LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 359 users in the forums

2012 49ers Needs and Prospects That Could Fill Them

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm beginning to key on Dwight Jones as who I want as a 9er next year. I think hes a very similar receiver to Greg Little and would love to see that lined up next to Braylon next year if re-signed. Sorry people just not a fan of Crabtree right now, if I had it my way, I'd move on from him next year. But yah, rebuild the secondary or add to Whitner, Rogers and Spencer and draft Dwight Jones, the end.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Maybe because of health issues to Spencer, and Culliver has shown big upside on the outside

The front office did the same thing with Reggie Smith before transitioning him to safety.

I agree though, Culliver should be seeing time at FS. Maybe if we draft a corner early and resign Rogers, we will move him to FS.

CB: Spencer/Rookie/Brown
CB: Rogers/Brock
FS: Culliver/FA
SS: Whitner/Smith

Good speed and experience in that secondary.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Maybe because of health issues to Spencer, and Culliver has shown big upside on the outside

The front office did the same thing with Reggie Smith before transitioning him to safety.

I agree though, Culliver should be seeing time at FS. Maybe if we draft a corner early and resign Rogers, we will move him to FS.

I like him better at CB, I dont really care if he can play right away at FS because I think he can play long term at CB. He has good hips, athleticism, and IMO will be a good cover guy. Out of my FS I rather have a ball hawk play makinf type of player.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm beginning to key on Dwight Jones as who I want as a 9er next year. I think hes a very similar receiver to Greg Little and would love to see that lined up next to Braylon next year if re-signed. Sorry people just not a fan of Crabtree right now, if I had it my way, I'd move on from him next year. But yah, rebuild the secondary or add to Whitner, Rogers and Spencer and draft Dwight Jones, the end.

Don't agree on your opinion on Crabtree, but I am on the same boat with you on Dwight Jones. I was a HUGE fan of Greg Little, and having his old teammate would be fine with me. He doesn't break tackles as well as Little, but the guy is definitely a better route runner at this point.

Crabtree has so much talent, but he's been half assing most of his career, and I think a big reason for that is the HC. Harbaugh is the type of coach that players love the play for. Singletary was the type of coach that wanted his players to make plays or else.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Way too early to tell. No idea who is actually going to be available come draft day. Right now it seems that there should be some very good DBs available from rounds 1-3. However, based on our history, many of the CBs will not fit our system this year. Many of them are just too small. We just don't draft corners that are smaller than 5-11 for whatever reason. With receivers like Mike Williams, Sidney Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. in the division though, it makes sense.

Players that meet the 49ers size expectations this year are as follows:

Chase Minnifield, Virginia -- 6-0 185 4.49
Coryell Judie, Texas A&M -- 5-11 190 4.48
Donnie Fletcher, Boston College -- 6-1 195 4.53
Trumaine Johnson, Montana -- 6-2 204 4.52
Robert Blanton, Notre Dame -- 6-0 200 4.53
Casey Heyward, Vanderbilt -- 5-11 188 4.53
D'Anton Lynn, Penn St. -- 6-0 208 4.53 (injured)
Tashuan Gipson, Wyoming -- 6-0 203 4.57 (probably needs to be a safety)
Troy Woolfolk, Michigan -- 6-0 191 4.54 (injury prone, late rounder)

Unfortunately, right now only a few of these are seen as early picks.

Keep an eye on Heyward. The guy's got major talent.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Obviously he's very talented. He's like a bigger version of Sidney Rice to me. I think he has great hands but I have some worries about him. He doesn't seem to protect the ball very well when he runs and he's more of a long strider. Slow into his cuts for his route which could be exposed in the NFL. I rarely see him breaking away from defenders. He just doesn't have speed to respect. He's a big-bodied receiver with great hands but I dunno.. he just does not strike me as a guy who will be as electric as some of the other top-rate receivers coming out.

I believe will make a great possession receiver who can break tackles and get RAC and be a strong blocker and great jump-ball guy. However, I do not think he is a very polished route-runner just yet, and he may be a receiver who needs to be placed in a certain system to succeed.

I agree that he's super talented but i have the same concerns. He reminds me of Mike Williams coming out of USC. Is big bodied matchup nightmare but doesnt get any separation. Don't see him as a Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, or even Plaxico Burress type of player due to his lack of speed. In my opinion, the thing that really scares my the most is his body style. He doesn't have that trim, defined body type which when combined with the fact the his rep is that he is a hard worker scares me alot. Its kind of a crabtree body type but crabs is smaller and quicker. The more I think about jeffrey it wouldn't suprise me if he is asked to put on more weight and make a position change to tight end.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Don't agree on your opinion on Crabtree, but I am on the same boat with you on Dwight Jones. I was a HUGE fan of Greg Little, and having his old teammate would be fine with me. He doesn't break tackles as well as Little, but the guy is definitely a better route runner at this point.

Crabtree has so much talent, but he's been half assing most of his career, and I think a big reason for that is the HC. Harbaugh is the type of coach that players love the play for. Singletary was the type of coach that wanted his players to make plays or else.

Most wouldn't agree with me I expect that, but Crabtree's body language just shows me he is half assing it and just doesn't want to be here. Sure it all could be a coincidence with him about his injuries, arguments with VD, his contract and so. But since I don't know him personally, I can only go by with what I see. I also don't see him re-signing with us when he does become a UFA. Sure the same can be said about Dwight Jones, since I don't know anything bout him off the field, but I don't see us giving up a top 10 pick for him either.
The player that I have been coming around on is Janoris Jenkins. The more I think about it the more I think he is the best CB in the draft. I do think that we will end up in the playoffs so we will have a later 1st round pick than usual and due to character concerns I think he will still be around. His change of direction, ball skills, ability to play on and off coverage, and experience against big receivers (jeffrey, julio jones, and aj green) will be a perfect match for Fangio's D. We gotta take a risk on character at some point and the value could not be better. Shoot, maybe take a flyer on cliff harris in the 2nd (due to size/character concerns) for the slot then the secondary is set for years to come!
Originally posted by smacII:
The player that I have been coming around on is Janoris Jenkins. The more I think about it the more I think he is the best CB in the draft. I do think that we will end up in the playoffs so we will have a later 1st round pick than usual and due to character concerns I think he will still be around. His change of direction, ball skills, ability to play on and off coverage, and experience against big receivers (jeffrey, julio jones, and aj green) will be a perfect match for Fangio's D. We gotta take a risk on character at some point and the value could not be better. Shoot, maybe take a flyer on cliff harris in the 2nd (due to size/character concerns) for the slot then the secondary is set for years to come!

i really like jenkins easily the best cover corner in the draft (character concers aside i want to draft him)

i dont wont cliff harris at all though in addition to character concers he just wont be effective in the nfl level i see him getting some INT but he doesnt have the ability to guard the big bodied WR the only WR he can be effective against is desean jackson jermey maclin DHB WRs frankly they arnt to many of those in the nfl
I was set on drafting a db with pick one but now I'm thinking if we resign Rogers and sign Brent grimes along with resigning Spencer and Brock we would be pretty solid. Sure we don't have a s**t down corner but that's a solid db group. Then try and draft Justin Blackmon. Do what it takes baby get it done.

we are one good safety and corner away from being a great defense...that has to be priority no. 1 heading into draft.
Originally posted by GEEK:

cut Brock and Brown, both suck. Spencer should not start, he needs to be 3rd or 4th CB.

Ive said it, of the 8 playing on D Whitner and Rogers are the best, then Reggie Smith.

Goldson, Williams, Brown, Brock can all go. Spencer as 3rd or 4th CB.

Culliver stays, he doesnt even play D much, I wanna see him at FS a bit. Spillman stays as a ST player.

Basically, of the 10 now, we keep Whitner, Rogers, Smith, Culliver, Spillman and Spencer competes.

Draft a CB, FS, sign a CB and then we'll see.
Who are the top safety's coming out this year? And where are they rank as of rigt now? If we can sign a big db (like we couldn't lastfree agency) then we could get the safety in the draft we need. I still think Reggie smith could break out this year at safety but I don't see it happening with his lack of playing time.
I like Cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama - 6'3 and 192. Think a big corner would be nice
WR Jeff Fuller 6'4 and 220. I forgot his school
WR Greg Childs 6'3 and 217
Originally posted by martysofresh:
I like Cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama - 6'3 and 192. Think a big corner would be nice
WR Jeff Fuller 6'4 and 220. I forgot his school
WR Greg Childs 6'3 and 217

fuller goes to texas A&M
Share 49ersWebzone