LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

The combined Sanu thread

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
speed and quickness matter in route running. What good are great hands when you can't get open?

Speed and quickness are not the same thing. Sanu doesn't have great straight line speed but he's plenty quick which is what helps guys get open. Why is Ted Ginn a bust as a receiver? He's fast as hell but he's a long strider who isn't that quick out of his breaks so unless he's running deep routes or returning kicks and punts where he gets a chance to build up speed he's not that good.

Guys like Sanu may not be blazers and burn you deep too often but where they excel are short/intermediate throws where they need just a little room to make the catch and then bust their way using their physical abilities.

I can take your comment and say what good is great speed if you can't catch the ball? or what good is great speed if you can't run more than one route?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
no

we have ginn for that

But Ginn is a FA with horrible hands. I think we take him back at a discount, but he's going where the money is I believe cause we won't tender him for top FA WR money. We will see.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Does Sanu return kicks or punts??

According to sfout, Sanu has experience returning some punts, I believe. I'm not too worried about that though. I like his versatility on offense. Playing receiver and even coming out the backfield.

Yes he does. however he called for a fair catch on more then half of the punts he returned at averaged a less then modest 5 yards per return.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:
Does Sanu return kicks or punts??

According to sfout, Sanu has experience returning some punts, I believe. I'm not too worried about that though. I like his versatility on offense. Playing receiver and even coming out the backfield.

Seriously when I read the stats I was absolutely shocked at how effective he was over 2 seasons at multiple positions. The fact that he had such an effective junior season stems from the fact that he simply played more snaps as traditional as WR as they subsequently all but eliminated his role as a gadget player.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM ]
Watched this kid's bowll game and was impressed. Much different than Crabtree. Don't care what Mike Leach says, Crabs is a prima donna. He'd get the ball if he was open and he'd be open if he ran better routes. Smith doesnt trust him and that is huge. Would help if he showed up for a camp or two. Anyway, Senu is more quick than fast, will contest a ball, get separation and plays physical. Good not great size. I'd say he has a fair chance to contribute right right away. I've been thinking him for our #1 pick for a about a month now.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
How's his route running?

Pretty good for a junior and should only get better with solid coaching. Kid has pretty quick burst out of his breaks despite lack of straight line speed and as already mentioned he's got excellent hands and fights for the ball. Guys like that fight to make the catch even when someone has tight coverage on them.

There are too many receivers who give up on plays if there's someone sticking to them. Sanu has the mentality of a running back but hands of a receiver.

Sounds just like Crabtree when he was coming out:
" Big frame with nice muscle definition ... Does not drop easy passes ... Circus catch ability ... Attacks the football ... Times jump balls well and catches ball at the highest point possible ... Great footwork on sideline, showing the ability to keep both feet in bounds ... Has instincts; a reliable target who comes back to his quarterback and presents a window ... Physical at the line of scrimmage to beat press man coverage and at the goal line ... Gives effort as a blocker ... Elusive in the open field ... Nice acceleration from zero to top speed ... Clutch. "
http://walterfootball.com/pro2009mcrabtree.php
Originally posted by Travisty13:
" Big frame with nice muscle definition ... Does not drop easy passes ... Circus catch ability ... Attacks the football ... Times jump balls well and catches ball at the highest point possible ... Great footwork on sideline, showing the ability to keep both feet in bounds ... Has instincts; a reliable target who comes back to his quarterback and presents a window ... Physical at the line of scrimmage to beat press man coverage and at the goal line ... Gives effort as a blocker ... Elusive in the open field ... Nice acceleration from zero to top speed ... Clutch. "

Player Comparison: Larry Fitzgerald. You would think Fitz and Crabtree would be brothers based on their similar frames. Both receivers have a knack for getting the football at its apex on jump balls and making the circus catch.

WTF happened?
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Is it just me or does this guy look a lot like Michael Crabtree?

Ahmm...they're both black is about the only similarity that I can tell.

Face is completely different and they play very different.
I meant to say he looks like crabtree on the field, my bad.

They both are about 6'1-6'2 longs arms, strongs hands, good quickess, lack of elite straightline speed, they both attack the ball well.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
How's his route running?

Pretty good for a junior and should only get better with solid coaching. Kid has pretty quick burst out of his breaks despite lack of straight line speed and as already mentioned he's got excellent hands and fights for the ball. Guys like that fight to make the catch even when someone has tight coverage on them.

There are too many receivers who give up on plays if there's someone sticking to them. Sanu has the mentality of a running back but hands of a receiver.

To be fair, they say almost the same type of things about other receivers. If you look at the scouting report for Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd, it's probably similar.

In watching the way he was used in Rutgers, he was a versatile weapon. Catching passes, rushing the ball, and even throwing. The kid has a lot of skill. When he has the ball in his hand, he's like a running back. He lowers his shoulder to get more yards.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I don't know how badly the Bucs need WRs but Rutgers Greg Schiano is the current leading candidate for the Bucs HC job. They could trade back and draft Sanu in the late teens/early 20s :/

Not saying that would happen but it sure would suck.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Player Comparison: Larry Fitzgerald. You would think Fitz and Crabtree would be brothers based on their similar frames. Both receivers have a knack for getting the football at its apex on jump balls and making the circus catch.

WTF happened?

isn't Fitz like 6'3"??
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

WTF happened?

Crabtree has Alex Smith throwing to him

meanwhile Fitz has John Skel ....

wait a second ...
Originally posted by vrabbit:

wait a second ...

i dont see how lary fitz comparision is valid at all fitz has 3-4 inches on him

was faster coming out of college

better hands and more production

fitz was one of the best prospects to come out in a while crabs was not

wait a second ...

Crabs was a two time Biletnikoff winner. I remember some scouts throwing out the fact that Crabs could potentially break Jerry Rice-type records in the NFL

wait a second ...

Crabs was a two time Biletnikoff winner. I remember some scouts throwing out the fact that Crabs could potentially break Jerry Rice-type records in the NFL

to be honest, and I ain't no Alex basher, Crabtree's numbers arguably would be much better if he was in a more high-scoring offense, regardless of the injuries and missed TC's IMO.

Still, he wouldn't be at Fitz's level even then, Fitz's work ethic is top-notch
Share 49ersWebzone