Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
we'll be drafting 32nd in 2012

maybe 33rd
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
we'll be drafting 32nd in 2012

maybe 33rd

Only if we trade back, lol.
The Eagles and Steelers have been writing this novel. Next.
I'm sorry, but there's no benefit to drafting later with the new CBA and rookie scale.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I'm sorry, but there's no benefit to drafting later with the new CBA and rookie scale.

run the numbers
Late first round is a great place to trade out of for multiple picks.
Good thread. Definitely looking forward to an era of strong drafting at the end of round 1 and later rounds. And trading for multiple picks!
Lets keep in mind that the new CBA has this years #7 making 14 million as you stated. Crabtree got 25 million 2 years ago at #10. No one will be spending much on rookies anymore. I'll take the #1 pick and gladly pay him the 22 million Cam Newton got vs. the 78 million he would have approached under old rookie wages.

Taking a positive out of drafting lower is great, but I'll take a top 10 pick over a bottom 10 pick anyday....And so will every GM in the NFL! But thanks for playing
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Lets keep in mind that the new CBA has this years #7 making 14 million as you stated. Crabtree got 25 million 2 years ago at #10. No one will be spending much on rookies anymore. I'll take the #1 pick and gladly pay him the 22 million Cam Newton got vs. the 78 million he would have approached under old rookie wages.

Taking a positive out of drafting lower is great, but I'll take a top 10 pick over a bottom 10 pick anyday....And so will every GM in the NFL! But thanks for playing

Do you understand the concept of cap hell?

I highly doubt every NFL GM wants a top 10 pick each yr. If we were to draft top 10 the next 7 yrs, then Baalke and Harbaugh are gone.
1. Please explain cap hell.... Educate me.
2. Top 10 picks are given for the 10 teams with worst records and no I dont want to be one of those teams. However, aquiring picks is always possible and smply said I would take drafting in the top 10 vs the bottom anytime. Not every year.

You can try and make a positive out of drafting lower in the 1st round, I get that. Saying you prefer to draft at the bottom of the first round now that the rookie wage scale has changed is ridiculous. In years past, drafting top 3 sucked. Having to pay all that money... 40, 50, 60 million.

My point is that money is no longer a factor, period.

Do you understand the magnitude of Sam Bradford making 78 million as the 1 in 2010 vs Cam Newton 22 million in 2011? You could pick #1 every year for a long time before "cap hell".....Oops please explain that concept for me!
Also the success of teams like the steelers, patriots, and packers has more to do with picking the right players regardless of what pick it is....They picked better players at the bottom half of many drafts then we did. I'm confident they would pick the right players in the top 10-15 too....
1. Please explain cap hell.... Educate me.
2. Top 10 picks are given for the 10 teams with worst records and no I dont want to be one of those teams. However, aquiring picks is always possible and smply said I would take drafting in the top 10 vs the bottom anytime. Not every year.

You can try and make a positive out of drafting lower in the 1st round, I get that. Saying you prefer to draft at the bottom of the first round now that the rookie wage scale has changed is ridiculous. In years past, drafting top 3 sucked. Having to pay all that money... 40, 50, 60 million.

My point is that money is no longer a factor, period.

Do you understand the magnitude of Sam Bradford making 78 million as the 1 in 2010 vs Cam Newton 22 million in 2011? You could pick #1 every year for a long time before "cap hell".....Oops please explain that concept for me!

5 picks in the top 5, $75 million
5 picks in the bottom 5, $30 million

Resigning key players is easier when you have more money to spend. Signing top FA's is easier when you have more money to spend.

Consistently drafting in the top off the draft puts a financial strain on the cap. I would rather spend $7 million on an unproven rookie and spend the other $7 million on impact starters. More money tied up in rookies is less money available towards vets. If the money is not there we get cap casualties.

Money is always a factor, to think otherwise is foolish.
Top 5
Cam Newton
Von Miller
Marcel Dareus
AJ Green
Patrick Peterson

Bottom 5
Mark Ingram
Gabe Carimi
Muhammad Wilkerson
Cam Heyward
Derek Sherrod

I would rather have any of those top 5 for 15 million then any of those bottom 5 for 6 million....Money matters, so does talent....
your point was valid prior to 2011, but now its ignorant