LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

2012 49ers Needs and Prospects That Could Fill Them

Sign Goldston, then sign Reggie. Pick up another FS in 7th if needed. idk. mite as well trade picks away. We cut ronald johnson soo clearly we dont need all those extra picks, especially with all the ppl in free agency
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Dwight Jones (WR) - He's 6'4 and 225 WR from UNC. Huge target at reciever would be a good addition to the team.(That way we can get Ginn to focus on being a returner)

Vinny Curry (DE/OLB) - 6'3 and 263 from MArshall. This guy is just dominant. He can play both OLB and DE behind Haralson and Brooks just for some depth. He gets to the QB, quick off the ball, great size. I think Vic Fangio would find a spot for him somewhere.

Dre Kirkpatrick (CB)- 6'3 and 192. His talent speaks for itself. ABove average size for a CB. He was on my list until I found out that we have the 29th pick =/. On the brightside, Culliver as well as the other corners are looking promising this year soo we can wait til next years draft for a CB.

Janoris Jenkins (CB)- 5'10 and 182. You know his story. He's great.

Trumaine Johnson (CB)- 6'3 and 204 from Montana. Great size. Good eyes for the ball. He's tall and has good speed. Would be a good pick up in the 4th round or later. especially now tht his stock might have dropped.

Jeff Fuller (WR)- 6'4 and 220. Big target that SF needs in their Recieving Corps.We need a Center. Idk that many and I expect them to be there soo yea.

Jonathan Martin (OT)- 6'6 and 305. He's a stanford guy, meaning he;ll pick up this offense quick. He'll be good for depth if we could get him. He's a junior though and most likely will stay.. oops, my bad. Next Year.

Levy Adcock (OT/OG)- 6'5 and 322. Big versatile guy that can play both LT and RT as well as OG.

Kelcie McCray (SS/FS) - 6'2 and 195. Projected to be a 6-7th rd guy. He seems to fit our defensive scheme. Tryna get some taller DBs because taller DBs= Less mismatches..at least height wise. i'd take a chance in the 6 or 7th round if weve already got what we needed in the first 4 rounds.

Brian Quick (WR)- 6'4 and 216. He's projected to be a 4-5th rd guy but that doesnt reflect his talent. I watched some vids on the guy and realized that he's a good reciever but his QB is just bad.

I dont see M. Williams or M.Norris coming back next season. Tramaine Brock will end up on PS if he gets outplayed by any rookie we draft next year in the offseason. Brett Swain is only here until we get Morgan back. I think that all I got. Comments on this please. ONce again, I didnt throw a whole bunch of the obvious names on here so dont knock me for it. Check out some film and sports analyis feedback on these guys.

Nice list, Marty. I would add Chase Thomas from Stanford to the list, too.
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'll refrain from setting grades on these players, but will just list these players out so you can get an idea of at least who I think we could be targeting in the draft this year. The top positions of course are: CB, FS, OLB, OG/C, and WR. I'm not listing QB because there's already a thread on that, and who knows if we'll take anyone at this point because we haven't seen what Smith will do this season, and/or if they're passing on QB no matter what, to stick with Colin.

So anyways, here are 2-3 prospects for each position of need, that I'd like to key in on:

Cornerback:
Donnie Fletcher, Boston College -- Tough son of a gun, and a very productive corner for BC.
Chase Minnifield, Virginia -- Currently predicted to go in the late 1st or 2nd round by many.

Free Safety:
Markelle Martin, Oklahoma St. -- Seen by many as the best senior FS in this class.
Jerrell Young, USF -- Currently a later round guy, but has had a knack for making plays.

Guard/Centers:
Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin -- We all know how well-coached Wisconsin OL are.
Philip Blake, Baylor -- Instrumental to the success of Robert Griffin. Middle round guy currently. Could be considered for some awards/all-star invites after the season.

OLB Pass-Rushers:
Brandon Lindsey, Pitt -- Has improved every year, and stepped up big in the place of Romeus last year. Already has 3 sacks this season.
Vinny Curry, Marshall -- Had 12 sacks and 18 TFL last year. Big man (6-3 263 4.74). If he times well, 3-4 teams will be all over this guy.

Wide Receivers:
Dwight Jones, North Carolina -- Big receiver, having a great year.
Nick Toon, Wisconsin -- Big receiver, having a great year.
Michael Floyd, Notre Dame -- Character concerns, but again.. Big receiver, having a great year. (See a trend?)

We need a big receiver who creates a mismatch easily on smaller corners.

So there's my list. Watch these players.

Is nick toon related to al toon ? Ther is a lot of familiar names coming out.
Originally posted by jdean:
I'll refrain from setting grades on these players, but will just list these players out so you can get an idea of at least who I think we could be targeting in the draft this year. The top positions of course are: CB, FS, OLB, OG/C, and WR. I'm not listing QB because there's already a thread on that, and who knows if we'll take anyone at this point because we haven't seen what Smith will do this season, and/or if they're passing on QB no matter what, to stick with Colin.

So anyways, here are 2-3 prospects for each position of need, that I'd like to key in on:

Cornerback:
Donnie Fletcher, Boston College -- Tough son of a gun, and a very productive corner for BC.
Chase Minnifield, Virginia -- Currently predicted to go in the late 1st or 2nd round by many.

Free Safety:
Markelle Martin, Oklahoma St. -- Seen by many as the best senior FS in this class.
Jerrell Young, USF -- Currently a later round guy, but has had a knack for making plays.

Guard/Centers:
Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin -- We all know how well-coached Wisconsin OL are.
Philip Blake, Baylor -- Instrumental to the success of Robert Griffin. Middle round guy currently. Could be considered for some awards/all-star invites after the season.

OLB Pass-Rushers:
Brandon Lindsey, Pitt -- Has improved every year, and stepped up big in the place of Romeus last year. Already has 3 sacks this season.
Vinny Curry, Marshall -- Had 12 sacks and 18 TFL last year. Big man (6-3 263 4.74). If he times well, 3-4 teams will be all over this guy.

Wide Receivers:
Dwight Jones, North Carolina -- Big receiver, having a great year.
Nick Toon, Wisconsin -- Big receiver, having a great year.
Michael Floyd, Notre Dame -- Character concerns, but again.. Big receiver, having a great year. (See a trend?)

We need a big receiver who creates a mismatch easily on smaller corners.

So there's my list. Watch these players.

Is nick toon related to al toon ? Ther is a lot of familiar names coming out.

Nick is Al's son. Both went to Wisconsin
If the draft were today -- something like this would be terrific:

1. CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia -- 6-0 185 4.49
2. WR Kendall Wright, Baylor -- 5-10 190 4.42
3. DE Kendall Reyes, UConn -- 6-3 296 4.99
4. OG Ryan Miller, Colorado -- 6-7 298 5.32
5. DE/OLB Shea McClellin, Boise St. -- 6-3 255 4.74
6. FS Jerrell Young, South Florida -- 6-1 209 4.57
7. NT Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, Baylor -- 6-2 335 5.06
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 8, 2011 at 8:41 PM ]

A 5-10 reciever? I actually perfer a big reciever in the WCO. I would really like Dwight Jones, Nick Toon, or Jeff Fuller in that spot. I reallly like your draft otherwise though.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Nov 9, 2011 at 5:06 AM ]

I just want a Jean-Baptiste and Jean Francois D-line...that alone makes you correct. Need another Jean something for the other D-end though.

I like your list, but Why another 5'10 reciever though? too many guys in the draft tht are 6'4 and like 225.. We have Kyle Williams. We drafted Ronald Johnson and he was useless. We need big targets, yeah i kno he's good, but let him walk. I just dont see us drafting two DE's. Not tht we wouldnt need it, just sayin tht I dont see it. Check out my list and tell me what you think of those guys. Most of them are reachable.
Originally posted by martysofresh:

5. OLB Shea McClellin, Boise St. -- 6-3 255 4.74

I like your list, but Why another 5'10 reciever though? too many guys in the draft tht are 6'4 and like 225.. We have Kyle Williams. We drafted Ronald Johnson and he was useless. We need big targets, yeah i kno he's good, but let him walk. I just dont see us drafting two DE's. Not tht we wouldnt need it, just sayin tht I dont see it. Check out my list and tell me what you think of those guys. Most of them are reachable.

It's not all about size. People get WAY too caught up with the size, speed, etc. -- let me ask you this: What has Kyle Williams done for this team so far? He has what, one catch? Maybe a few? We need PLAYMAKERS. Whether they're 5-9 and 6-5, we need playmaking talent. Guys that make things happen. If you've seen Kendall Wright play, he is that kind of player. He is a Steve Smith type of explosive talent that is dangerous with the ball in his hands. Unlike Ginn, he has the hands to go with his speed.

You say we have Kyle Williams, who sees almost no playing time, and vouch for big receivers (Dwight Jones comes to mind), when we already have Edwards, Morgan, and Crabtree -- all big, strong, receivers. We know at least one of the two between Braylon and Morgan will be back.

We have no other speed receiver on this team who gets much playing time. Ginn is it, and he's in his contract year. Now, overall I wouldn't complain if we drafted a bigger receiver, but this team needs the ability to stretch the field. We cannot live off short routes forever. We need someone dynamic who can flat out burn NFL corners and make them miss in the open field.

Also, you said I have two DE's in the list. It's actually OLB. Shea McClellin is a hybrid player who led BSU in sacks last year and is a very good mid-round OLB prospect. He has spent time playing both DE and OLB for Boise State. Reyes on the other hand would be a 3-4 DE, and is a very similar player to Ray McDonald.

I would absolutely LOVE the first 2 picks. Minnifield and Wright are two of my favorite prospects this year. Minnifield has great size and an NFL pedigree. I think he will turn out to be a solid player at the next level, but he does need some work.

As for Wright, that guy is TOUGH. He does it all. He gets compared to Steve Smith(CAR) a lot, and I see some similarities.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

This looks like a Baalke draft, lots of solid players that aren't high on a lot of peoples radars.
I agree with alot of folks on here but I think that RB is a bigger need than most realize. Gore is 28 and has been dinged up alot this year which honestly is nothing new. Not a knock but he has been ran to death over his career. I really dont see him holding up through next season. Its pretty clear they arent to high on dixon and they actually brought in some free agent RBs for tryouts.

I do say this with the asumption that they re-sign Goldson Brooks and Rogers.

CB is always a possibility but when you have a 8 year vet with 72 starts as a healthy scratch that shows that they are comfortable.

Wr sounds good but I think thats only if Braylon doesnt return and they feel like they need a starter. This offense just doesnt value WR enough to use a high round pick because they use so many 2 and 3 TE sets
[ Edited by sean610 on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:54 AM ]
Yo OTC you think we dump Dixon and go after another RB?
Originally posted by jreff22:

No. He's good as a 3rd RB, and his ST's ability increase his value even further. He's not going anywhere, in my opinion. Those who argue that we need a RB because of Gore being 28 -- I just don't know what the deal is with this idea... McGahee is what, 31? And he's tearing it up in Denver.

Gore will be fine. When he is no longer able to play, Kendall Hunter WILL be able to take over as the starter. The team has repeatedly stated he is NOT a change-of-pace back. The league sees him as that, just because Gore gets all the carries right now, but our coaches and GM view Hunter as an every-down back. And so do I. He was a monster in college and does everything right that you can ask for in a RB - Blitz pickup, pass catching, outside running, great vision, inside running, ALWAYS keeps his feet moving. He is the complete package and I will not stop vouching for him as the starter of the future.
Originally posted by jreff22:

No. He's good as a 3rd RB, and his ST's ability increase his value even further. He's not going anywhere, in my opinion. Those who argue that we need a RB because of Gore being 28 -- I just don't know what the deal is with this idea... McGahee is what, 31? And he's tearing it up in Denver.

Gore will be fine. When he is no longer able to play, Kendall Hunter WILL be able to take over as the starter. The team has repeatedly stated he is NOT a change-of-pace back. The league sees him as that, just because Gore gets all the carries right now, but our coaches and GM view Hunter as an every-down back. And so do I. He was a monster in college and does everything right that you can ask for in a RB - Blitz pickup, pass catching, outside running, great vision, inside running, ALWAYS keeps his feet moving. He is the complete package and I will not stop vouching for him as the starter of the future.

I like Dixon but don't trust him in a majority carry role.....what are your thoughts on Chris Polk? If we went after another RB I would like to target this kid!!
Share 49ersWebzone