There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AJ Jenkins WR Illinois

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by mebemused:
AJ Jenkins 6' 190 lbs 4.39 40

According to OTC, should be available in the 4th round at pick #125. I like him. Of course, if the only WR you want is over 6'3" tall, 210 lb+, and a long strider, than he isn't your cup of tea. He is one of the better route runners in the draft, and can get separation, which is important to Alex Smith. Oh, and he can run the entire route tree, which is more than you can say for most of the big WRs. His talent at running the routes that Alex likes to throw, and his speed is why he is a value proposition in the 4th round. If he could do all the above and was 6'3" tall, 210 lb+, he would be a first round talent.

Position on value boards:
NationalFootball Post 17th WR, #162 overall rank
Possesses average height for the position with a thin frame. However, displays a real savvy about his game when asked to find soft spots in coverage. Works his back toward the quarterback, understands angles and is always finding himself open vs. zone. Is also very coordinated when asked to adjust to the throw. Does a nice job extending his arms, plucking the football away from his frame and coming down with the catch. Displays good body control along the sideline as well, knowing where he's located, maintaining concentration and keeping his feet in bounds. Possesses good straight-line speed. Looks like a low 4.4 guy and is a potential vertical threat at the next level. Accelerates well underneath on crossing patterns and can run away from defenders in man coverage.
CBSDraftscout.com 19th WR, overall player #157
He saw immediate action in 2008 as a true freshman, playing in all 12 games, including one start (11-287-3). He started three games in 2009 as a sophomore, but saw his production drop a bit (10-123-1), missing two games with a knee injury. Jenkins started nine games in 2010 and finished as the team's leading receiver (56-749-7). However, he really emerged in 2011 as a senior, posting team-highs in every receiving category, including a Big Ten-best 84 receptions for 1,196 yards and 7 TDs.

Jenkins isn't a burner or consistent vertical threat, but he plays fast and with a degree of confidence. He is more quick than fast and covers a lot of ground in the short half of the field and is slippery after the catch. He has a lanky frame and will be overmatched physically by most cornerbacks in the NFL, but should be a solid underneath option.

Jenkins doesn't appear to have the strength or natural speed to hold up on the outside as a pro, but could develop into a solid No. 3 or 4 for a team if he becomes more disciplined as a route-runner and devotes himself to the game of football.

Gil Brandt Hot 100 #65 ranked player

OTC's Board: 137
MadDog's Board: 65

Nice post, putting all the rankings together.

I agree with Mad Dog's and Gil Brant's take on AJ Jenkins. I see him as a late 2nd/early 3rd pick.

I said I liked him

I never get around to doing a final revised board (too busy with work), but I was a huge fan of Jenkins as a WR.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I can't stand Casserly at all. He is so freaking annoying. All these supposed "experts" know s**t about the value of picks. Mayock had Culliver as a 5th rd guy, and he worked out well as a 3rd rd pick. Aldon was said to be a huge reach by some. I don't listen to these guys anymore, I use to, but not anymore.

This is the same guy who drafted Heath Shuler and his time as Texans GM was incredibly forgettable and mistaken-laden, don't think anyone should be taking old Chuck all too seriously, for some of these guys, the game and the ability to properly evaluate has passed them by, much like it has for Razzano and his "Cam Newton and Aldon Smith are the two most overrated players in the draft" nonsense.
Who gives a s**t where he was valued (or where these armchair experts on the site say he should have gone at), Bill Walsh spit on the idea of valuing a player 'less' due to his overall 'board-slotting' via experts and scouts around the league; it's about drafting talent you find valuable to your system, not some other team.

In our offensive system, route-running, intelligence, and body fluidity are important for a WR, so to me AJ Jenkins is a top 15 pick.

Just watch, it's gonna happen again, this guy is gonna be our #1 threat at his position by the beginning of next year.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Who gives a s**t where he was valued (or where these armchair experts on the site say he should have gone at), Bill Walsh spit on the idea of valuing a player 'less' due to his overall 'board-slotting' via experts and scouts around the league; it's about drafting talent you find valuable to your system, not some other team.

In our offensive system, route-running, intelligence, and body fluidity are important for a WR, so to me AJ Jenkins is a top 15 pick.

Just watch, it's gonna happen again, this guy is gonna be our #1 threat at his position by the beginning of next year.

Exactly. People forget that the 49ers have an ARMY of scouts and then the coaches review what the scouts have said and finally we have Baalke who assesses what they've said with Harbaugh. I challenge any draft expert on tv even mel kipper whose sole job is to make money not to make great personnel decisions. If a draft expert is wrong they just forget and move on to the next year. If a GM is wrong, he gets fired.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Exactly. People forget that the 49ers have an ARMY of scouts and then the coaches review what the scouts have said and finally we have Baalke who assesses what they've said with Harbaugh. I challenge any draft expert on tv even mel kipper whose sole job is to make money not to make great personnel decisions. If a draft expert is wrong they just forget and move on to the next year. If a GM is wrong, he gets fired.

Well said by both of you
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Exactly. -Damn I've been watching complete games from Illinois (from 2011) within the past 10 hours, and this kid is f**king amazing. -Jenkins is like the COMPLETE package, it's almost scary, haven't seen a WR with such crisp/accurate route-running intelligence/reads to come out of the draft since DeShaun Jackson.

What's even greater is that his weaknesses can be easily fixed through coaching (not like Justin Blackmon, who's small hands will hold him back from being elite his entire career, or Michael Floyd's nagging injury issues).
Exactly. -Damn I've been watching complete games from Illinois (from 2011) within the past 10 hours, and this kid is f**king amazing. -Jenkins is like the COMPLETE package, it's almost scary, haven't seen a WR with such crisp/accurate route-running intelligence/reads to come out of the draft since DeShaun Jackson.

What's even greater is that his weaknesses can be easily fixed through coaching (not like Justin Blackmon, who's small hands will hold him back from being elite his entire career, or Michael Floyd's nagging injury issues).

ive seen some scouting reports the only thing negitive i see is small frame- needs to bilk up

thats it

what do you see as his weaknesses?
The OP should post more, specifically what are we going to do with the 2nd?

Some of his responders should post less

and rely on Google less
Originally posted by mebemused:
AJ Jenkins 6' 190 lbs 4.39 40

According to OTC, should be available in the 4th round at pick #125. I like him. Of course, if the only WR you want is over 6'3" tall, 210 lb+, and a long strider, than he isn't your cup of tea. He is one of the better route runners in the draft, and can get separation, which is important to Alex Smith. Oh, and he can run the entire route tree, which is more than you can say for most of the big WRs. His talent at running the routes that Alex likes to throw, and his speed is why he is a value proposition in the 4th round. If he could do all the above and was 6'3" tall, 210 lb+, he would be a first round talent.

Position on value boards:
NationalFootball Post 17th WR, #162 overall rank
Possesses average height for the position with a thin frame. However, displays a real savvy about his game when asked to find soft spots in coverage. Works his back toward the quarterback, understands angles and is always finding himself open vs. zone. Is also very coordinated when asked to adjust to the throw. Does a nice job extending his arms, plucking the football away from his frame and coming down with the catch. Displays good body control along the sideline as well, knowing where he's located, maintaining concentration and keeping his feet in bounds. Possesses good straight-line speed. Looks like a low 4.4 guy and is a potential vertical threat at the next level. Accelerates well underneath on crossing patterns and can run away from defenders in man coverage.
CBSDraftscout.com 19th WR, overall player #157
He saw immediate action in 2008 as a true freshman, playing in all 12 games, including one start (11-287-3). He started three games in 2009 as a sophomore, but saw his production drop a bit (10-123-1), missing two games with a knee injury. Jenkins started nine games in 2010 and finished as the team's leading receiver (56-749-7). However, he really emerged in 2011 as a senior, posting team-highs in every receiving category, including a Big Ten-best 84 receptions for 1,196 yards and 7 TDs.

Jenkins isn't a burner or consistent vertical threat, but he plays fast and with a degree of confidence. He is more quick than fast and covers a lot of ground in the short half of the field and is slippery after the catch. He has a lanky frame and will be overmatched physically by most cornerbacks in the NFL, but should be a solid underneath option.

Jenkins doesn't appear to have the strength or natural speed to hold up on the outside as a pro, but could develop into a solid No. 3 or 4 for a team if he becomes more disciplined as a route-runner and devotes himself to the game of football.

Gil Brandt Hot 100 #65 ranked player

OTC's Board: 137
MadDog's Board: 65

Nice post, putting all the rankings together.

I agree with Mad Dog's and Gil Brant's take on AJ Jenkins. I see him as a late 2nd/early 3rd pick.

I said I liked him

I never get around to doing a final revised board (too busy with work), but I was a huge fan of Jenkins as a WR.

Keep in mind, that is neither of our final predictions where Jenkins would go. We both had him going higher. That was more than three weeks ago. So, just to make sure that is made clear.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Is Illinois even a real school. I think this easy kill doot is making it up

I just checked google, it's real, Vontay David went there.

Oh vernon davis yea I remember now

hey, ease up on the illinois jokes alright.

Don't forget about Mendenhall from the Steelers, Lloyd did okay for us...

and there have been others...just can't remember them...hahah...land of lincoln baby...
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Anyone feel foolish?

Is the OP even around here anymore? Maybe the light-heartedness of the ribbing from a couple of the "knowledgeable vets" went over my head, but, man, you guys were harsh / borderline mean in reponse to an honest question from a relative "newbie". If the OP got ridiculed off the Webzone, the mods should e-mail the lad (or lass) and warmly ask them back. Come on, guys, you're better than that.
Yeah I'm still here. For 8 years I've been coming to the zone; I just don't post much. But I really liked what I saw in Jenkins so I wanted to ask OTC or anyone what they thought. Liked him better than Randle, HIll, Floyd, or any other receiver not named Blackmon. Thought he looked a little like Jerry in the way he strides when he runs.

Yes the subsequent posters were pretty rude, as I simply asked a question about a player. The one who said "yeah dudes a beast. We should take him with our first pick" was actually mocking me still. He joked with the other poster about AJ Green having a child with Malcolm Jenkins and that we should draft their kid. Well at least I'm not the one who looks dumb now.

Super excited to get Jenkins, even moreso now since the Rams and others may have taken him soon after (not to mention because of the two posters at the beginning of this thread ).

Hey Ezekie, you called it way back in January!!!!! And my first thoughts when I saw some video clips of AJ was that he looked silky smooth like Jerry Rice. And I read some where that Jerry has already tweeter AJ about meeting up to run the hills. I think they met at a bowl game. Good Job Ezekie!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I AM SHOCKED......but I'm not a scout and I'm not Trent Baalke.

I have to admit, I didn't know about Jenkins but watching the film I noticed some things and reading the bio on different sites, I picked up some information.

He's a great route runner. The guy is very smooth in making his cuts and moves, he seems to get the most out of his speed like the Great One Jerry Rice. And he was timed well at the combine, a 4.39 guy which is fast.

He got great production in college which is a trademark indicator for Baalke meaning he won't go for just a workout warrior like Stephen Hill whose production in college was nothing to be desired. He also doesn't have the best quarterback throwing to him either, I saw that he had to adjust to the ball a lot.

He's a "Gold Helmet" high character guy, or that's what Baalke and Trent said, and that is huge for the team. They really want smart, character and die hard football guys. When you are building a selfless team that sacrifices for each other, you need guys like that.

He's a smart dude. I think that means a lot in the nfl when you are running the West Coast Offense, you have to make a lot of reads and adjust your routes

The best thing though is that Baalke is implying that Jenkins played hurt in college. I think that is superhuge. Aldon was the same way in his last year in college. And both still got great production and played through injuries and in the NFL you HAVE TO DO THAT.

Day two is going to be huge. I'm smelling a trade up in the early second.
That means he is ready for alex smith ...
Originally posted by jimrat:
He looks like Isaac Bruce to me

Wow great highlights
i like this pick
What gets out of the picture when you look at the film is :
1.Great concentration
2. Great hands
3. never turn his eyes off the ball
4. Great speed after the catch
5. Takes the hit ... and keeps the ball
6. Awareness of the field :knows where the sidelines is, first down marker, goal line
He could be a little more physical, that's my question mark. How will he respond to press coverage ?
But it can be learned
[ Edited by 49Fever on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:17 AM ]
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Wow great highlights
i like this pick
What gets out of the picture when you look at the film is :
1.Great concentration
2. Great hands
3. never turn his eyes off the ball
4. Great speed after the catch
5. Takes the hit ... and keeps the ball
6. Awareness of the field :knows where the sidelines is, first down marker, goal line
He could be a little more physical, that's my question mark. How will he respond to press coverage ?
But it can be learned

Wow, the Hoosier DBs must still have nightmares about covering this guy! He was a one man scoring machine against them. Given his production, I'm surprised every opponent didn't double team him every play on principle.
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

He got great production in college which is a trademark indicator for Baalke meaning he won't go for just a workout warrior like Stephen Hill whose production in college was nothing to be desired. He also doesn't have the best quarterback throwing to him either, I saw that he had to adjust to the ball a lot.

That means he is ready for alex smith ...

No kidding!

Looking at the film, he reminds me of John Talyor. My favorite Niner receiver. Not only because he was FAST and silky smooth, but also because of his humble demeanor. I'm sure that's also what endeared him to Baalke and Harbaugh.

I am just so thrilled with this pickup!