LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 137 users in the forums

Vontaze Burfict - Arizona State University

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Michael (Portsmouth VA)Do you see Burfiut slipping into the 2nd round

Mel Kiper (1:12 PM)
No. I think he's a first. The NFL M.O. now, the aggressive players like Burfict, who get penalties for personal fouls, how many are you going to get in the NFL? You can get away with a lot more in college. I don't know how the 1985 Bears would survive in this NFL. Or the Steel Curtain. The Purple People Eaters. Those guys would get fined and suspended all of the time. Burfict is going to have to learn how to tackle and finish plays and not go over the top with his aggressiveness. He has to learn to play a smarter game.

He's a mid to last first rounder.

Could be BPA when we pick. would not mind

and exactly WHY would we pick an ILB?

for depth at LB. Could possibly try him at OLB.

again, I'm saying BPA. Not looking at need

Wasted pick if we do select him. Sure, he's got talent, but with Bowman, Willis, Grant, Aldon, Brooks, and Parys, I think we're in damn good shape at LB.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

No. I think he's a first. The NFL M.O. now, the aggressive players like Burfict, who get penalties for personal fouls, how many are you going to get in the NFL? You can get away with a lot more in college. I don't know how the 1985 Bears would survive in this NFL. Or the Steel Curtain. The Purple People Eaters. Those guys would get fined and suspended all of the time. Burfict is going to have to learn how to tackle and finish plays and not go over the top with his aggressiveness. He has to learn to play a smarter game.

Wasted pick if we do select him. Sure, he's got talent, but with Bowman, Willis, Grant, Aldon, Brooks, and Parys, I think we're in damn good shape at LB.

some of those guys are FA

I see what you're going for, I just can't see this team drafting for depth even if it's BPA

BPA at position of need, that's what I'd be going with
I hope we don't draft him, he has major character issues. His work ethic has been in question his entire time at ASU. He is a super gifted player who tries to get by just on his talents without putting in the work.

The guy was taken out of a game for getting too many PF, then when told to go back in, he refused and sat on the bench. You really want a guy who doesn't listen to his coaches and refuses to play because of his temper?

As I said from Day 1, super talented player with outstanding natural instincts. But almost no work ethic and a bad attitude. But no one ever wants to listen to me

Another problem with Burfict is he is one-dimensional, purely a run-stopper. He doesn't do the film study and doesn't play in position, there were times where other players literally had to push him into the spot he was suppose to be (and the comical thing was he would then make a great play after being placed in position).

A team will take a chance on him, no doubt. He just has too much natural talent and upside. But I think he slipped into the 2nd round because there are several other ILBs that will go before him.

His workout will be pretty critical, not just his 40 speed but how he interviews and his weight, he looks overweight and pudgy and not like a Patrick Willis.
i hate his attitude and hes not OLB material...not a Jim HArbaugh/Trent Baalke kind of player! sure he is amazingly athletic but he is as dumb as a stone and will cause alot of PFs. NO THANK YOU!!!
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I hope we don't draft him, he has major character issues. His work ethic has been in question his entire time at ASU. He is a super gifted player who tries to get by just on his talents without putting in the work.

The guy was taken out of a game for getting too many PF, then when told to go back in, he refused and sat on the bench. You really want a guy who doesn't listen to his coaches and refuses to play because of his temper?

As I said from Day 1, super talented player with outstanding natural instincts. But almost no work ethic and a bad attitude. But no one ever wants to listen to me

Another problem with Burfict is he is one-dimensional, purely a run-stopper. He doesn't do the film study and doesn't play in position, there were times where other players literally had to push him into the spot he was suppose to be (and the comical thing was he would then make a great play after being placed in position).

A team will take a chance on him, no doubt. He just has too much natural talent and upside. But I think he slipped into the 2nd round because there are several other ILBs that will go before him.

His workout will be pretty critical, not just his 40 speed but how he interviews and his weight, he looks overweight and pudgy and not like a Patrick Willis.

i wouldnt listen to Erickson either and when he starts getting fined $$$$ for all those penalties, im sure he will stop.

All im saying is if he is BPA, we should consider taking him.

We drafted a S in the 2nd round of the 2010 because he was a need, i am not sure if he was BPA. We all know what happened with the great Taylor Mays
Man. I remember watching this kid in High School when he played vs De La Salle in the State Championship.
Always knew he would be in the NFL one day..
Kid is a f**king MONSTER.

Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:
Man. I remember watching this kid in High School when he played vs De La Salle in the State Championship.
Always knew he would be in the NFL one day..
Kid is a f**king MONSTER.

yea i remembered watching him when he tried to take out barkley's knee in HS when MB was at Mater Dei.
I love ASU live right down the street from it. Mr perfect had a shot at the begining of this year to go top 10, after personally watching his lazy bust of a season i will fully volenteer to eat crow for days if he goes anywhere near 15. Vontez isnt hitting the market until mid to late 20s, 2nd round if the team is smart. For those with a short memmory, taylor mayz. Amazing hard hitting moe foe projected in the first. Didnt go and turnes out a 2nd was too much too. Vontez will be a bust if he goes higher then the first round. Too many expectations. I hope im wrong cuz i love the guy just dont see it. Btw bad cell phone spelling. Forgive me
[ Edited by KSchuerman on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:53 AM ]

Great post, Sun. I completely agree with you.

From what I've read about this guy today it's probably safe to assume that he's not even on our draft board.
that BPA went out the window :(

Mychal Kendricks BPA Bandwagon now
Wow, anyone follow what this guy did at the combine? Truly impressive. Takes skill to waste so much natural talent.

Vontaze Burfict checked in at 6'1 and 248 lbs.

Vontaze Burfict ran a 5.09 40 (worst among all LBs).

Had the 2nd worst Vertical Jump among LBs.

Had the worst Broad Jump among LBs.

Other interesting tidbits:
-The good news is he was able to lose TWELVE pounds from what he played at last year. Yep, he played MLB in college at 260lbs. I told you guys, his conditioning and work ethic is terrible.
-Burfict also confirmed rumors he punched WR Ozier (at the time a walk-on) because Ozier hit him in a 7-on-7 drill and then "rough housed" him in the locker room, so Burfict's addmitted first reaction was to swing a punch.
-Ted Miller said in his one interview, Burfict called an opposing QB (Barkley) a name he couldn't print, to which fellow LB Magee (who IMO is a much better player, but was hurt last year), tried to save Burfict. At the time, Ted Miller did not disclose that Burfict ever said that
-Burfict blames his problems on others such as the officials, coaches ect.
-Burfict said his bad junior season was becuase of the coaches, becuase he didn't know "if he was going to start or not"

It really is a shame. I want my ASU players to represent us well, but he may be the biggest dissapointment I can remember in the last decade of ASU football. WR Gerrell Robinson in many ways is the complete opposite, also a top HS recruit but a guy who started with a big ego, sucked when he got here, he then turned it around and he put in the work and became a great WR his senior year with a great mentality.

Edit:

By the way, those guys who thought Burfict was a 1st rounder. EAT SOME CROW! right now he might go undrafted, I mean his terrible numbers and attitude are pretty shocking!
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Feb 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM ]
Man this guy looked horrible today.

Edit:

By the way, those guys who thought Burfict was a 1st rounder. EAT SOME CROW! right now he might go undrafted, I mean his terrible numbers and attitude are pretty shocking!

As long as you join me
Share 49ersWebzone