LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffrery, WR, South Carolina

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Phoenix49ers.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
NFL Draft wizards everywhere who still wear a T-shirt in the swimming pool started talking about how he has trouble containing his weight. They questioned his motivation and began moving him down draft boards labeling him the next Dwayne Jarrett or Big Mike Williams. A big body with hands that cannot separate, cannot get into routes quick enough, and who will end up getting too fat.

His trainer sees things differently. Jeffery is now stationed at the Athlete's Compound in Tampa where many of super-agent Eugene Parker's clients go to prepare for NFL Draft season. His training is being overseen by their Director of Performance who has worked with athletes ranging from Ndamukong Suh to Derek Jeter who he personally trains in the MLB off season. Jeffrey is currently facing a regimen of 9-hour days that looks like this:

Day 1: Track Work Day 2: Position-Specific (Routes, 3-cones, speed cuts, etc) Day 3: Early Lift, Mild lactic acid breakdown, Rest/Regeneration Day 4: Track Work Day 5: Position Specific Day 6: Early Lift, Mild lactic acid breakdown, Rest/Regeneration Day 7: film / relax / extra massage, recovery, etc.

Jeffrey's most often criticized attributes of his game are as follows:

"He has weight issues"

"He's a diamond in the rough" Jeffery's trainer said. "He's taken to all of it so well. Our program is about learning how to be a pro, making that transition. Understanding the value of rest, regeneration and nutrition in the same way you value the actual 'working out'. The first thing we looked at with Alshon was making sure we didn't lose any bit of his muscle mass. Not that he was out of shape when he got here, but (with all these guys) our job is to make sure their bodies are in the best position to get the biggest return (on the various tests.) That means maximizing angle and force production as well as explosiveness while pounding fundamentals. (Alshon's) got a bright future ahead of him. As far as his exact weight- ahh- it doesn't even really matter. If there are issues about that, I will tell you- he is at his playing weight. He's ready to show people that he will be really good in this league. I really mean that"

"He is slow."

Jeffery has run the 40-yard dash in the mid 4.4's and is projected to run between a 4.45 and a 4.65 at the NFL scouting combine. When I asked his trainer where he was in testing for the .40, he just told me that if you look at those numbers, he will be in perfect position and form to be on "the better side of that."

"He doesn't come off the line of scrimmage fast enough and makes sloppy cuts."

"If I'm going to compare him to anyone, as far as that stuff- breaks, line explosion, change of direction- He's got it. Guys like Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant, James Hardy- obviously he's a bigger guy but he's fast and moves as well as any of those guys with that stuff."

damn 9 hour workouts a day

hes trying at least

Which is the typical b******t you hear. Don't you know, every guy is putting in 15 hours a day training at this time of year.

One of my best friends from high-school works as a trainer at Athletes Performance in Phoenix and has basically said that there's all kinds of myths and legends that are put out there. Guys who train 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours a day are reported as training 5-6....etc. The claims that people make are about as legit as the media screaming that a guy has 1 percent bodyfat when A. that low level of bodyfat is impossible and B they are more like 7 to 8 percent in reality.

Nobody's working out for 9 hours a day, the nervous system couldn't handle it, on top of that, what do you expect the trainer to say when he's getting paid by the guy? Mike Williams and David Terrell had big-time trainers as well, we'll see what happens at the combine but as stated before, the guy hasn't proven he can get separation consistently and he's been run down from behind a few times too many for my liking.

Also....LOL at this comment

"As far as his exact weight- ahh- it doesn't even really matter. If there are issues about that, I will tell you- he is at his playing weight. He's ready to show people that he will be really good in this league. I really mean that" "

Translation-"He's slightly chubby, but we're working on get rid of his pudge belly before the combines start, we got this under control."

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM ]
that rumor has been proven false that rumor said he ran a 4.88 and weighed 249 in indy this offseason he hasnt been in indy all year hes been working in TB

Yeah I don't really believe it, but we'll find out when the combine rolls around.
Originally posted by saniner:
Yeah I don't really believe it, but we'll find out when the combine rolls around.

I expect him to run about a 4.5-4.6, which won't help claims of him being unable to get separation from defensive backs. I do think that the guy could be a potential #1 WR if he worked his ass off and really dedicated himself but you honestly have to question how dedicated a guy is when he shows up at the beginning of his final season in college looking the way he did. That's a bright, screaming red flag right off the bat. He's showing up out-of-shape, before he's been paid a dime, what happens when he gets paid, and now has his money, what's going to drive him to show up in shape then?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I expect him to run about a 4.5-4.6, which won't help claims of him being unable to get separation from defensive backs. I do think that the guy could be a potential #1 WR if he worked his ass off and really dedicated himself but you honestly have to question how dedicated a guy is when he shows up at the beginning of his final season in college looking the way he did. That's a bright, screaming red flag right off the bat. He's showing up out-of-shape, before he's been paid a dime, what happens when he gets paid, and now has his money, what's going to drive him to show up in shape then?

40 is overrated imo

cone drill is much more impoertnat for almost any positions

for WR it will show his change od direction getting out of his breaks
40 is overrated imo

cone drill is much more impoertnat for almost any positions

for WR it will show his change od direction getting out of his breaks

Well yeah, but it's a measuring tool that you take into account along with everything else. A good 40 time doesn't mean you'll be a good receiver anymore than a bad 40 time means you'll be a bad receiver but when combined with all the past performances and other athletic measurements, it does provide some clue as to the guy's athletic abilities.

Personally I'd much rather see them get lined up in full pads and cleats and sprint 20, 40 and then 60 yards on grass. I think that'd be a lot more helpful than running 40 yards on a clay track while wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
Good for Jeffery...hope he shuts a lot of these detractors up!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Alshon Jeffery - WR - Player
"According to Sporting News draft analyst Russ Lande, "many teams" rate South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery as a late first- to second-round pick.

Per Lande, Jeffery "lacks explosiveness and top-end speed," and did not show improvement in either area as a junior before declaring for the draft. One rumor surfaced Monday that Jeffery has run in the high-4.8s at a bloated 249 pounds during pre-draft workouts. Jeffery's forty time at the Combine will have a huge impact on his draft stock, but it's clear that he's no longer regarded as a candidate to be selected in the top ten."

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football
Which is the typical b******t you hear. Don't you know, every guy is putting in 15 hours a day training at this time of year.

One of my best friends from high-school works as a trainer at Athletes Performance in Phoenix and has basically said that there's all kinds of myths and legends that are put out there. Guys who train 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours a day are reported as training 5-6....etc. The claims that people make are about as legit as the media screaming that a guy has 1 percent bodyfat when A. that low level of bodyfat is impossible and B they are more like 7 to 8 percent in reality.

Nobody's working out for 9 hours a day, the nervous system couldn't handle it, on top of that, what do you expect the trainer to say when he's getting paid by the guy? Mike Williams and David Terrell had big-time trainers as well, we'll see what happens at the combine but as stated before, the guy hasn't proven he can get separation consistently and he's been run down from behind a few times too many for my liking.

"As far as his exact weight- ahh- it doesn't even really matter. If there are issues about that, I will tell you- he is at his playing weight. He's ready to show people that he will be really good in this league. I really mean that" "

Translation-"He's slightly chubby, but we're working on get rid of his pudge belly before the combines start, we got this under control."

I worked on a service rig servicing oil wells and that was probably a 9 hour a day workout. We had a few 20 minute breaks but we were working out our muscles, moving fast, and lifting heavy objects all day. Sometimes a 12 hour day, we worked until the work was done. In 30 degree celcius heat. I started a 210 lbs marshmellow and am currently decently cut at 169 lbs. I'm 5 foot 10 and had no business being 210 lbs lol. My arms were both numb at home as I went to sleep.
[ Edited by BillWalsh on Feb 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM ]
NFL Draft wizards everywhere who still wear a T-shirt in the swimming pool started talking about how he has trouble containing his weight. They questioned his motivation and began moving him down draft boards labeling him the next Dwayne Jarrett or Big Mike Williams. A big body with hands that cannot separate, cannot get into routes quick enough, and who will end up getting too fat.

His trainer sees things differently. Jeffery is now stationed at the Athlete's Compound in Tampa where many of super-agent Eugene Parker's clients go to prepare for NFL Draft season. His training is being overseen by their Director of Performance who has worked with athletes ranging from Ndamukong Suh to Derek Jeter who he personally trains in the MLB off season. Jeffrey is currently facing a regimen of 9-hour days that looks like this:

Day 1: Track Work Day 2: Position-Specific (Routes, 3-cones, speed cuts, etc) Day 3: Early Lift, Mild lactic acid breakdown, Rest/Regeneration Day 4: Track Work Day 5: Position Specific Day 6: Early Lift, Mild lactic acid breakdown, Rest/Regeneration Day 7: film / relax / extra massage, recovery, etc.

Jeffrey's most often criticized attributes of his game are as follows:

"He has weight issues"

"He's a diamond in the rough" Jeffery's trainer said. "He's taken to all of it so well. Our program is about learning how to be a pro, making that transition. Understanding the value of rest, regeneration and nutrition in the same way you value the actual 'working out'. The first thing we looked at with Alshon was making sure we didn't lose any bit of his muscle mass. Not that he was out of shape when he got here, but (with all these guys) our job is to make sure their bodies are in the best position to get the biggest return (on the various tests.) That means maximizing angle and force production as well as explosiveness while pounding fundamentals. (Alshon's) got a bright future ahead of him. As far as his exact weight- ahh- it doesn't even really matter. If there are issues about that, I will tell you- he is at his playing weight. He's ready to show people that he will be really good in this league. I really mean that"

"He is slow."

Jeffery has run the 40-yard dash in the mid 4.4's and is projected to run between a 4.45 and a 4.65 at the NFL scouting combine. When I asked his trainer where he was in testing for the .40, he just told me that if you look at those numbers, he will be in perfect position and form to be on "the better side of that."

"He doesn't come off the line of scrimmage fast enough and makes sloppy cuts."

"If I'm going to compare him to anyone, as far as that stuff- breaks, line explosion, change of direction- He's got it. Guys like Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant, James Hardy- obviously he's a bigger guy but he's fast and moves as well as any of those guys with that stuff."

damn 9 hour workouts a day

hes trying at least

yeah but you have to assume the 9 hours just means time spent there, not lifting and plyo for 9 hours straight. It could be get there, breakfast, morning warm up+lifting, protein shake, stretching and then plyo work, lunch time spent in a cold tub cooling down, then film, then dinner, then go home. But it's still a long day and it still shows a good work ethic.
He's going to scary good when he's a pro. He's going to interview real well and get some good point for character and his coaches. His overall production carries its own weight as well.

I honestly like our WR... I believe Josh Morgan to be a very good number 2... and i really think Crabs is a volcano just waiting to erupt. (Side note on crabs tho it would be nice if he would stay healthy through pre season.).. Now i think CB is still greater need, however if we go WR why get another possesion WR ?I think we go with Kendall Wright if he's there of course and that maybe a false hope. Back to the point tho Josh has good speed, and Grabs has great route running skills but he's not a blazer.. but Wright mixed in with Ginn would give us some serious strech and make VD life in the middle that much easier... #10 who shall remain namless is okay but not a Wright. not to mention we need a screen game someone who can take a little bubble, or quick screen 10-15 yrd regulary with a chance to bust it at all times. I would even go as far as moving in lower teens/ early 20's to get him... that is what I think to be the real key way to get this offence going a threat both down the feild and short quick passes to keep blitzing and guys stacking the line to stop Gore in check.
Originally posted by Niner_love52:
I honestly like our WR... I believe Josh Morgan to be a very good number 2... and i really think Crabs is a volcano just waiting to erupt. (Side note on crabs tho it would be nice if he would stay healthy through pre season.).. Now i think CB is still greater need, however if we go WR why get another possesion WR ?I think we go with Kendall Wright if he's there of course and that maybe a false hope. Back to the point tho Josh has good speed, and Grabs has great route running skills but he's not a blazer.. but Wright mixed in with Ginn would give us some serious strech and make VD life in the middle that much easier... #10 who shall remain namless is okay but not a Wright. not to mention we need a screen game someone who can take a little bubble, or quick screen 10-15 yrd regulary with a chance to bust it at all times. I would even go as far as moving in lower teens/ early 20's to get him... that is what I think to be the real key way to get this offence going a threat both down the feild and short quick passes to keep blitzing and guys stacking the line to stop Gore in check.
You do realize that "#10" ran a 4.34-4.40, right? Faster than Kendall Wright. I dont think we need to add another slot guy if he's cant return kicks or if we're gonna re-sign Ginn. I mean, if thts the case, Ginn should be the weak link. Josh Morgan and Ted Ginn had the same stats and JM was on IR after the 5th game. Draft somebody who's gonna play corner and return punts (a patrick peterson type) or a WR that can actually PLAY reciever and return kicks. plenty of those kinda guys in rounds 5-7. (Jordan White is one of them). JW is the biggest sleeper in the draft IMO. He makes Ginn expendable because this guy can catch the ball AND return kicks. We'll still lack tht RZ target tht everyone is talking about though by taking Wright.Also, John Adams can return kicks and KILL at reciever, since we're talking slot. I truly wouldnt wanna give up anything to move up
If he runs in the 4.5's, then want.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
If he runs in the 4.5's, then want.

Meh, he was getting run down by college linebackers and safeties.....good luck with that in the pro's....and people complain when Gore gets run down by the defense.
If Jeffery is 4.6 to 4.8 speed, then I guess that makes Dennard a 4.9-5+ speed.
Share 49ersWebzone