There are 168 users in the forums

2012 49ers Needs and Prospects That Could Fill Them

I'll refrain from setting grades on these players, but will just list these players out so you can get an idea of at least who I think we could be targeting in the draft this year. The top positions of course are: CB, FS, OLB, OG/C, and WR. I'm not listing QB because there's already a thread on that, and who knows if we'll take anyone at this point because we haven't seen what Smith will do this season, and/or if they're passing on QB no matter what, to stick with Colin.

So anyways, here are 2-3 prospects for each position of need, that I'd like to key in on:

Cornerback:
Donnie Fletcher, Boston College -- Tough son of a gun, and a very productive corner for BC.
Chase Minnifield, Virginia -- Currently predicted to go in the late 1st or 2nd round by many.

Free Safety:
Markelle Martin, Oklahoma St. -- Seen by many as the best senior FS in this class.
Jerrell Young, USF -- Currently a later round guy, but has had a knack for making plays.

Guard/Centers:
Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin -- We all know how well-coached Wisconsin OL are.
Philip Blake, Baylor -- Instrumental to the success of Robert Griffin. Middle round guy currently. Could be considered for some awards/all-star invites after the season.

OLB Pass-Rushers:
Brandon Lindsey, Pitt -- Has improved every year, and stepped up big in the place of Romeus last year. Already has 3 sacks this season.
Vinny Curry, Marshall -- Had 12 sacks and 18 TFL last year. Big man (6-3 263 4.74). If he times well, 3-4 teams will be all over this guy.

Wide Receivers:
Dwight Jones, North Carolina -- Big receiver, having a great year.
Nick Toon, Wisconsin -- Big receiver, having a great year.
Michael Floyd, Notre Dame -- Character concerns, but again.. Big receiver, having a great year. (See a trend?)

We need a big receiver who creates a mismatch easily on smaller corners.

So there's my list. Watch these players.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/157607-early-season-favorites-top-qbs-eligible-2012-draft/ - QB Analysis / List.
Good list, OTC. Here's who I'm liking at those positions of need:

CB: Alfonzo Dennard - Nebraska (very physical corner with great tackling technique. IMO, best tackler at the position in this draft)
Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina (also very physical with size and speed)
S: Delano Howell - Stanford (Harbaugh is familiar with this kid and the fact that he's an absolute ballhawk)
Markelle Martin - Ok. State (Also a big fan of this guy. Has a nose for the football for sure)
G: David DeCastro - Stanford (another player that Harbs has coached. The kid is huge and can finally help open holes on the right side)
Barrett Jones - Alabama (watching Alabama run over their opponents is always fun. This guy is a huge reason why.)
C: Scott Wedige - N. Illinois (we don't get to watch their games too often, but they showed a replay this weekend and the guy was so physical in the trenches)
OLB: Vinny Curry - Marshall (haven't watched much of his game but the guy is an absolute highlight reel. He's a monster pass rusher)
Jonathan Massaquoi - Troy (13.5 sacks, 20.5 TFL, and a forced fumble. 'Nuff said)
Shayne Skov - Stanford (honorable mention. Due to injury, his stock is here nor there, but the guy is a beast and has a non stop motor)
WR: *besides the "usual suspects," Justin Blackmon and Alshon Jeffery*
Dwight Jones - North Carolina (I was a big fan of Greg Little last year and Jones is picking up the same steam. I love physical receivers that go up the middle)
Kendall Wright - Baylor (the guy is extremely versatile. He catches passes, he rushes, he even passes. His route running still needs work, but the potential is there)
[ Edited by SF69ers on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:20 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I like how our starters are shaping out so far at OLB/DE, so I wouldn't draft one on the first day. Like I said in another thread, we need to rebuild our secondary, FS IMO is still a major concern. Surprising no love from Lance Mitchell of Oregon St. around here, I'd have to say one of the most athletic FS in this draft and has excellent range. I admit, I really haven't been keeping an eye out for him too much this year cause they don't show too much OSU games out here in Hawaii. But if you guys get a chance keep an eye out for him, definitely much of an upgrade than what's on our roster right now at FS. Haven't really checked if this guy has any off the field issues yet, don't really see any notes of serious injuries, any OSU fans out there got more insight of him??

OTC add NT.

Josh Chapman and Alameda Ta'amu
OTC what do you think about Ashlon Jeffery?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I like how our starters are shaping out so far at OLB/DE, so I wouldn't draft one on the first day. Like I said in another thread, we need to rebuild our secondary, FS IMO is still a major concern. Surprising no love from Lance Mitchell of Oregon St. around here, I'd have to say one of the most athletic FS in this draft and has excellent range. I admit, I really haven't been keeping an eye out for him too much this year cause they don't show too much OSU games out here in Hawaii. But if you guys get a chance keep an eye out for him, definitely much of an upgrade than what's on our roster right now at FS. Haven't really checked if this guy has any off the field issues yet, don't really see any notes of serious injuries, any OSU fans out there got more insight of him??

I agree, DB is a huge need. Im fine with Whinter at SS, I like what I see from Rogers so far. If NT is sorted out with Sopoaga, then use 2 picks in the 1st 3 rounds on CB and FS each.

I also love OK States Markelle Martin like OTC does.

Robert Lester is good. The Miami(Fla.) kid Vaugn Telemenaque is a guy to watch for.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I agree, DB is a huge need. Im fine with Whinter at SS, I like what I see from Rogers so far. If NT is sorted out with Sopoaga, then use 2 picks in the 1st 3 rounds on CB and FS each.

Robert Lester is good. The Miami(Fla.) kid Vaugn Telemenaque is a guy to watch for.

Rogers and Whitner seem to holding up pretty good in the secondary, hopefull Whitner stays healthy though. But FS has always been a huge concern IMO, we need a playmaker there, and I'd like to see Culliver get more of a shot at NCB, don't really got that much faith in Brown or Brock. But I also like Donnie Fletcher outta BC, hes got good size and fluidity, but speed seems average, didn't play well vs. Nevada though, plays better man, bump-n-run than zone. What do you think AB a 3rd or 4th round pick perhaps.

Mark Barron is my pick in Bama's secondary, he seems to have much better range than Lester. I also think Barron could play both FS and SS at the next level, reminds me of Adrian Wilson but much more of a hawk.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Rogers and Whitner seem to holding up pretty good in the secondary, hopefull Whitner stays healthy though. But FS has always been a huge concern IMO, we need a playmaker there, and I'd like to see Culliver get more of a shot at NCB, don't really got that much faith in Brown or Brock. But I also like Donnie Fletcher outta BC, hes got good size and fluidity, but speed seems average, didn't play well vs. Nevada though, plays better man, bump-n-run than zone. What do you think AB a 3rd or 4th round pick perhaps.

Mark Barron is my pick in Bama's secondary, he seems to have much better range than Lester. I also think Barron could play both FS and SS at the next level, reminds me of Adrian Wilson but much more of a hawk.

I still don't understand why we don't elect to try Culliver at Free Safety. I know he has the ability to DEVELOP into a solid corner possibly, but at safety the transition would be much quicker I believe for him. He has great closing speed. He may not be the hitter that Goldson is, but he can cover.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I still don't understand why we don't elect to try Culliver at Free Safety. I know he has the ability to DEVELOP into a solid corner possibly, but at safety the transition would be much quicker I believe for him. He has great closing speed. He may not be the hitter that Goldson is, but he can cover.

Maybe because of health issues to Spencer, and Culliver has shown big upside on the outside

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
OTC what do you think about Ashlon Jeffery?

Obviously he's very talented. He's like a bigger version of Sidney Rice to me. I think he has great hands but I have some worries about him. He doesn't seem to protect the ball very well when he runs and he's more of a long strider. Slow into his cuts for his route which could be exposed in the NFL. I rarely see him breaking away from defenders. He just doesn't have speed to respect. He's a big-bodied receiver with great hands but I dunno.. he just does not strike me as a guy who will be as electric as some of the other top-rate receivers coming out.

I believe will make a great possession receiver who can break tackles and get RAC and be a strong blocker and great jump-ball guy. However, I do not think he is a very polished route-runner just yet, and he may be a receiver who needs to be placed in a certain system to succeed.

There are a few receivers that I really like in this class, but of the big, red-zone threat kind of guys, my favorites currently are:

1) Michael Floyd, Notre Dame - Character issues are a concern, but he dominates on the football field.
2) Nick Toon, Wisconsin - This kid is really opening some eyes. People may make fun because his name is the abbreviation for Nickelodeon cartoons for kids in the morning (Remember NickToons?), but he can play. Wisconsin is not a pass-heavy system, and Toon has 353 yards and 5 TDs in four games.
3) Dwight Jones, UNC - Could he be the next Hakeem Nicks? It looks like it. Does well shielding the defender from the ball. 6-4 225 pounds and can run pretty well.
4) Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St. - For obvious reasons.
5) Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M - Is a good player, but has shown some lapses in concentration.
I do like Jeffery a lot, but I do have the same concerns that OTC has. Although, if he stays focus and really works his ass off in getting better in his route running, best case scenario is that he becomes a Plaxico Burriss type of player. Very similar skillsets.
Yo OTC any chances on a better FS falling to us then a CB in the first? I know its early but how will the drop in talent be from the 1st to the 2nd at DB?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Yo OTC any chances on a better FS falling to us then a CB in the first? I know its early but how will the drop in talent be from the 1st to the 2nd at DB?

there are so many CBs this draft its ridiclous

there is no1 on par with peterson of course but i can think theyre about 5-7 CB with first round grades (based on alent ) this coming draft
Originally posted by jreff22:

Way too early to tell. No idea who is actually going to be available come draft day. Right now it seems that there should be some very good DBs available from rounds 1-3. However, based on our history, many of the CBs will not fit our system this year. Many of them are just too small. We just don't draft corners that are smaller than 5-11 for whatever reason. With receivers like Mike Williams, Sidney Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. in the division though, it makes sense.

Players that meet the 49ers size expectations this year are as follows:

Chase Minnifield, Virginia -- 6-0 185 4.49
Coryell Judie, Texas A&M -- 5-11 190 4.48
Donnie Fletcher, Boston College -- 6-1 195 4.53
Trumaine Johnson, Montana -- 6-2 204 4.52
Robert Blanton, Notre Dame -- 6-0 200 4.53
Casey Heyward, Vanderbilt -- 5-11 188 4.53
D'Anton Lynn, Penn St. -- 6-0 208 4.53 (injured)
Tashuan Gipson, Wyoming -- 6-0 203 4.57 (probably needs to be a safety)
Troy Woolfolk, Michigan -- 6-0 191 4.54 (injury prone, late rounder)

Unfortunately, right now only a few of these are seen as early picks.
Share 49ersWebzone