LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

2012 49ers Needs and Prospects That Could Fill Them

Originally posted by jreff22:
I think Braylon will want to stay. He wont get big money because he wont have the time to put up big numbers...better for us. I could see a 3-4 year deal for good but not great money.

The Michigan roots with Harbaugh, Edwards and Edward's dad might help too. I think he is real comfortable with the 9ers staff.
i can see our draft being very heavy on the defensive side, we need depth on the dline and secondary help. unless braylon doesnt come back then i see taking a wr either in the 1st or second, i would like to find another TE who can be productive in the passing game then harbaugh can really do some fun things offensively with 3 pass catching TE's.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i can see our draft being very heavy on the defensive side, we need depth on the dline and secondary help. unless braylon doesnt come back then i see taking a wr either in the 1st or second, i would like to find another TE who can be productive in the passing game then harbaugh can really do some fun things offensively with 3 pass catching TE's.

If we can get Coby Fleener in the 4th round, that would be HUGE!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yo OTC any chances on a better FS falling to us then a CB in the first? I know its early but how will the drop in talent be from the 1st to the 2nd at DB?

Way too early to tell. No idea who is actually going to be available come draft day. Right now it seems that there should be some very good DBs available from rounds 1-3. However, based on our history, many of the CBs will not fit our system this year. Many of them are just too small. We just don't draft corners that are smaller than 5-11 for whatever reason. With receivers like Mike Williams, Sidney Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. in the division though, it makes sense.

Players that meet the 49ers size expectations this year are as follows:

Chase Minnifield, Virginia -- 6-0 185 4.49
Coryell Judie, Texas A&M -- 5-11 190 4.48
Donnie Fletcher, Boston College -- 6-1 195 4.53
Trumaine Johnson, Montana -- 6-2 204 4.52
Robert Blanton, Notre Dame -- 6-0 200 4.53
Casey Heyward, Vanderbilt -- 5-11 188 4.53
D'Anton Lynn, Penn St. -- 6-0 208 4.53 (injured)
Tashuan Gipson, Wyoming -- 6-0 203 4.57 (probably needs to be a safety)
Troy Woolfolk, Michigan -- 6-0 191 4.54 (injury prone, late rounder)

Unfortunately, right now only a few of these are seen as early picks.

Looks like Johnson's stocked might of dropped. Dude is a baller though. Go Griz!
http://missoulian.com/news/local/griz-players-attorney-says-police-used-excessive-force-in-tasing/article_6c859954-0047-11e1-b6a2-001cc4c03286.html
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
I think Braylon will want to stay. He wont get big money because he wont have the time to put up big numbers...better for us. I could see a 3-4 year deal for good but not great money.

The Michigan roots with Harbaugh, Edwards and Edward's dad might help too. I think he is real comfortable with the 9ers staff.

agree on all points, if he signs for good numbers but gets incentives out the ass I could see him accepting that deal. He wont be able to hit 1000 yards or 8-10 TD's this year so he wont have much to gamble on.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Fleener will go a lot higher then the 4th unless he blows his workouts. He's pretty much Dallas Clark 2.0 with how athletic he is and how well he blocks for stanford's run game. He's the second highest rated TE on ESPN and there is no way it takes 4 rounds for 2 or 3 TEs to come off the board.
Originally posted by sfout:

Fleener will go a lot higher then the 4th unless he blows his workouts. He's pretty much Dallas Clark 2.0 with how athletic he is and how well he blocks for stanford's run game. He's the second highest rated TE on ESPN and there is no way it takes 4 rounds for 2 or 3 TEs to come off the board.

I just had high hopes

I see Orson Charles possibly getting a high push as well. He's made just like Vernon, just not as explosive.
Dwight Jones (WR) - He's 6'4 and 225 WR from UNC. Huge target at reciever would be a good addition to the team.(That way we can get Ginn to focus on being a returner)

Vinny Curry (DE/OLB) - 6'3 and 263 from MArshall. This guy is just dominant. He can play both OLB and DE behind Haralson and Brooks just for some depth. He gets to the QB, quick off the ball, great size. I think Vic Fangio would find a spot for him somewhere.

Dre Kirkpatrick (CB)- 6'3 and 192. His talent speaks for itself. ABove average size for a CB. He was on my list until I found out that we have the 29th pick =/. On the brightside, Culliver as well as the other corners are looking promising this year soo we can wait til next years draft for a CB.

Janoris Jenkins (CB)- 5'10 and 182. You know his story. He's great.

Trumaine Johnson (CB)- 6'3 and 204 from Montana. Great size. Good eyes for the ball. He's tall and has good speed. Would be a good pick up in the 4th round or later. especially now tht his stock might have dropped.

Jeff Fuller (WR)- 6'4 and 220. Big target that SF needs in their Recieving Corps.We need a Center. Idk that many and I expect them to be there soo yea.

Jonathan Martin (OT)- 6'6 and 305. He's a stanford guy, meaning he;ll pick up this offense quick. He'll be good for depth if we could get him. He's a junior though and most likely will stay.. oops, my bad. Next Year.

Levy Adcock (OT/OG)- 6'5 and 322. Big versatile guy that can play both LT and RT as well as OG.

Kelcie McCray (SS/FS) - 6'2 and 195. Projected to be a 6-7th rd guy. He seems to fit our defensive scheme. Tryna get some taller DBs because taller DBs= Less mismatches..at least height wise. i'd take a chance in the 6 or 7th round if weve already got what we needed in the first 4 rounds.

Brian Quick (WR)- 6'4 and 216. He's projected to be a 4-5th rd guy but that doesnt reflect his talent. I watched some vids on the guy and realized that he's a good reciever but his QB is just bad.

I dont see M. Williams or M.Norris coming back next season. Tramaine Brock will end up on PS if he gets outplayed by any rookie we draft next year in the offseason. Brett Swain is only here until we get Morgan back. I think that all I got. Comments on this please. ONce again, I didnt throw a whole bunch of the obvious names on here so dont knock me for it. Check out some film and sports analyis feedback on these guys.
Originally posted by sfout:

I just had high hopes

I see Orson Charles possibly getting a high push as well. He's made just like Vernon, just not as explosive.

dont forget about nate bynam... he showed some real promise. its a shame he got injured, but a good thing it was so early so he has enough time to heal up, unlike what happened to phillip adams. i hope that kid gets another shot somewhere.
OTC

how about an updated list

FS is not a need on this team, Goldson and Reggie Smith will be fine for many years to come
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
FS is not a need on this team, Goldson and Reggie Smith will be fine for many years to come

Goldson will be a FA next year and may want a big contract. He's definitely played well so far this season to warrant a pay raise.

Reggie Smith is decent, but we can use an upgrade over him. He's already been burnt a few times (see the Cowboys game).

Goldson will be a FA next year and may want a big contract. He's definitely played well so far this season to warrant a pay raise.

Reggie Smith is decent, but we can use an upgrade over him. He's already been burnt a few times (see the Cowboys game).
im not that confident with goldson still and it showed sunday when brown was expecting goldon over the top and he was nowhere to be found, and smith constantly takes horrible angles. the hits are nice but still i dont think you break the bank for goldson

Reggie hasnt been 100% healthy for a whole season, he can go.

Goldson will want big money, if too high he can walk as well.

They are both free agents after this season
Share 49ersWebzone