There are 274 users in the forums

DT Devon Still, Penn St.

Two days, two first-team All-American honors for Penn State senior defensive tackle Devon Still.
Still, a 6-5, 300-pounder who totaled 17 tackles for loss this season, was named to the Walter Camp Football Foundation's All-American team as a first-team selection.

Still was named to CBSsports.com's first-team All-American team on Wednesdsay.

The list of Still honors continues to grow. He was also named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year.

http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2011/12/devon_still_named_first-team_a.html

What do you guys think? Could the 49ers get him?
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
What would we do with him?? J. Smith, Ray Mac, Sopoaga, RJF remember??
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Competiton... Depth...
Gotta rotate linemen to stay fresh. RayMac has bad knees. RJF doesn't pressure the QB well. Takes 2-3 years to develop linemen J Smith will be 35 by then.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PTulini:

Competiton... Depth...

Our D-line is playing the best we've seen in a long time, not really necessary adding a D-lineman for depth reasons with a first day pick. A much better use of our first day picks should be at CB and WR. With that said, I don't think he'd even be around where we would be picking.
Very few WR make an impact after they r drafted.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Gotta rotate linemen to stay fresh. RayMac has bad knees. RJF doesn't pressure the QB well. Takes 2-3 years to develop linemen J Smith will be 35 by then.

I see someone gets it.

Competiton... Depth...

Our D-line is playing the best we've seen in a long time, not really necessary adding a D-lineman for depth reasons with a first day pick. A much better use of our first day picks should be at CB and WR. With that said, I don't think he'd even be around where we would be picking.

Why not? The Niners have very few pressing needs and they will have the luxury of picking who they want. After Baalke's stellar draft and off season, would you really mind if they chose someone like Still?
  • cools
  • Veteran
Ive watched him play a couple times this year, He will be solid, seems perfect for a 3-4 DE or 4-3 inside guy

Depends what the Niner Brass think about the potential of Dobbs and Williams
The fact that they are taking a risk by only having 4 DL that play, and are using two roster spots to protect the rookie UDFA's
would seem to indicate they have high hopes for both
[ Edited by cools on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:46 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Very few WR make an impact after they r drafted.

Same could be said about D-lineman, especially 3-4 D-lineman.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I see someone gets it.

Wow PTulini, you act like I just started watching football yesterday??

Of course you need a rotation of D-lineman, but how many times has RJF subbed in for Ray Mac or Sopoaga. Don't know if you realized it, but we often switch to 2-3 or 4 down lineman fronts in games with Aldon as the extra down lineman, making it more able to keep lineman fresh. Ray Mac, RJF, Aubrayo Franklin are just more examples that you don't need a first day pick for a rotation, especially with the mishap with Kentwan Balmer.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Competiton... Depth...

Why not? The Niners have very few pressing needs and they will have the luxury of picking who they want. After Baalke's stellar draft and off season, would you really mind if they chose someone like Still?

Why not?? So our situation at CB and WR hasn't bugged you enough, of course you could go on and just disagree with me for the hell of it, but how can one sit here and actually think we should spend a first day pick on a D-lineman over a WR or a CB.

It just boggles me, what some of you are thinking:

Alfonzo Dennard/Chase Minnifield or Devon Still

Michael Floyd/Dwight Jones or Devon Still

A complement to either Crabtree or Carlos Rogers or depth and most likely not much of an impact in Devon Still and/or are you people happy with Tarrell Brown as you #2 CB??

Yah, at least somebody gets it right.
One thing to consider about wr this year is the long list of very good to great free agent WRs.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

These guys would be more likely to start than a rookie WR although Baalke has drafted extremely well.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
One thing to consider about wr this year is the long list of very good to great free agent WRs.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

These guys would be more likely to start than a rookie WR although Baalke has drafted extremely well.

True, free agency could and probably will dictate our draft. But if as it looks right now, WR position needs a lot more attention than the D-line. Edwards, Ginn and Morgan are all set to become free agents, leaving our group with only Kyle Williams, Michael Crabtree and Brett Swain who hasn't even caught a ball yet in a game.

And even if we do acquire a probable starter thru free agency, we still would be weak at CB with Rogers, Brock, Culliver and Brown. I won't even count Spencer since its most likely he won't be back. Our pass-defense is ranked #16 it would be better to add competition or depth at that position, rather than our run-defense that's been ranked #1 for a while now.
We r 16 because teams cannot run against our defense. Teams r forced to the air. There are not many corners with a first round grade. Better value on the D line. Better to draft talent than draft for need. IMO
Share 49ersWebzone