LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffrery, WR, South Carolina

Im off this bandwagon which means we will probably draft him
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
The difference is that AJ played against the best defensive players in the country and with a pretty terrible QB situation and still dominated. To say he can't get open isn't supported by facts. And Aj isn't some 6'7" freak, he's a much more normal sie at 6'4". What has everyone so amazed is his ability to make tough catches, his hands and hand strength, and his jump ball ability.

Dominated? He went game after game with like 20 yards receiving this season. Huh?

Yeah lets condemn the guy for 5 bad games this season as his main QB gets kicked off the team and his back up just sucked. Not to mention losing Lattimore in the same time frame. Seriously Phoenix do you even follow college football or the Gamecocks? Cause you sound imo completely clueless about their situation on offense this year. Plus after his bowl game performance with a broken hand just makes me question your opinion.
Who ya gonna call... Myth Busters? ---> http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2013 ;

NFL Draft: Alshon Jeffery is About to Prove a lot of People Wrong

His trainer sees things differently. Jeffery is now stationed at the Athlete's Compound in Tampa where many of super-agent Eugene Parker's clients go to prepare for NFL Draft season. His training is being overseen by their Director of Performance who has worked with athletes ranging from Ndamukong Suh to Derek Jeter who he personally trains in the MLB off season. Jeffrey is currently facing a regimen of 9-hour days.

"He has weight issues"

Jeffery's trainer said. " I will tell you- he is at his playing weight. He's ready to show people that he will be really good in this league. I really mean that. His body fat is where it needs to be and he has adapted to our lifestyle management program that he will be carrying with him"

"He is slow."

Jeffery has run the 40-yard dash in the mid 4.4's and is projected to run between a 4.45 and a 4.65 at the NFL scouting combine. When I asked his trainer where he was in testing for the .40, he just told me that if you look at those numbers, he will be in perfect position and form to be on "the better side of that."

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Who ya gonna call... Myth Busters? ---> http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2013 ;

NFL Draft: Alshon Jeffery is About to Prove a lot of People Wrong

His trainer sees things differently. Jeffery is now stationed at the Athlete's Compound in Tampa where many of super-agent Eugene Parker's clients go to prepare for NFL Draft season. His training is being overseen by their Director of Performance who has worked with athletes ranging from Ndamukong Suh to Derek Jeter who he personally trains in the MLB off season. Jeffrey is currently facing a regimen of 9-hour days.

"He has weight issues"

Jeffery's trainer said. " I will tell you- he is at his playing weight. He's ready to show people that he will be really good in this league. I really mean that. His body fat is where it needs to be and he has adapted to our lifestyle management program that he will be carrying with him"

"He is slow."

Jeffery has run the 40-yard dash in the mid 4.4's and is projected to run between a 4.45 and a 4.65 at the NFL scouting combine. When I asked his trainer where he was in testing for the .40, he just told me that if you look at those numbers, he will be in perfect position and form to be on "the better side of that."

Not this tired b******t all over again. What does anyone expect the trainer to say? "Yeah, my client is crap and he's likely to show up for his first NFL training camp out-of-shape?"

James Hardy used this same institution to prep for the draft, doing so didn't help him gain separation or make him worth a damn as a wide receiver and he ended up a bust, I'm sure his trainer at the time was using the same flowery language about him too. "James Hardy is a physical marvel, he's a beast, he's coming to destroy people...blah...blah."

These questions about Jeffery won't go away until he proves he can get it done against the pro's and consistently gain separation from NFL defensive backs.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Yeah lets condemn the guy for 5 bad games this season as his main QB gets kicked off the team and his back up just sucked. Not to mention losing Lattimore in the same time frame. Seriously Phoenix do you even follow college football or the Gamecocks? Cause you sound imo completely clueless about their situation on offense this year. Plus after his bowl game performance with a broken hand just makes me question your opinion.

Alscuses???

No ability to separate

Lacks top-end speed

Prone to showing up fat and out of shape at the beginning of the season

Gets run-down by safeties and linebackers.

Lots to like about the guy, I agree.
Not this tired b******t all over again. What does anyone expect the trainer to say? "Yeah, my client is crap and he's likely to show up for his first NFL training camp out-of-shape?"

You are far too angrily invested in the annihilation of Alshon Jeffery, dude...

Therefore, your opinion of him is invalrod.

No, but seriously... The trainer would lose lots of credibility for going out of his way to over-hype the coming "bust" of AJ. The agent? Well, ya got me there...but not the trainer, huh?

( and me? I don't really have an all-encompassing desire for us to draft AJ... but I am at least keeping a somewhat open mind about what I see and read. You?

You are far too angrily invested in the annihilation of Alshon Jeffery, dude...

Therefore, your opinion of him is invalrod.

No, but seriously... The trainer would lose lots of credibility for going out of his way to over-hype the coming "bust" of AJ. The agent? Well, ya got me there...but not the trainer, huh?

( and me? I don't really have an all-encompassing desire for us to draft AJ... but I am at least keeping a somewhat open mind about what I see and read. You?

Why? The trainer isn't invested in the guy being a successful NFL player, as long as the guy make's a decent showing at the combine, the trainer is happy and will have plenty of additional clientele in the following years. Trainers opinions of their clients should be placed on a pedestal somewhere slightly more credible than the mothers of those same clients. They'll say whatever as long as the guy does decently at the combines, that is all that matters.

And no, I don't have an open mind, I see a bust in the waiting. Coming in THAT out of shape for the season raises up huge red flags, the fact that he had to rely on his size advantage so much to plays is another, I see a lot of negatives about the guy. Definitely positives too and if he got his s**t together he could be one of the best WR's in football but his actions haven't shown the type of desire/determination that reaching that level would require.

One thing I've noticed is when people debate this strongly about a guy, with this many strong feelings and this many negative feelings about him, it usually doesn't turn out well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM ]
Why? The trainer isn't invested in the guy being a successful NFL player, as long as the guy make's a decent showing at the combine, the trainer is happy and will have plenty of additional clientele in the following years. Trainers opinions of their clients should be placed on a pedestal somewhere slightly more credible than the mothers of those same clients. They'll say whatever as long as the guy does decently at the combines, that is all that matters.

Read this ^ back again, as it didn't make sense to me. Why would a trainer "say whatever as long as the player does decently at the Combine" make sense... if the player didn't do decently at the Combine? (as you are sure AJ won't)

If a trainer in 2012 says "oh trust me... this guy can do XX and do XX at the Combine" and the player ends up sucking horribly after instead?

What happens in 2013 when the same trainer gives the statement to another player? Still as credible, is the trainer?
Read this ^ back again, as it didn't make sense to me. Why would a trainer "say whatever as long as the player does decently at the Combine" make sense... if the player didn't do decently at the Combine? (as you are sure AJ won't)

If a trainer in 2012 says "oh trust me... this guy can do XX and do XX at the Combine" and the player ends up sucking horribly after instead?

What happens in 2013 when the same trainer gives the statement to another player? Still as credible, is the trainer?

Read BACK what I wrote, forwards and backwards until you comprehend what I wrote.

I NEVER said I wasn't sure he wouldn't do well at the combine. He might out-do Bo Jackson and run a 4.10 for all I care, I still don't think the guy will succeed in the NFL.

The point I was making is that a trainer is ONLY concerned with the player's performance at the combines, their actual performance as a pro, the trainer can shrug and chalk it up to mental aptitude, determination or a failure to follow the pre-set program...whatever the deal is. So the trainer can afford to talk up guys left and right, as long as they show decently, not even great, just decently, then its a win, and let's face it, Jeffery is coming into this thing with pretty low expectations, people wouldn't be shocked if he showed up weighing 250 and run a 4.75 so defying expectations in this case isn't the most difficult thing.

If he shows up weighing 235 and runs a 4.6, well hell, he's already doing better than expected.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This dude looks more like a TE than a WR. A lot will depend on his forty time.

I never said I wasn't sure he wouldn't do well at the combine. He might out-do Bo Jackson and run a 4.10 for all I care, I still don't think the guy will succeed in the NFL.

The point I was making is that a trainer is ONLY concerned with the player's performance at the combines, their actual performance is a pro, the trainer can shrug and chalk it up to mental aptitude, determination or a failure to follow the pre-set program...whatever the deal is.

Okay. I understand you a little better with that. True enough... trainer's credibility goes only as far asthe Combine performance that he is training you for.

This particular trainer said this also, however...

" I will tell you- he is at his playing weight. He's ready to show people that he will be really good in this league. I really mean that. His body fat is where it needs to be and he has adapted to our lifestyle management program that he will be carrying with him "

and this is the part that may or may not hold true, as we both know. You say it won't... I say, I'm not sure.. that he might be worth the risk, seeing as the guaranteed money/contract for a late 1st wouldn't be all that detrimental.

I think we both say, "let's see at the Combine" ... yes? So... let's...
Okay. I understand you a little better with that. True enough... trainer's credibility goes only as far asthe Combine performance that he is training you for.

This particular trainer said this also, however...

" I will tell you- he is at his playing weight. He's ready to show people that he will be really good in this league. I really mean that. His body fat is where it needs to be and he has adapted to our lifestyle management program that he will be carrying with him "

and this is the part that may or may not hold true, as we both know. You say it won't... I say, I'm not sure.. that he might be worth the risk, seeing as the guaranteed money/contract for a late 1st wouldn't be all that detrimental.

I think we both say, "let's see at the Combine" ... yes? So... let's...

Not really. I don't think the combine's will prove much of anything quite honestly. Whether he does terribly or greatly, the questions will still linger.

Will he show up in shape for training camp?

Will his weight yo-yo throughout his career?

How much effort will he put in once he gets that first big check?

Can he get separation consistently against superior defensive backs and superior defenders overall?

if alshon runs a sub 4.55 ish time i will take him in a heartbeat

he automatically comes in as an elite red zone target

he beats every1 on jump balls
perfect hands (no drops)
great body control

in other words at 6 4 he is a natural WR

only thing he needs to work on is
route running- coaches can improve this
speed- get rid if excess body fat should take care of this
Matt Barrows @mattbarrows
Mike Mayock says South Carolina WR has trouble separating .... "the same with Mohamed Sanu" Said 40 times will be critical for those guys.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Matt Barrows @mattbarrows
Mike Mayock says South Carolina WR has trouble separating .... "the same with Mohamed Sanu" Said 40 times will be critical for those guys.

The South Carolina homer will tell you that you're crazy for posting that......yet its the SAME OBSERVATION everyone is making. One...two..three talking heads...okay, but in this case all these guys are reaching the same exact conclusion, Jeffery can't get separation for s**t, that's a fatal blow to a WR in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone