LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffrery, WR, South Carolina

You mean Jeffery isn't jitter-bug quick? No way! Alert the presses! Shocking news!
he can't generate the burst needed to separate on long routes … Lacks plant-and-drive agility, spending too much time rounding his cuts and gathering at the top of the route … Has had ball concentration issues that resulted in several costly fumbles … Does not have the second gear needed to separate and turn a small catch into a big gain … Needs to explode out of his cuts better and this is caused mostly when he fails to drop his route in his patterns

Scouting report... for Marques Colston! http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/408644

alshon is a horrible route runner and slow

if he looses the weight that should increase his speed enough to seperate at least a decent amount

route running will be fixed by nfl coaches as long as he is a willing learner (dont know if he is or not)

he has all the intagibles all his problems are completely physical and easily coachable

at the very least he can come in and be a RZ target from day 1
Originally posted by oldman9er:
he can't generate the burst needed to separate on long routes … Lacks plant-and-drive agility, spending too much time rounding his cuts and gathering at the top of the route … Has had ball concentration issues that resulted in several costly fumbles … Does not have the second gear needed to separate and turn a small catch into a big gain … Needs to explode out of his cuts better and this is caused mostly when he fails to drop his route in his patterns

Scouting report... for Marques Colston! http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/408644

Big difference, Colston set school records and was far better at generating separation than Jeffery, Colston also improved every single year in college and never showed up looking fat.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

if he looses the weight that should increase his speed enough to seperate at least a decent amount

route running will be fixed by nfl coaches as long as he is a willing learner (dont know if he is or not)

he has all the intagibles all his problems are completely physical and easily coachable

So can Fleener, without the weight-loss issues, and already knowing the offense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
So can Fleener, without the weight-loss issues, and already knowing the offense.

thats true but alson just has a huge upside i have faith our coaching can work on his route running if im not mistaken SC has a good back and they run a lot so i really dont doubt his route runnning will improve once we have him

the combine will be telling if his trainer is right and he is at playing weight i have no issue picking him up at 30

alshon is quick of the snap he just doesnt have a 2nd gear since he is quick off the snap it shows he has some speed if he gets fit he should be the pick over fleener

we already have 1 elite TE and a very good #2 TE we still dont even have a great WR
thats true but alson just has a huge upside i have faith our coaching can work on his route running if im not mistaken SC has a good back and they run a lot so i really dont doubt his route runnning will improve once we have him

the combine will be telling if his trainer is right and he is at playing weight i have no issue picking him up at 30

alshon is quick of the snap he just doesnt have a 2nd gear since he is quick off the snap it shows he has some speed if he gets fit he should be the pick over fleener

we already have 1 elite TE and a very good #2 TE we still dont even have a great WR

Since when???

Now that is something I can agree on! I am liking Fleener over Jeffery.

... and Hofstra competition is = to SEC?
... and Colston was largely thought to be headed for the TE position due to his size.
Speed isn't what gets you seperation in the NFL it's your route running and ability to disguise your route and read defenses. Besides he's already shown that when the ball is in the air he's a lot more likely to come down with it than not. He played against defenses that were very very good and had plenty of speed.
Just FYI... Mike Mayock just stated that he has Jeffery as his # 5 wideout right now. ( 36 minutes in )

awesome Q+A audio = http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Conference-Call-Mike-Mayock/f2091ab8-49b9-4263-aedf-00267197ebdb

I have been saying for some time now that Jeffery is headed to the second round, and I wouldn't be shocked to see a fall to the third. I have him pegged in the mid-forties now, which is a middle second rounder.

I am a bit skeptical of the reports that say he is 249 pounds and running in the 4.8's right now. Might be a bit of misinformation coming from Camp Jeffery to make the expectation so low that when he steps in at 235 and runs a 4.7, people aren't freaked out. However, if he is at 249, and runs a 4.8, he will be a 4th rounder at best. Nobody is going to burn a pick in the first three rounds for a guy that fat, slow and undedicated.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Just FYI... Mike Mayock just stated that he has Jeffery as his # 5 wideout right now. ( 36 minutes in )

awesome Q+A audio = http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Conference-Call-Mike-Mayock/f2091ab8-49b9-4263-aedf-00267197ebdb
He is not in my top 10. I've got a number of mid-rounders graded higher.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I have been saying for some time now that Jeffery is headed to the second round. I am a bit skeptical of the reports that say he is 249 pounds and running in the 4.8's right now. Might be a bit of misinformation coming from Camp Jeffery to make the expectation so low that when he steps in at 235 and runs a 4.7, people aren't freaked out.

no some observer was at indy he saw a DE and thought it was jeffery

jeffery was at TB at the time and his trainer says he is in extremelly good shape as he has been in the training facily 9 hours a day 6 days a week
no some observer was at indy he saw a DE and thought it was jeffery

jeffery was at TB at the time and his trainer says he is in extremelly good shape as he has been in the training facily 9 hours a day 6 days a week
It is all speculation now. The truth will be revealed real soon. There is no hiding in about a week.
Since when???

name 5 #2 TE that are better than walker
i can only think of hernandez
Share 49ersWebzone