There are 280 users in the forums

Late round sleeper wrs.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'm going to throw a couple injured players your way:

1) Ryan Broyles is going to be a late-round draftee, at best. His size/speed combination is not very good, and he is going to be out some time due to his ACL, but we are talking about the all-time NCAA receptions leader. I see a guy who has outstanding football awareness/IQ and someone to keep in the back of your mind, even if he is not fully recovered to play until Week Six. Last year, in my draft, I had Marcus Cannon as a 4th round selectee (the Pats grabbed him in Round 5), and he has been a nice mid-season addition to the NE roster, and may be the guy to replace Brian Waters.

2) Chris Owusu- He is one more concussion away from being sent to goofyland, but he was invited to the combine, and he understands Harbaugh's offense and system. Probably not a player I would draft, but someone to maybe target as a priority free agent to compete for the fifth WR position on the roster, as he adds special teams value.

Broyles wont last till late IMO
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
LaVon Brazill - 5'11/191 - Ohio
TJ Graham - 6'0/185 - NC State
Nelson Rosario - 6'5/219 - UCLA
Kamar Jorden - 6'3/200 - Bowling Green
Jarius Wright - 5'10/180 - Arkansas
Thomas Mayo - 6'2/200 - California(PA)

This kid was the best player at UCLA too bad their QB's blow. We should pray for Rosario if 49ers can get him he's got skills! .

He would be much more talked about if he was faster. If he can run in the 4.5's he will get some chatter. Had 1161 yards and 5 TDs this year. It's just that estimated 4.67 he runs that could hurt him.
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'm going to throw a couple injured players your way:

1) Ryan Broyles is going to be a late-round draftee, at best. His size/speed combination is not very good, and he is going to be out some time due to his ACL, but we are talking about the all-time NCAA receptions leader. I see a guy who has outstanding football awareness/IQ and someone to keep in the back of your mind, even if he is not fully recovered to play until Week Six. Last year, in my draft, I had Marcus Cannon as a 4th round selectee (the Pats grabbed him in Round 5), and he has been a nice mid-season addition to the NE roster, and may be the guy to replace Brian Waters.

2) Chris Owusu- He is one more concussion away from being sent to goofyland, but he was invited to the combine, and he understands Harbaugh's offense and system. Probably not a player I would draft, but someone to maybe target as a priority free agent to compete for the fifth WR position on the roster, as he adds special teams value.

Broyles wont last till late IMO

Agreed, Broyles goes around the 4th if he is showing a progressive recovery. Not that big but he is pretty quick, with plenty of production and film for scouts to build him up in their heads before the draft.
Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M. 6-4, 217. Runs 4-5. Son of ex-49er Jeff Fuller, who ended his career short with a spiral injury. Fuller projects as a 3rd, 4th or 5th rouder. Uses his long arms to create separation, very good blocker, catches with his hand - all good WC offense traits. Needs some coaching on techniques, but we are talking about late rounder. I'm sure JH and Co. can coach him up.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M. 6-4, 217. Runs 4-5. Son of ex-49er Jeff Fuller, who ended his career short with a spiral injury. Fuller projects as a 3rd, 4th or 5th rouder. Uses his long arms to create separation, very good blocker, catches with his hand - all good WC offense traits. Needs some coaching on techniques, but we are talking about late rounder. I'm sure JH and Co. can coach him up.

It's against the rules to use thos long arms to get separation in the NFL. I'm not so sure about that 4.5. All of the current reports on him are lackluster, at best.
he may be more of a mod round guy, but jermaine kearse at washington is a pretty good receiver...he is built more like a running back, pretty stout, and has RAC ability
Originally posted by hofer36:
he may be more of a mod round guy, but jermaine kearse at washington is a pretty good receiver...he is built more like a running back, pretty stout, and has RAC ability

agree that he is a decnet athlete, but his hands pretty inconsistent during the Locker years. I never hid that I was a fan of Jake, so this may come across as pretty biased, but if those UW receivers (including Kearse) brought their hands on game days, Locker would have had much more impressive #s.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by hofer36:

agree that he is a decnet athlete, but his hands pretty inconsistent during the Locker years. I never hid that I was a fan of Jake, so this may come across as pretty biased, but if those UW receivers (including Kearse) brought their hands on game days, Locker would have had much more impressive #s.

i agree--he dropped alot of passes....should make him eminently qualified to be niners wr
It's against the rules to use thos long arms to get separation in the NFL. I'm not so sure about that 4.5. All of the current reports on him are lackluster, at best.
I didn't say the guy was a world beater. We are talking about late round guys, right? And you telling me that big strong WR's don't use there arms to gain separation in the NFL?
I didn't say the guy was a world beater. We are talking about late round guys, right? And you telling me that big strong WR's don't use there arms to gain separation in the NFL?

Right, but the thread is about sleepers, not big names that are setting speed records for their dives down draft boards. About the long arms and separation deal, if you EXTEND the arm, you get the call. It's not like college, where you are allowed more aggressive contact before the ball is in the air. That's why a lot of the big guys tank in the NFL. They can't play the game the way they have succeeded in the past because the rules are different. Some guys get away with a shoulder or forearm pop, but that extended arm is an obvious call, even when you don't get much out of it (ask Darrell Jackson about that). It's like the arm wrapped around the body on a holding call.

Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Penn State Derrick Moye

I like Moye too, he's extremely raw, didn't have much of a chance to show what's he got in the Penn State offense but he's a great athlete with great size, probably needs to bulk up a little, but I'd love to see him drafted in Rounds 5-7.
Can someone give me the 411 on Wes Kemp?
Right, but the thread is about sleepers, not big names that are setting speed records for their dives down draft boards. About the long arms and separation deal, if you EXTEND the arm, you get the call. It's not like college, where you are allowed more aggressive contact before the ball is in the air. That's why a lot of the big guys tank in the NFL. They can't play the game the way they have succeeded in the past because the rules are different. Some guys get away with a shoulder or forearm pop, but that extended arm is an obvious call, even when you don't get much out of it (ask Darrell Jackson about that). It's like the arm wrapped around the body on a holding call.

Alright man.....
coming into the season he was supposed to be surefire 1st round pick going in late first rounf

what happened was not only did he drop to a 3-5th round prosprct but he got overttoken on the depth chart and became the #2 WR

he is big and does have speed but for some reason he never gets open (probablly because he runs lackluster routes)
Late Round Sleeper I'd love this team to get...

Jordan White, Western Michigan: 6'0, 215 ... He had his best season in 2011 and set several school receiving records (13 starts), finishing with an FBS-best 140 catches for 1,911 yards (13.7) and 17 touchdowns, earning All-America and First Team All-MAC honors. White finished his career as the school?s all-time career leader in catches (306) and receiving yards (4,187).

4.43-4.64 40 yard dash estimation

RS Senior (6th year)

Scouting Report

White shows great quickness off the snap getting into his routes. He obviously has a very good understanding of the game (sixth year senior) and has clearly spent a lot of time off the field working on his craft. Very good hands, and does a good job catching the ball away from his frame. Absolutely love his size combination. Obviously his height is not ideal, but he has a solid, muscular frame and he runs low after the catch. Not afraid of contact, which can possibly sometimes be a negative for him, as he has had many lasting injuries throughout his collegiate career. Obviously, his numbers are inflated a bit being that WMU throws the ball a heck of a lot, but he's made the most of his opportunities. Deceptively good speed. Will occasionally lose focus and drop passes/struggle with ball control. Really excels in intermediate routes where he can utilize his quickness and strength after the catch.
PROS: Strength, size, hands, production, quickness, solid speed, catches ball away from his frame

CONS: Timed speed could be an issue, though he looks fast on the field, injury history will be a huge hit to his stock as a whole, level of competition

My take: His injuries, small school, and height make him a prime candidate to last till rounds 5-7, possibly even UDFA. However he has battled back from those injuries to produce the best statistical season of WR's last year. There is very little "wow" factor about him but he gets the job done, tough as nails, great hands, not afraid to launch himself to make the catch infront of safeties and will do anything to make the play. He's a very heady receiver, attacks the ball, and tries to ensure that if he doesnt catch it no one will. (Bad throws by the QB caused him to play defender on allot of plays, showed his aggressiveness in attacking defenders to take away the interception).

He is the model of a guy who does nothing but produce at the college level, but may even go undrafted due to teams favoring the potential athletic height/speed WR's over the production of small school workman-like receivers. Projects as a #4 WR in the NFL, but depending on how he transitions to CB's jamming him, could easily become a dependable #2-3 move-the-chains type receiver. Even if he never becomes anything more than a #3 or 4 guy, his work ethic, attitude, and perseverance will rub off on everyone else in the WR corps and force them to work just as hard to stay ahead of him. For a possible day 3 pick, he'll be a steal.

Share 49ersWebzone