There are 169 users in the forums

Late round sleeper wrs.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Belcher I don't think is that big. Did a little more reading and it looks like he's actually a shade under 6-3. More like McNutt size.

nvm then
Thats what cought my eye with Tuinei at 6-5 he can get up and get it. Not comparing him to C. Johnson but the difference his hieght makes is huge. something this team does not have.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Thats what cought my eye with Tuinei at 6-5 he can get up and get it. Not comparing him to C. Johnson but the difference his hieght makes is huge. something this team does not have.

Bad hands though, he drops some easy passes. It's why he probably won't get drafted.
Gerell Robinson from ASU is a candidate. He should measure 6-4 (some sites list him as 6'3). I think his deep speed is very sub par, and he won't be a deep threat. But I like his physicality that he brings, and his football IQ is pretty good (played QB in high school). I think his best football is still ahead of him and he is a raw prospect, still learning the WR position. I don't really know who I'd compare Robinson to.

Rishard Matthews is another guy (form Nevada) that is flying under the radar. He will have great YAC, great hands, great route running.

T.Y. Hilton is of course a name most people are familiar with, should be a great pickup in the mid rounds. He is a Donnie Avery with even more talent.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Gerell Robinson from ASU is a candidate. He should measure 6-4 (some sites list him as 6'3). I think his deep speed is very sub par, and he won't be a deep threat. But I like his physicality that he brings, and his football IQ is pretty good (played QB in high school). I think his best football is still ahead of him and he is a raw prospect, still learning the WR position. I don't really know who I'd compare Robinson to.

Rishard Matthews is another guy (form Nevada) that is flying under the radar. He will have great YAC, great hands, great route running.

T.Y. Hilton is of course a name most people are familiar with, should be a great pickup in the mid rounds. He is a Donnie Avery with even more talent.

Robinson has good size, but I notice he is not exactly quick or fast either. His strength allows him to get RAC, and size helps him some on jump balls but I don't see him as a guy who will develop into a starter in the NFL. I could be wrong, but that's my first impression from what I've seen of Gerrell. I think he'll measure in around 6-3.

As far as late round guys, I see two poor-man's Crabtree type of players. Matthews, as you mentioned, and Jordan White of Western Michigan. Others who could be late-round steals are:

Devon Wylie, Fresno St. -- potential NFL slot man.
Greg Childs, Arkansas -- If he ever gets back to his pre-injury form, he will be a starting NFL WR. NFL size and playmaking ability.
Juron Criner, Arizona -- In the right system, he could be a productive player.
Chris Summers, Liberty -- He may not get drafted, but with fantastic workouts, he could. He has NFL size at 6-3 212 and was very productive, putting up back to back 1000+ yard seasons, including an awesome 15 TD season last year despite missing a game.

Robinson has good size, but I notice he is not exactly quick or fast either. His strength allows him to get RAC, and size helps him some on jump balls but I don't see him as a guy who will develop into a starter in the NFL. I could be wrong, but that's my first impression from what I've seen of Gerrell. I think he'll measure in around 6-3.

As far as late round guys, I see two poor-man's Crabtree type of players. Matthews, as you mentioned, and Jordan White of Western Michigan. Others who could be late-round steals are:

Greg Childs, Arkansas -- If he ever gets back to his pre-injury form, he will be a starting NFL WR. NFL size and playmaking ability.
Chris Summers, Liberty -- He may not get drafted, but with fantastic workouts, he could. He has NFL size at 6-3 212 and was very productive, putting up back to back 1000+ yard seasons, including an awesome 15 TD season last year despite missing a game.

How bad was Childs inury? His numbers preinjury were consisntely good and even pulling the trigger a round early might be a ballsy gamble but one well worth it.

How can you label Criner a steal and criticize Robinson for lack of burst/speed? Its not just the homerism in me, but I'm POSITIVE Robinson will run a better 40 then Criner and display more quickness than Criner in work outs.

Here is a good read on Criner (Wes Bunting)
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-Arizona-WR-Juron-Criner-a-big-time-wide-out-prospect.html

The reason why I think Robinson has a future and Criner doesn't, is Robinson showed excellent talent at beating zone coverage and making the right reads, which is why he exploded in production his SR year. Later rounders make it in the NFL for two reasons 1) ridiculous athleticism or 2) amazing football IQ with great work ethic. I think Robinson fits into #2. Having said that. I don't think Robinson will ever be a #1 or #2 WR, at best he will be a #3 WR that is a situational weapon. Robinson won't be the outside WR most teams try to turn 6-3+ WR's into, but I think a smart coach will see his ability to work the slot.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM ]
double post...
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM ]

How can you label Criner a steal and criticize Robinson for lack of burst/speed? Its not just the homerism in me, but I'm POSITIVE Robinson will run a better 40 then Criner and display more quickness than Criner in work outs.

Here is a good read on Criner (Wes Bunting)
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-Arizona-WR-Juron-Criner-a-big-time-wide-out-prospect.html

The reason why I think Robinson has a future and Criner doesn't, is Robinson showed excellent talent at beating zone coverage and making the right reads, which is why he exploded in production his SR year. Later rounders make it in the NFL for two reasons 1) ridiculous athleticism or 2) amazing football IQ with great work ethic. I think Robinson fits into #2. Having said that. I don't think Robinson will ever be a #1 or #2 WR, at best he will be a #3 WR that is a situational weapon. Robinson won't be the outside WR most teams try to turn 6-3+ WR's into, but I think a smart coach will see his ability to work the slot.

If you've read some of my comments on Criner in other threads, I give him the exact same criticism, so no bias there. Robinson has equal amount of opportunity to do something. I like Criner a little more just because he has been consistent, but fully acknowledged a bevy of issues -- durability, inflated numbers from system, lack of speed.
I'm going to throw a couple injured players your way:

1) Ryan Broyles is going to be a late-round draftee, at best. His size/speed combination is not very good, and he is going to be out some time due to his ACL, but we are talking about the all-time NCAA receptions leader. I see a guy who has outstanding football awareness/IQ and someone to keep in the back of your mind, even if he is not fully recovered to play until Week Six. Last year, in my draft, I had Marcus Cannon as a 4th round selectee (the Pats grabbed him in Round 5), and he has been a nice mid-season addition to the NE roster, and may be the guy to replace Brian Waters.

2) Chris Owusu- He is one more concussion away from being sent to goofyland, but he was invited to the combine, and he understands Harbaugh's offense and system. Probably not a player I would draft, but someone to maybe target as a priority free agent to compete for the fifth WR position on the roster, as he adds special teams value.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:

1) Ryan Broyles is going to be a late-round draftee, at best. His size/speed combination is not very good, and he is going to be out some time due to his ACL, but we are talking about the all-time NCAA receptions leader. I see a guy who has outstanding football awareness/IQ and someone to keep in the back of your mind, even if he is not fully recovered to play until Week Six. Last year, in my draft, I had Marcus Cannon as a 4th round selectee (the Pats grabbed him in Round 5), and he has been a nice mid-season addition to the NE roster, and may be the guy to replace Brian Waters.

2) Chris Owusu- He is one more concussion away from being sent to goofyland, but he was invited to the combine, and he understands Harbaugh's offense and system. Probably not a player I would draft, but someone to maybe target as a priority free agent to compete for the fifth WR position on the roster, as he adds special teams value.

I was a fan of Owusu, but worry about all those concussions

Yes, it's true. Owusu at this point is too much of a risk I believe for a team to draft him. He will be a Priority UDFA since there is really no risk there, and all reward if he pans out. But still, I have read that his football career may already be over. There are concerns that he will never be able to play again due to the risk of becoming a vegetable with one more concussion.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Yes, it's true. Owusu at this point is too much of a risk I believe for a team to draft him. He will be a Priority UDFA since there is really no risk there, and all reward if he pans out. But still, I have read that his football career may already be over. There are concerns that he will never be able to play again due to the risk of becoming a vegetable with one more concussion.

didnt he have 3 concussions this year alone? Taking that into account you can probably guess with a good measure that he's had a double digit # of concussions since high school. I hope the kid tries to get into coaching much like Brian Johnson the former QB of the Utes, if you don't play it doesn't mean you cant use it helping other players.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
LaVon Brazill - 5'11/191 - Ohio
TJ Graham - 6'0/185 - NC State
Nelson Rosario - 6'5/219 - UCLA
Kamar Jorden - 6'3/200 - Bowling Green
Jarius Wright - 5'10/180 - Arkansas
Thomas Mayo - 6'2/200 - California(PA)

This kid was the best player at UCLA too bad their QB's blow. We should pray for Rosario if 49ers can get him he's got skills! .
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
LaVon Brazill - 5'11/191 - Ohio
TJ Graham - 6'0/185 - NC State
Nelson Rosario - 6'5/219 - UCLA
Kamar Jorden - 6'3/200 - Bowling Green
Jarius Wright - 5'10/180 - Arkansas
Thomas Mayo - 6'2/200 - California(PA)

You're crazy if you consider Wright a late round or day 3 prospect, he'll be gone before the 4th round is over.

Round 4 is on day 3 :)
Share 49ersWebzone