There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Robert Griffin III Baylor QB

Originally posted by valrod33:
college stats are joke

Having great physical ability doesn't mean jack if you don't produce. It's a big part of what separates 1st and 2nd rounders from 7th-UDFA players.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Having great physical ability doesn't mean jack if you don't produce. It's a big part of what separates 1st and 2nd rounders from 7th-UDFA players.

The how do you explain Blaine Gabbert being a first round pick? He was drafted on his measurable's not his production.
Originally posted by Jcool:

The how do you explain Blaine Gabbert being a first round pick? He was drafted on his measurable's not his production.

the lock out and the lack of FA bumped a lot of QB up boards
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
22-29 312 yards 75% 10.8 y/a 3 tds 1 int 193.5 rating 9 rushes for 129 yards and td in 31-30 victory.
22-29 312 yards 75% 10.8 y/a 3 tds 1 int 193.5 rating 9 rushes for 129 yards and td in 31-30 come-from-behind victory.

fixed
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
22-29 312 yards 75% 10.8 y/a 3 tds 1 int 193.5 rating 9 rushes for 129 yards and td in 31-30 come-from-behind victory.

fixed

Originally posted by jreff22:

the lock out and the lack of FA bumped a lot of QB up boards

And notice I said it's "a big part" instead of saying "it's the ONLY part" that separates high round players from later round guys. There are several other factors that went into Gabbert's selection -- the slim-pickings being a huge one.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
And notice I said it's "a big part" instead of saying "it's the ONLY part" that separates high round players from later round guys. There are several other factors that went into Gabbert's selection -- the slim-pickings being a huge one.

Christian Ponder & Andy Dalton both were still on the board. Its not like Gabert was considered the last good QB in this draft.

I'd say that physical ability is more important than production. I mean if you don't have physical ability you're going to be a late round/UDFA. Otherwise Graham Harrell would've been picked in the early rounds. You need both (obviously)
Originally posted by vrabbit:

fixed

against Missouri

Christian Ponder & Andy Dalton both were still on the board. Its not like Gabert was considered the last good QB in this draft.

For a lot of scouts I think they had Cam, then Gabbert, then everybody else. The top talent at QB was supposed to be Cam and Gabbert, I was surprised Ponder went that early.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
against Missouri

Clearly you have NO idea what your talking about.... they played Kansas.....
against Missouri

Clearly you have NO idea what your talking about.... they played Kansas.....
even worse

Originally posted by jreff22:

For a lot of scouts I think they had Cam, then Gabbert, then everybody else. The top talent at QB was supposed to be Cam and Gabbert, I was surprised Ponder went that early.

JCool, we're talking about perceived quality here. Slim pickings means in this case that the crop, regardless of where they went, was not very good. Gabbert was a junior whose "NFL size" was something a lot of people got caught up with. His underclassman status led many to believe he had a higher ceiling, and with his size and other physical attributes being better than most of the other QB's, he was touted as having NFL physical ability. Players like this, especially if they're in a winning program, can ride the hype train into the high rounds.

This doesn't change the ultimate point that production is a large part -- although again, not the only part -- of what usually separates high round players from later round guys with the same physical attributes.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM ]