There are 238 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins WR Illinois

Reminds me of WR-Mike Wallace-Pittsburgh. About the same size and both are fast with good hands.
Best Massage Parlors in SF?
Ahh that was just his teammates playing a prank on poor Jerry. Those rascals.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by D-Money:
I've said it on numerous threads on here I love AJ Jenkins as something about him reminds me of Jerry. That being said Baalke is full of crap, we should've taken the Minnesota deal as Jenkins absolutely would've been there in the top of the second to middle of the second. I would've loved to get Janoris Jenkins here and AJ in a trade up in round two. All I'm going to say is bye bye Kyle Williams.

What deal was this? Didnt know one was on the table
He fielded a trade request by the Minnesota Vikings that presumably would have given the 49ers Minnesota's second-round pick (35th overall) as well as at least one other pick. Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/04/did-49ers-jump-the-gun-on-jenkins-baalke-doesnt-think-so.html#storylink=cpy

Here: "League sources told the Post-Dispatch on Thursday afternoon that the Rams liked Jenkins so much that his grade wasn't much different than the one given Blackmon by the team's personnel department."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-miss-out-on-jenkins/article_02ddc12d-b649-5ef0-84f4-02f6487fb11d.html
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Anyone feel foolish?

Is the OP even around here anymore? Maybe the light-heartedness of the ribbing from a couple of the "knowledgeable vets" went over my head, but, man, you guys were harsh / borderline mean in reponse to an honest question from a relative "newbie". If the OP got ridiculed off the Webzone, the mods should e-mail the lad (or lass) and warmly ask them back. Come on, guys, you're better than that.
Yeah I'm still here. For 8 years I've been coming to the zone; I just don't post much. But I really liked what I saw in Jenkins so I wanted to ask OTC or anyone what they thought. Liked him better than Randle, HIll, Floyd, or any other receiver not named Blackmon. Thought he looked a little like Jerry in the way he strides when he runs.

Yes the subsequent posters were pretty rude, as I simply asked a question about a player. The one who said "yeah dudes a beast. We should take him with our first pick" was actually mocking me still. He joked with the other poster about AJ Green having a child with Malcolm Jenkins and that we should draft their kid. Well at least I'm not the one who looks dumb now.

Super excited to get Jenkins, even moreso now since the Rams and others may have taken him soon after (not to mention because of the two posters at the beginning of this thread ).
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
I saw this guy on YouTube today the first time and I was shocked! I thought that was Jerry Rice running and catching.

Yes, he does look like Rice out there also looking "slow" (not separation AFTER the catch). Hope he's as slow as Rice when he gets to the NFL.
I was in shock after the pick and considered it a reach (btw I know I wasn't on the webzone during last year's draft but I loved the Aldon pick). I went through a series of complex emotions in the couple hours after the draft, but after doing a little more research on the pick and seeing all these rumors about the Rams at 33, etc. the shock is starting to wear off and I'm starting to like the pick. Seems like that was a fairly common reaction. But what really got me going was that series of tweets between AJ and Jerry. If Jerry approves, I can wholly get behind this pick. In Baalke we trust!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Best WR available that fits the system. plain and simple.

Short but sweet answer. This pick was intended to help with Alex Smith's weakness. We are in such desperate need to find a receiver who gets fast separation off the line. We all know that Alex will not throw the ball unless the receiver is wide open. He rarely throws to a spot and/or lobs the ball up for a jump ball.

This manifests in low 3rd down and RZ efficiency. It's a problem area that needed to be addressed.

A quick example: The game winning throw to Vernon against the Saints is VERY anti Alex Smith. He had to make that throw because he had no choice.

In the past we had Josh Morgan and Crabtree. Neither of these guys excel at getting open quickly. Too often, Alex would hold the ball and take the sack or throw the away.

Drafting AJ Jenkins (hopefully) will help in this area.
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Anyone feel foolish?

Is the OP even around here anymore? Maybe the light-heartedness of the ribbing from a couple of the "knowledgeable vets" went over my head, but, man, you guys were harsh / borderline mean in reponse to an honest question from a relative "newbie". If the OP got ridiculed off the Webzone, the mods should e-mail the lad (or lass) and warmly ask them back. Come on, guys, you're better than that.
Yeah I'm still here. For 8 years I've been coming to the zone; I just don't post much. But I really liked what I saw in Jenkins so I wanted to ask OTC or anyone what they thought. Liked him better than Randle, HIll, Floyd, or any other receiver not named Blackmon. Thought he looked a little like Jerry in the way he strides when he runs.

Yes the subsequent posters were pretty rude, as I simply asked a question about a player. The one who said "yeah dudes a beast. We should take him with our first pick" was actually mocking me still. He joked with the other poster about AJ Green having a child with Malcolm Jenkins and that we should draft their kid. Well at least I'm not the one who looks dumb now.

Super excited to get Jenkins, even moreso now since the Rams and others may have taken him soon after (not to mention because of the two posters at the beginning of this thread ).

congrats to you. The only person on this board who even thought the 49ers might make him their number 1 pick. Don't let the haters get to you, most of them don't know what they are talking about. Talk about some posters eating crow.....wow
Originally posted by ezekiel40:

I saw EXACTLY what you are saying the INSTANT I watched film on him. Nobody's saying he would ever be as good as Jerry, but if you watched Jerry every Sunday you see the stride, the smooth, the hands, the fly, the routes, the go get it, the glide, the works. I don't think its a fluke Jerry texted him and invited him to "the hill."
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erJim:
congrats to you. The only person on this board who even thought the 49ers might make him their number 1 pick. Don't let the haters get to you, most of them don't know what they are talking about. Talk about some posters eating crow.....wow

Yeah, kudos to you ezekiel. Nobody's gonna eat crow though. The guys who put you down will just gloss over it and move on. But I assume that if you've been reading the 49ers Webzone (aka: blazing egos) for eight years, you've already got a pretty thick skin.

This is how you get better on third down. Congrats to the 49ers on another excellent pick. This kid looks like Victor Cruz with more speed.
Well played OP. Well played.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by jreff22:
He fielded a trade request by the Minnesota Vikings that presumably would have given the 49ers Minnesota's second-round pick (35th overall) as well as at least one other pick. Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/04/did-49ers-jump-the-gun-on-jenkins-baalke-doesnt-think-so.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks. Interesting. Curious what that other pick would have been. I'm sure Baalke had his reasons. I won't say I wasn't surprised by the pick, but like the Smith pick last year I wasn't upset with it either.

Baalke didn't make that trade with the Vikings because he had good reason to believe that the Rams would have taken Jenkins at pick number 33. Simple.
Baalke bossed last year's draft and still people piss and moan over one pick.
The first few posts in this thread are hilarious to read after we took him at #30, but I can understand the responses...I didn't even know who this guy was back in January.
Share 49ersWebzone