about 6-4 220+). However, I don't think he's the kind of player we need right now. He has injury concerns, and the way he plays, he is an injury risk and that's the last thing we need.

I think we would be well served adding a lightning bug and a physical freak to our WR corps. We have a lot of different packages, so we could use both. When I say lightning bug I mean a freakishly quick AND fast guy. Guys like Ginn are burners but don't have elite lateral quickness like Welker and Sproles (not a WR obviously, but just using him as an example). There are very few quick burners though this year. At least right now, no one other than the players below has elevated themselves to draft-worthy consideration yet.

A physical freak + one of the following quick burners would be great:

Jarius Wright, Arkansas (4.34)
Joe Adams, Arkansas (4.38)
Keshawn Martin, Michigan St. (4.44)
T.Y. Hilton, Fla. Int'l (4.48)
Devon Wylie, Fresno St. (4.38)
Patrick Edwards, Houston (4.44)

------------

7th-UDFA guys who need great workouts to rise.

T.J. Graham, N.C. State (4.36)
Travis Benjamin, Miami (4.36)

And that's about it.

Thanks OTC I appreciate your work.

I think it's a little silly to assume the team would start using Bruce Miller at OLB ever, at this point. I think if anyone went down even during a game, they would just use one of the other LB's and not risk hurting our only FB (Norris isn't coming back). And then after the game, instead of working Miller at OLB in practice, they'd just sign an OLB and let Miller focus on FB. The fact of the matter is, we have two OLB locked up, and that's it. If Brooks goes, we've got nothing behind him, because really Miller doesn't count as an OLB anymore based on the reasons just stated.

The difference between RB and these other positions? Like you said, you field multiple OLBs, WRs, and OL on the field at the same time. You only put one RB on the field, and in some cases not even that. Thus, the reason the priority for a RB should be low on the list.

The team's extreme belief in Hunter to be an every-down back leads me to believe we will not draft a RB early. They specifically stated they see him as an everydown back in the NFL. I think people are judging him a little harshly so early, considering this is his rookie year. I think they're judging Gore harshly too. One off-season removed from a fractured hip, and he has his second best statistical rushing season ever. The only time he had over 1200 yards before this season was in 2006.
Silly to ever use an H-back/FB/TE at OLB, and vice versa as well, I suppose? Be sure to memo that information to that Bellichik guy up in New England. lol.

My point was that there are a number of guys--Bowman, Grant, Gooden come to mind--who could play OLB, and Bruce Miller could as well "IN A PINCH" (out of necessity) (not all the time) (in an emergency).

(Aren't you the guy who was highly critical of the Miller pick in the first place, because it moved him to FB from OLB--only now you say that he couldn't possibly move back, even for a series if absolutely necessary? wtf?)

True, only one RB on the field at at time, usually. But other than QB, RB touchs the ball the most, and Harbaugh LIKES to run the ball.

Hunter may be an answer, but his size makes him somewhat limited in pass protection: DL and bigger OLBs can simply swamp him.

Gore is tough, and smart, but aging. The time to address the issue is now, not AFTER Gore goes down.

Just my opinion. We'll see how the draft plays out.

Fundamentally, our difference appears to be that you're looking at this from the "how to upgrade the team right now--how to find an immediate starter to strengthen some perceived weak point on the team right away." At least that's what you posted above.

I think Baalke is way ahead of that, and is thinking at least one or two years ahead.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
Would much rather go all out after Nicks from NO than draft another interior lineman. Proven quality in my mind then go after WR (a big un), CB and DL depth.
Share 49ersWebzone