• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
no love for CK?

Meh.

Lol he sounds like you've actually seen him play? Or are you simply saying meh because he's not 1st round pick rated?

I think colin will surprise us when we see him for the first time in preseason games, he should get a following quickly much like nate davis did(of course that means very little till real games start like we saw with nate), both definitely have a stronger arm than smith... and lets face it we're tired of a qb who both isn't very accurate in short throws AND can't throw a long ball with any kind of explosiveness...

Just from what I've been reading, it sounds like colin's been accurate with an explosive arm. I think we wouldn't have drafted him if we thought we were going to draft another qb next year. Harbaugh has his man to develop, trust that he can do it.

My opinion and argument of Kaepernick starts here: Link

His passing yards and accuracy stats are padded. He threw a lot of screens and did a lot of dinking and dunking in college.

In short, I think he will struggle to make the transition to a NFL starting QB.

Lol this part made me laugh, when you said "Now why is Nate Davis more of a project than Kaepernick?? Why, because of draft status, seems to be the only reason."

Or because nate davis has the IQ of a 5 year old, no hope to ever learn a playbook even one as simple as Singletary's "hand it to frank gore up the middle" playbook.

A lot of players are from gimmicky offenses, Sam bradford was and he stepped right in and played. Or you can get an alex smith, you never know simply by what kind of system they were from. Certainly he is not manning or bradford, but I think that he STILL may outplay smith and surprise a ton of us by the time preseason is over.

We only use a draft pick on a top qb next season if kaepernick for sure looks hopeless, because otherwise there are plenty of other issues to address and QB's simply TAKE TIME, so if you get the next hot QB prospect every year you'll never really have given any of them a real shot to learn the system, the panthers just knew matt moore wasn't going to ever be the face of the franchise so they went ahead and got a top one. And you only know whether he's a matt moore or a sam bradford by waiting and seeing him play, everything I've heard about him so far has been positive, about his accuracy and explosive arm.

[ Edited by mike on Aug 1, 2011 at 01:54:39 ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Mebs we should draft this guy

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
no love for CK?

Meh.

Lol he sounds like you've actually seen him play? Or are you simply saying meh because he's not 1st round pick rated?

I think colin will surprise us when we see him for the first time in preseason games, he should get a following quickly much like nate davis did(of course that means very little till real games start like we saw with nate), both definitely have a stronger arm then smith... and lets face it we're tired of a qb who both isn't very accurate in short throws AND can't throw a long ball with any kind of explosiveness...

Just from what I've been reading, it sounds like colin's been accurate with an explosive arm. I think we wouldn't have drafted him if we thought we were going to draft another qb next year. Harbaugh has his man to develop, trust that he can do it.

His passing yards and accuracy stats are padded. He threw a lot of screens and did a lot of dinking and dunking in college.

Lol this part made me laugh, when you said "Now why is Nate Davis more of a project than Kaepernick?? Why, because of draft status, seems to be the only reason."

Or because nate davis has the IQ of a 5 year old, no hope to ever learn a playbook even one as simple as Singletary's "hand it to frank gore up the middle" playbook.

A lot of players are from gimmicky offenses, Sam bradford was and he stepped right in and played. Or you can get an alex smith, you never know simply by what kind of system they were from. Certainly he is not manning or bradford, but I think that he STILL may outplay smith and surprise a ton of us by the time preseason is over.

We only use a draft pick on a top qb next season if kaepernick for sure looks hopeless, because otherwise there are plenty of other issues to address and QB's simply TAKE TIME, so if you get the next hot QB prospect every year you'll never really have given any of them a real shot to learn the system, the panthers just knew matt moore wasn't going to ever be the face of the franchise so they went ahead and got a top one. And you only know whether he's a matt moore or a sam bradford by waiting and seeing him play, everything I've heard about him so far has been positive, about his accuracy and explosive arm.

I said my argument started at that page, guess you didn't read the rest of it.

BTW in case you didn't know the Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen last year in the 2nd round. Who's much more NFL ready than Kaepernick than took a gimmicky offense QB this year, go figure.

Don't really wanna get into this argument again, so please read till the last page. I swear if Kaepernick was on another team he'd definitely be considered a project.

[ Edited by Kolohe on Aug 1, 2011 at 10:39:19 ]
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Luck. End discussion.
Originally posted by Amir:
Luck. End discussion.
  • mike
  • Veteran
no love for CK?

Meh.

I think colin will surprise us when we see him for the first time in preseason games, he should get a following quickly much like nate davis did(of course that means very little till real games start like we saw with nate), both definitely have a stronger arm then smith... and lets face it we're tired of a qb who both isn't very accurate in short throws AND can't throw a long ball with any kind of explosiveness...

I said my argument started at that page, guess you didn't read the rest of it.

BTW in case you didn't know the Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen last year in the 2nd round. Who's much more NFL ready than Kaepernick than took a gimmicky offense QB this year, go figure.

Don't really wanna get into this argument again, so please read till the last page. I swear if Kaepernick was on another team he'd definitely be considered a project.

Late night brainfart lol, I mean't clausen not moore. Newton still possesses a much higher ceiling than a guy like clausen, gimmick offense or not. Even in a less gimmicky offense you're going to have to learn a new offense when you get to the nfl.

I read all of it actually, and what I got out of it was that apparently it's a bad thing if kaep has to ride the pine for a year or so? Personally I have no problem letting him develop, like you said pretty much every college qb is going to be a project. Very few are nfl ready.

The problem with drafting another QB with a very high first pick, is we're pressured to start him. I'm absolutely fine with letting harbaugh spoon feed colin till he's ready.

Kaepernick with a year of development with harbaugh under his belt, could very well be the better 2012 starter than whoever we have in our sights in the next draft.(probably not andrew luck without a huge Jake Locker-like fall in his stock). Rushing them is a mistake we shouldn't make after seeing Alex Smith thrown to the wolves, even if sam bradford and some other qb's have been able to handle it.

[ Edited by mike on Aug 1, 2011 at 12:10:13 ]
In theory hopefulyl we don't draft a Qb till after the 3rd round.

I'd love it if we drafted
1st cB
2nd Cb or NT
3rd CB/RB/QB
If Luck is on the board he's a no brainer after that I would stick with Kaep and address another need.

I don't know too much about the other guys, it's just with Luck and Harbaugh's prior relationship and his talent it should be the easiest decision we've ever made regardless on how we feel about Kaep.
Kellen Moore
Won't need one, CK will be the guy, unless we tank the season and get Luck.

no love for CK?

Meh.

I think colin will surprise us when we see him for the first time in preseason games, he should get a following quickly much like nate davis did(of course that means very little till real games start like we saw with nate), both definitely have a stronger arm than smith... and lets face it we're tired of a qb who both isn't very accurate in short throws AND can't throw a long ball with any kind of explosiveness...

His passing yards and accuracy stats are padded. He threw a lot of screens and did a lot of dinkming and dunking in college.

And you thought kevin riley would go in the second!
honestly if we do have a bad season, and out of Andrew Luck range, which I think is 1st or 2nd pick.

If we go QB, which I hope not, Cause I love Kap, I would go Landry Jones. He impresses me more than Barkley.

But for me, I would go CB in rd 1. Kirkpatrick from Bama is one of my favs.

And then if available, I would go NT in rd 2, or if we draft high, trade back, get a CB in rd 1, NT in rd 2, and if we get an extra 2, Heck Id use it on Boise State's Kellen Moore if their.

I love that kid, he is a winner. And has tons of talent.
were are not going to get any of those qb. niners will do good this year. they will win 10 or more games......
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by toeknee:
no love for CK?

Meh.

His passing yards and accuracy stats are padded. He threw a lot of screens and did a lot of dinkming and dunking in college.

And you thought kevin riley would go in the second!

Wow that was a poor attempt of taking a shot at me.

My feelings are hurt.

But seriously, it really means nothing. Its not like I drafted Gio Carmazzi and Tim Rattay over Tom Brady, Drafted Alex Smith instead of Aaron Rodgers. Or had DaQuan Bowers getting drafted #1 overall, what about drafting Jim Druckenmiller instead of Jake Plummer. What about the drafting Kentwan Balmer over DeSean Jackson, Rashaun Woods instead of Wilfork, Mike Rumph over Lito Sheppard.

........and the funny part about it is, those people that made those remarkable decisions got/get paid for it.

And as for Kevin Riley, so just because he wasn't drafted, does that mean he won't succeed in the NFL???
LUCK!!
Share 49ersWebzone