LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, WR

Stephen Hill - 6'5/206 - WR - Georgia Tech
4.45-4.6 40 yard dash
2011 Stats: 28 catches, 820 yards, 29.3 yards per catch, 82 longest Rec., 5 TDs
Projected 3rd-5th Round pick.
Scouting Report

This is a kid coming from the triple option offense which has seen two guys get drafted in the first round as the first receiver taken overall (Calvin Johnson, 07; Demaryius Thomas, 10). Obviously with the triple option, you are called a lot to block and I think that will be a strength of this guy right away. Being that GT runs the triple option, his route tree is extremely limited and it will take him time to learn that at the NFL level, which could lower his stock a bit.

He is so physically imposing at 6'5″ and close to 210 pounds, and that is only going to help him in the process. He is the type of guy that you want to get the ball in space or let him just fly down the field and make a play. He is a great athlete with good speed, though I'm not sure he's as fast as Thomas or Johnson, his predecessors. Averaging over 30 yards per reception and is clearly the top playmaker in the passing game.

PROS: Size, physical, athletic ability, playmaking ability, go up and get the ball, run after catch

CONS: Limited route tree, limited reps in passing game, steady decline since the beginning of the season in production.
http://nflmocks.com/2011/11/22/stephen-hill-wide-receiver-georgia-tech-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

wow, I forgot Demaryius Thomas was the first WR drafted in 2010, over Dez Bryant, lol. Denver really screwed up that draft....and Kyle Wilson or McCourty instead of using 2 late round picks on a CB.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
wow, I forgot Demaryius Thomas was the first WR drafted in 2010, over Dez Bryant, lol. Denver really screwed up that draft....and Kyle Wilson or McCourty instead of using 2 late round picks on a CB.

Regardless of whatever WR they would have picked, they still would have had TeBlows "passing" to him.
I still think Thomas can be a really good WR if he can stay healthy and have an actually QB starting.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Hill declaring for the draft has to put a sore in Nick Toons, Jeff Fuller, Dwight Jones and Marvin McNutts stock. One of these guys has to fall in our lap.
out of those 3 i wouls like fuller he will be the best RZ threat

toon will be another possession WR so wouldnt mind having him either
This is why I'd be okay getting someone like Kendall Wright in the 1st. Draft a guy like this later.
Although, nevermind, I don't think I'd want 2 receivers in the first 3 rounds. But it seems like WR is deep in this class, maybe we don't need one in the first.
I think it all depends on free agency, but I can almost guarantee we will get a big body wr from somewhere, but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a wr in the 1st and maybe 4th or 5th
Really like this kid for the 49ers!

I dont think they messed up Thomas is looking good considering his QB sucks at passing. I personally dont think there's a huge difference in Bryant and Thomas, Dez hasn't reach 1000 yards receiving yet, Im sure we all thought he would be doing that by now.

Especially in a season where Miles Austin pretty much missed the entire season.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Wilson benefited from BSU's hype that year. He was and always will be a nickel CB - the jets were tools for thinking he'd be able to start.
This is the first I've heard of Hill. From what I see on YouTube, I like him the best out of the second tier receivers in the draft. I like his size, ability to make the tough catches, and he looks like he has some YAC (yards after catch) ability too. Behind Hill I think I like Jeff Fuller from Texas A&M. I can't tell if Fuller has YAC ability because I see him is touchdowns, sidelines and curls. A&M use Fuller like we use Crabtree, Not often we put the ball in Crabtree's hand where he can make a play after he catches the ball.
Originally posted by sfout:

Wilson benefited from BSU's hype that year. He was and always will be a nickel CB - the jets were tools for thinking he'd be able to start.
the jets werent planning on him to ever start with revis and cromartie manning the 2 starting cb spots they just thought he he would be really good enough to lock up the slot wr since their defense blitzes a lot with man to man coverage. but anyways about this wr his size alone makes him an intriguing prospect and the fact he averages 29.3 yds per catch is worth the risk to take later on even though he played in the triple option offense. if he runs a 4.4 or a 4.5 dude is gonna make himself a very wanted man, especially coming from GT and every team other than the lions are looking and would love to have a possible calvin johnson 2.0
i like!
Share 49ersWebzone