There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

DT Devon Still, Penn St.

WR take time to develope-example the GOAT-Rice, didn't flash right away and you need a QB that will make use of one. As always we could use improvement everywhere, but BPA.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WildBill:
WR take time to develope-example the GOAT-Rice, didn't flash right away and you need a QB that will make use of one. As always we could use improvement everywhere, but BPA.

Just about every position take time to develop, I don't really know of one position that could start right away and become an immediate impact.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Just about every position take time to develop, I don't really know of one position that could start right away and become an immediate impact.

Pass rusher! (Example: Aldon Smith)
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:45 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PTulini:

Pass rusher! (Example: Aldon Smith)

Um not-a-starter.

BTW How was Manny Lawson do for us, could've sworn we drafted him to be the same thing??

Aaron Maybin
Vernon Gholston
Jarvis Moss
Quentin Groves
Everrette Brown
Calvin Pace

I mean the list goes on.

I would say that is a case by case basis. Lott, Wright and Williamson, Patrick Willis, Haley, Aldon, Michael Carter, Bryant Young all impacted-not contributed but impacted right away. There are others also. Aldon may not be a starter, but he did impact. And this is just the niners. For every DL you name that didn't start or impact right away or even bust, there are others that have.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I would say that is a case by case basis. Lott, Wright and Williamson, Patrick Willis, Haley, Aldon, Michael Carter, Bryant Young all impacted-not contributed but impacted right away. There are others also. Aldon may not be a starter, but he did impact. And this is just the niners. For every DL you name that didn't start or impact right away or even bust, there are others that have.

So how could you say one side favors the other?? That's my main point. I'm not saying there hasn't been, but each position needs time to develop.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
If he is there, I hope we consider him! In the right system and with the right coaches, this guy can be a steal at 30.
Not really familiar with him but have been going to NFL Draft Countdown for 5+ years and seen this.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Devon-Still.php

Comparison is Kentwan Balmer...

Strengths: • Very good size and bulk with a large frame • Athletic and quick with impressive first step • Can penetrate and make plays in backfields • Flashes power / strength at point of attack • Knows how to use hands and arms to win • Offers positional and schematic versatility • Pro bloodlines and still has a lot of upside

Weaknesses: • Questionable instincts and overall awareness • A tendency to play tall and will lose leverage • Motor runs hot / cold and disappears at times • Struggles mightily when defenders can lock on • Usually responds poorly when double-teamed • Lacks great balance and on ground too much • Battled injuries and durability is a big concern

Injury History: • Tore the ACL in left knee and redshirted in 2008 • Broke left ankle and missed most of 2009 season • Missed the Senior Bowl due to sprained big toe

That's a lot of injuries and those weaknesses would worry me. Seen he is cousins with Levon Kirkland and Arthur Still
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 24, 2012 at 2:05 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I only watched 3 of his games early in the season - so from what I saw - that's not a very accurate scouting report. I did read that he didn't have such a great finish, which is why there is a chance he may be available at 30. Here's another scouting report - which to me - seems more accurate to me.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012dstill.php

Player Comparison: Geno Atkins. Still's game is comparable to that of Atkins. The Pro Bowler Atkins is a good pass rusher and a disruptive player at the line of scrimmage. Atkins (6-1, 290) was a fourth-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. Obviously, that was a mistake for him to fall that far, and Still will go much higher than Atkins. It wouldn't be surprising if Still's game is similar to how Atkins plays.

Summary:
Still had a superb senior season. He was a playmaker and the leader of the Penn State defense. Still has good size, surprising speed and real power. He played Alabama tough and gave their talented offensive line a lot of trouble to start the season. His last few games, especially against Ohio State and Wisconsin, were his worst showings of the year. Still did not perform well against Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler. Still finished with 55 tackles with 17 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, a pass batted away and a forced fumble in 2011.

Still was generally very disruptive at the point of attack. Even when he didn't get sacks, he regularly got pressure on the quarterback. His pass-rushing skills with power and speed are very advanced entering the NFL. He also holds his ground in run defense. Still would regularly blast into the backfield and tackle running backs for a loss. Teams sent a lot of extra blocking in Still's direction, but he continued to be disruptive.