There are 230 users in the forums

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, WR

I think the thing we need to realize as fans watching the college season and now the combine; the scouts and GM's of NFL teams already know the players and where they are slated to be drafted. This also goes for mock draft sites. For example, Aldon Smith was ranked as a 10-15 pick and was considered a reach at #7. I doubt that the scouts and Baalke thought this kid had a good enough combine to take him at #7, they decided this about 95% based on his play on the field that year. They used the Combine to validate their scouting.

The same should be said about Stephen Hill. The scouts know his skill and know where he should be taken, the Combine should further validate their choice to draft him #30 if that's where they have him rated. But, we as fans do not really know.

It would not surprise me if Hill gets drafted in the first round or the 3rd round. We simply do not know.

That being said, I am going to go and look at some more plays of Hill. As a fan, all I can do is watch You Tube videos and compare his play to other successful WR's in the NFL.

But one thing is for sure, there are a lot of good, big, and fast WR's in the draft this year. The 49ers WILL draft one. Which round doesn't matter, we are going to get one, and I am excited about that!
WOW. Hill is going to get 1st round consideration now. Kid is having an AMAZING combine so far. I expected a 4.4. 4.36 is incredible for a guy his size. Outstanding.

Say goodbye to the possibility of getting Hill at our 2nd round pick now.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Stephen Hill is the tied for the Top 40 (4.36), has the 4th best Vert (39.5), and the Top Broad Jump (133.0).

This means as much, if not more, to me than his 40 time. I want a guy who can go up and get the ball.

Anybody have info on his ability to out jump defenders? Did he do that in college at all?

From what I've seen, he's good at tracking the deep passes... is that accurate?

He was strictly a deep threat at GT they told him to run fast down the field and just threw it up to him. He can definitely go up and get it.
I agree with Verticals being just as important. You have a guy that's 6'4 and can outjump most people, thats a huge target to be throwing it up too.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Feb 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
WOW. Hill is going to get 1st round consideration now. Kid is having an AMAZING combine so far. I expected a 4.4. 4.36 is incredible for a guy his size. Outstanding.

I agree, OTC. Only chance we get him in the 2nd is if we move back to the top of the 2nd where he might be. But its not even guaranteed he'll be there either.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Feb 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM ]

I agree. OTC. Only chance we get him in the 2nd is if we move back to the top of the 2nd where he might be. But its not even guaranteed he'll be there either.

ok dream draft:
wright in first (speedy slot guy and deep threat)
hill in 2nd (speedy big tall outside guy)

sucks we probably had to trade up for both of them but then again thats why its a dream draft

but if we get that

crabtree morgan hill on outside while keep wright in slot
then we have VD

man dangerous corps
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i torn between hill and wright and floyd in 1st round

any1 of those guys and ill be happy

hill has best upside but wright and floyd are safer options
Wright's still "safer" despite his 40 in the 4.6s? He did also have RG3 one of the best deep pass QBs tossing to him...and he doesn't have the height advantage obviously.

People seem to think that because he was ranked as the 3rd best WR that he's going to be drafted like he's the 3rd best WR. He could very well fall. Also he's not a great blocker and harbaugh puts a big emphasis on that aspect of a WR's game. What happens on draft day who knows, a lot of these guys may end up rising or falling further than we thought.
Hill has jumped over a lot of WR for the draft now - he'd have to do something stupid before the draft to not get selected within the top 3 receivers.

I agree. OTC. Only chance we get him in the 2nd is if we move back to the top of the 2nd where he might be. But its not even guaranteed he'll be there either.

ok dream draft:
wright in first (speedy slot guy and deep threat)
hill in 2nd (speedy big tall outside guy)

sucks we probably had to trade up for both of them but then again thats why its a dream draft

but if we get that

crabtree morgan hill on outside while keep wright in slot
then we have VD

man dangerous corps
If dreaming, why not trade back to the top of the 2nd. Grab Hill at the top of the 2nd. Streeter at our 2nd.

Hill and Streeter on the outside, Crabs at the Slot with Morgan as a good 4th WR.
Originally posted by mike:
Wright's still "safer" despite his 40 in the 4.6s? He did also have RG3 one of the best deep pass QBs tossing to him...and he doesn't have the height advantage obviously.

People seem to think that because he was ranked as the 3rd best WR that he's going to be drafted like he's the 3rd best WR. He could very well fall. Also he's not a great blocker and harbaugh puts a big emphasis on that aspect of a WR's game. What happens on draft day who knows, a lot of these guys may end up rising or falling further than we thought.

i dont give a s**t about his 40 time watch him play

amazing hands deep threat good balance and vision and plays like he is the fastest WR in the nation

he was RG3 only option without wright he wouldnt have one the heisman i think he led the nation in recieving yards as well

OTC -- I would assume at 4.36 Hill Would demand a lot more double teams than we've been seeing on our other wide-outs.

Originally posted by ishkabibel:

OTC -- I would assume at 4.36 Hill Would demand a lot more double teams than we've been seeing on our other wide-outs.

he would not just because of his speed but size as well

he has to work on footwork and route running but he is already getting help from famous HOF WR this offseason so that is a huge plus shows his work ethic
he would not just because of his speed but size as well

he has to work on footwork and route running but he is already getting help from famous HOF WR this offseason so that is a huge plus shows his work ethic

right. Our speedy WR/KR doesn't have the size and has iffy hands. Scares noone.
  • mike
  • Veteran

amazing hands deep threat good balance and vision and plays like he is the fastest WR in the nation

he was RG3 only option without wright he wouldnt have one the heisman i think he led the nation in recieving yards as well
But you'll see the 40 time wasn't my only knock on him. He's not a great blocker and we know harbaugh takes that into consideration. Guys like hill are proving they can run fast enough to be a "deep threat", have the size and physicality to be solid blockers as well as become a huge target in the redzone.

His spot in the top 3 at the position is no guarantee, even with high production in college. Heck if you wanna throw stats out there Crabtree had better stats than him in college.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM ]
Originally posted by mike:

But you'll see the 40 time wasn't my only knock on him. He's not a great blocker and we know harbaugh takes that into consideration. Guys like hill are proving they can run fast enough to be a "deep threat", have the size and physicality to be solid blockers as well as become a huge target in the redzone.

His spot in the top 3 at the position is no guarantee, even with high production in college. Heck if you wanna throw stats out there Crabtree had better stats than him in college.

ok i see what you mean ya he isnt the best blocker but he will be a slot WR he wont be asked to blocl

we need him to strech the field that allows vernon and crabtree to work the middle of the field where they are most effective in addition to deeep threat he isnt afraid to go across the middle of the field and is a threat to take it to the hiuse any time he touches the ball

i also love hill has a prospect was on his bandwagon long nefore the combine but wright can bring more to this offense (at this point) than hill

would be happy with either at his point though
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Stephen Hill reminds me of Demaryius THomas from the broncos

Thomas is 6'3 has late 4.3 speed but didnt get to run at the combine because of a broken foot
both are real physical and playmakers and great with the ball int their hands

and both went to Georgia Tech

I really want Stephen Hill to be a niner
Share 49ersWebzone