There are 216 users in the forums

The benefit of drafting late

AB and I have talked many times about contracts, money, and draft positions. One theory we have thrown around is the fact that teams that draft late save money over the long term, remain healthy cap wise, and field better teams. Look at where we were drafting last year the avg price per player was between $16-$12 million, Aldon falling at $14mill. Looking at the back end of the draft the avg price was around $7 mill for picks 24-32. So we can assume that if the boat doesn't sink any time soon we will be looking at paying half of what we have been accustomed to for a first rounder. Again this trend following in all subsequent rounds if we don't move around too much in trades. Come draft time we could be looking at spending less then half of what we spent last year on the entire draft class.

The reason I bring this up is because it elevates pressure in 3 key areas. First spending less on picks makes the hurt of a potential bust sting a little less. Second it lets us resign current players to bigger contracts because we have the money to spend. Lastly it lets us have money in reserve to go after major FA's if the situation calls for it.

Although Jim has changed the football culture of this franchise a side effect will be the financial impact of winning and having to spend less on unproven rookies. Knowing that we could be seriously looking at spending half of what we are use to, will have major implications in keeping players on the roster and not having any cap casualties in the near future.
Less b***hin in the webzone?
"The reason I bring this up is because it elevates pressure in 3 key areas. First spending less on picks makes the hurt of a potential bust sting a little less. Second it lets us resign current players to bigger contracts because we have the money to spend. Lastly it lets us have money in reserve to go after major FA's if the situation calls for it."

Agrees on all three points made. I'm okay with drafting late in the rounds also because it would mean we won our division and involved in the playoffs.

Also, every year, there seems there are some decent players who fall down the draft because some teams reached on certain players. We could be fortunate in those situations or if a team wants to take our spot, we can get multiple draft picks in exchange.
You are a better team....
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
"The reason I bring this up is because it elevates pressure in 3 key areas. First spending less on picks makes the hurt of a potential bust sting a little less. Second it lets us resign current players to bigger contracts because we have the money to spend. Lastly it lets us have money in reserve to go after major FA's if the situation calls for it."

Agrees on all three points made. I'm okay with drafting late in the rounds also because it would mean we won our division and involved in the playoffs.

Also, every year, there seems there are some decent players who fall down the draft because some teams reached on certain players. We could be fortunate in those situations or if a team wants to take our spot, we can get multiple draft picks in exchange.

Agree. Great posts. Hopefully we can continue this for awhile and reap the benefits.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Agree. Great posts. Hopefully we can continue this for awhile and reap the benefits.

The Patriots get 2 first round picks every year because of this.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You are a better team....

Great thing about late drafting is say we trade back into rd 1, say we have picks 26 and 30, thats about what a top 10 pick would make, maybe less depending on the new system. And imagine that top 10 pick busts out like 09's top 10 where most are busts. And then we hit on both the 26th and 30th picks, and 1 on them turns into a great player while the other is a solid starter. Makes that draft worth it.

Last time we drafted low was 08 but because our pick went to NE, and the 28th pick was from INDY.
Interesting post. Based on Baalke/JH drafts getting productive players in later rounds, I feel we'll get some real gems. In addition, as you mentioned more money for quality FA who will now WANT to come here and play. Patriots are the poster boy for that. Every year they get 2 first rounder and sometimes multiple picks in ronds 2-4.
Isn't it less of an issue with the new cap?

The real benefit of drafting late is you can great value on taking BPA

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

still paying almost 50% less for a first round pick alone in the long run...add that up over 3-4 drafts and you save a substantial amount of money
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

still paying almost 50% less for a first round pick alone in the long run...add that up over 3-4 drafts and you save a substantial amount of money

exactly. Its usually 50% less than a top 10 pick, then add in an extra 1st, then add another late 1st, you've got about a top 10 pick money wise.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Interesting post. Based on Baalke/JH drafts getting productive players in later rounds, I feel we'll get some real gems. In addition, as you mentioned more money for quality FA who will now WANT to come here and play. Patriots are the poster boy for that. Every year they get 2 first rounder and sometimes multiple picks in ronds 2-4.

yeah but then you run into the problem of a very young team, then also having to cut some of your early picks and not having room for new players. which is definatly a nice problem to have.

but i think they may go after luck this year. they have so many early picks it is ridiculous. though i might be wrong, i just don't see how they would have the room on their roster for so many.
Totally agree... one of the reasons the Pats stay good is they can sit back and grab good solid players at the end of round 1 while paying a lot less money. Especially before this rookie cap... It takes a lot of the gamble out (if you want) and you can sit back and let others reach and draft for potential while you let the good solid football players fall into your hands. Also, teams usually trade up into the late 1st to get some of the players who have fallen. Leaves you in a good spot for a trade and to be able to pick up an extra 2nd rounder (maybe even 1st) next year by falling from 25 or so to maybe 35-50ish.
we'll be drafting 32nd in 2012
Share 49ersWebzone