There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

Originally posted by Genius1310:
Played for Harbaugh, know each other well, great rapport
TE-friendly offense
Harbaugh loves his TEs
Harbaughs running the team for awhile
Instant improvement in passing and running game
Versatile, fast, BIG
Will be a target in the redzone EVERY TIME
Will be there when we pick

Thinking this guy is going to be at the top of my 49ers draft board. I like it.

When the idea of drafting Fleener was first proposed in the Zone, I had a similar reaction that a lot of you have had.....why draft a TE when it is already one of the strengths of the team and there are more pressing needs at other positions?

Well, when I actually started to think about it.....I asked myself this question... What player in the draft can provide the team with an instant threat on 3rd downs and in the red zone in the passing game that will likely be there at pick 30?

Well, if we are really honest with ourselves, there are no "sure thing" wideouts that will be available then. That means the Niners would have to pay through the nose in free agency to bring in a vet WR like Bowe or V Jackson....or...they can get trade up in the draft and take a guy like Floyd (still not a sure thing) or....they can go after Fleener in the first round and run an offense around the TEs like New England and New Orleans did this year...with great success.

The least risky move might just be to draft Fleener....given all of the points made by Genius...all of which I agree with...

Cheers!
We are going to draft a big receiver or TE. We are seriously lacking a tall receiver, we have for a while and Fleener knows Jim and the system. But if not him, we are going to get another player of his size 6 5 6 6, and we also need a speedy receiver, Jeffrey and Floyd look slow to me. I don't like either of those guys.

Plus, having another TE like Fleener, means you can put Vernon out wide which is what they were doing anyway. I hope Walker plays more H-back as well.

But we need at least two more receivers for next year.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
We are going to draft a big receiver or TE. We are seriously lacking a tall receiver, we have for a while and Fleener knows Jim and the system. But if not him, we are going to get another player of his size 6 5 6 6, and we also need a speedy receiver, Jeffrey and Floyd look slow to me. I don't like either of those guys.

Plus, having another TE like Fleener, means you can put Vernon out wide which is what they were doing anyway. I hope Walker plays more H-back as well.

But we need at least two more receivers for next year.

I'd prefer a much smaller receiver with great speed and an ability to separate vs just drafting someone simply because they are......BIG....that's how busts happen. Bottomline, I want to see playmakers, I don't care how big they are but as has been made obvious in this thread, I'd very much like to see Fleener in a 49ers uniform and another receiver with hopefully some #1 potential, a guy like Streeter or Hill, but I'd be happy with a smaller WR that can stretch the field and cause defense to have to really worry about the deep ball, sort of the same effect that Torrey Smith had with the Ravens.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'd prefer a much smaller receiver with great speed and an ability to separate vs just drafting someone simply because they are......BIG....that's how busts happen. Bottomline, I want to see playmakers, I don't care how big they are but as has been made obvious in this thread, I'd very much like to see Fleener in a 49ers uniform and another receiver with hopefully some #1 potential, a guy like Streeter or Hill, but I'd be happy with a smaller WR that can stretch the field and cause defense to have to really worry about the deep ball, sort of the same effect that Torrey Smith had with the Ravens.

this

we dont have a deep threat on the team so safties can play the middle of the field

we need a guy to strech the field to leave the middle of the field open for crabtree and vernon
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'd prefer a much smaller receiver with great speed and an ability to separate vs just drafting someone simply because they are......BIG....that's how busts happen. Bottomline, I want to see playmakers, I don't care how big they are but as has been made obvious in this thread, I'd very much like to see Fleener in a 49ers uniform and another receiver with hopefully some #1 potential, a guy like Streeter or Hill, but I'd be happy with a smaller WR that can stretch the field and cause defense to have to really worry about the deep ball, sort of the same effect that Torrey Smith had with the Ravens.

Would D Jackson (formerly of Cal) work for you?
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Would D Jackson (formerly of Cal) work for you?

No. He's going to be expensive, injury prone, somewhat of a headcase, forget about it. If there's a way they could swing Kendall Wright in this draft, I'd be absolutely psyched but that doesn't seem likely as he's most likely going to be picked in the first 20. If not him there are plenty of explosive, high-speed vertical threats that can be had in later rounds.
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'd prefer a much smaller receiver with great speed and an ability to separate vs just drafting someone simply because they are......BIG....that's how busts happen. Bottomline, I want to see playmakers, I don't care how big they are but as has been made obvious in this thread, I'd very much like to see Fleener in a 49ers uniform and another receiver with hopefully some #1 potential, a guy like Streeter or Hill, but I'd be happy with a smaller WR that can stretch the field and cause defense to have to really worry about the deep ball, sort of the same effect that Torrey Smith had with the Ravens.

Would D Jackson (formerly of Cal) work for you?

I was just about to say that too lol. Jackson gets probably the most hate on the Zone of the top FA options at receiver, but there's no doubting his skills and combining an FA aquisition like desean AND a huge playmaking TE like fleener would do amazing things for our passing game.

Harbaugh was fine taking on Edwards and I think he would love to have Desean as well.
Originally posted by mike:
I was just about to say that too lol. Jackson gets probably the most hate on the Zone of the top FA options at receiver, but there's no doubting his skills and combining an FA aquisition like desean AND a huge playmaking TE like fleener would do amazing things for our passing game.

Harbaugh was fine taking on Edwards and I think he would love to have Desean as well.

Difference is that Edwards was found in the bargain bin and Desean is going to want to get paid. Go ahead and pay to re-sign all the free agents the 49ers have and then tell me where they'll find an additional 6-8 million a year for him. Face it, its not happening, Baalke's going to continue shopping the discount aisle and bring some undervalued guys in just like he did last year, I really do think Meachem could be one of those guys, he's gotten lost in the shuffle in New Orleans with all their weapons but he's a pretty damn good WR in his own right.
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Would D Jackson (formerly of Cal) work for you?

No. He's going to be expensive, injury prone, somewhat of a headcase, forget about it. If there's a way they could swing Kendall Wright in this draft, I'd be absolutely psyched but that doesn't seem likely as he's most likely going to be picked in the first 20. If not him there are plenty of explosive, high-speed vertical threats that can be had in later rounds.
Missing 4 games in 4 years is injury prone?

Who's out there that can really be a sure deep threat?, for every victor cruz or torrey smith there's 10 ted ginns(or worse) lol.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM ]
Originally posted by mike:
Missing 4 games in 4 years is injury prone?

Who's out there that can really be a sure deep threat?, for every victor cruz or torrey smith there's 10 ted ginns(or worse) lol.

Meh, he's about a concussion or two away from winding up like Jahvid Best. f**king soft-ass Cal guys.


Not sure why he's even being discussed though, as I said, too expensive...............NEXT............................


The same people bringing him up were the same ones talking about Nmadi and all the other big-time free agents the 49ers were going to bring in, it didn't happen then, it won't happen now. If they sign a WR it's going to be a guy in the 2nd or 3rd tier. Don't think Bowe, Jackson or Colston, think Meachem, Pierre Garcon, Laurent Robinson....etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Difference is that Edwards was found in the bargain bin and Desean is going to want to get paid. Go ahead and pay to re-sign all the free agents the 49ers have and then tell me where they'll find an additional 6-8 million a year for him. Face it, its not happening, Baalke's going to continue shopping the discount aisle and bring some undervalued guys in just like he did last year, I really do think Meachem could be one of those guys, he's gotten lost in the shuffle in New Orleans with all their weapons but he's a pretty damn good WR in his own right.

I completely agree and feel that he would really add to the Niners WR corps....at the right price too. If the team could sign Meachem as a FA, get Fleener in the first, and a speed guy in the lower rounds, I think they would be set...and for awhile too. Think of how much better Crabs and Vernon would be with a supporting cast like that...
This is a very realistic scenario as well. Talent and depth....nice combination!

Cheers!
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I completely agree and feel that he would really add to the Niners WR corps....at the right price too. If the team could sign Meachem as a FA, get Fleener in the first, and a speed guy in the lower rounds, I think they would be set...and for awhile too. Think of how much better Crabs and Vernon would be with a supporting cast like that...
This is a very realistic scenario as well. Talent and depth....nice combination!

Cheers!

I also think Morgan coming back is something that a lot of people are overlooking. He was looking really good up until his injury, having him available would have made a big impact, especially in the playoffs. Add a free agent like Meachem, bring back Morgan, draft Fleener and another receiver for depth and this offense takes on completely new dimensions next season in terms of scoring ability.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Would D Jackson (formerly of Cal) work for you?

No. He's going to be expensive, injury prone, somewhat of a headcase, forget about it. If there's a way they could swing Kendall Wright in this draft, I'd be absolutely psyched but that doesn't seem likely as he's most likely going to be picked in the first 20. If not him there are plenty of explosive, high-speed vertical threats that can be had in later rounds.

Actually, he may not be as expensive as you think because he is such a head case...

I'm hoping Harbaugh can talk some sense into him and convince him to rebuild his image....in his old digs....at a nice price.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I also think Morgan coming back is something that a lot of people are overlooking. He was looking really good up until his injury, having him available would have made a big impact, especially in the playoffs. Add a free agent like Meachem, bring back Morgan, draft Fleener and another receiver for depth and this offense takes on completely new dimensions next season in terms of scoring ability.

You...are correct, sir. A healthy Morgan would have made a huge difference this year. He was Alex's go-to guy on third downs before his injury. Bad luck.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I completely agree and feel that he would really add to the Niners WR corps....at the right price too. If the team could sign Meachem as a FA, get Fleener in the first, and a speed guy in the lower rounds, I think they would be set...and for awhile too. Think of how much better Crabs and Vernon would be with a supporting cast like that...
This is a very realistic scenario as well. Talent and depth....nice combination!

Cheers!

I also think Morgan coming back is something that a lot of people are overlooking. He was looking really good up until his injury, having him available would have made a big impact, especially in the playoffs. Add a free agent like Meachem, bring back Morgan, draft Fleener and another receiver for depth and this offense takes on completely new dimensions next season in terms of scoring ability.

I would be really happy with Meachem in FA and Fleener in the draft. Then you could draft Hill or Streeter or another speed guy in the draft.