LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

which qb would you draft nxt year

Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Which ever top QB that falls to us Luck, Barkley or Landry Jones.

I just took a glimpse at our schedule...boy are we in for rude awakening. I swear the only teams we can beat are the Bengals, Browns and Redskins. so i guess we might LUCK out between the top tier qb's

I wouldn't count on us beating any of those teams. Do I have faith yes, OK, I think we put it to the Redskins, but the Bengals and Browns I wouldn't be so sure of that.

The only team I think we can beat of those 3 might be the Bengals but otherwise I agree we could end up with Luck

Really guys?

We are in a division with Seattle, Arizona, and the St. Louise. Any given year we can tack up 6 wins in our division alone. I am not saying we will, just that every division game we play is winnable.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Which ever top QB that falls to us Luck, Barkley or Landry Jones.

I just took a glimpse at our schedule...boy are we in for rude awakening. I swear the only teams we can beat are the Bengals, Browns and Redskins. so i guess we might LUCK out between the top tier qb's

I wouldn't count on us beating any of those teams. Do I have faith yes, OK, I think we put it to the Redskins, but the Bengals and Browns I wouldn't be so sure of that.

The only team I think we can beat of those 3 might be the Bengals but otherwise I agree we could end up with Luck

Really guys?

We are in a division with Seattle, Arizona, and the St. Louise. Any given year we can tack up 6 wins in our division alone. I am not saying we will, just that every division game we play is winnable.

This was all before we started signing all these free agents, while thinking about all the players we've loss.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Digger:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There should be some quality QBs in the draft.

First Round
Andrew Luck, Stanford
Landy Jones, Oklahoma
Matt Barkley, USC

2nd-4th Round
Nick Foles, Arizona
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
Kellen Moore, Boise State
Ryan Lindley, San Diego State
Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M

Foles is as good as any of those guys. His arm is real big. With another year of development he may find himself in the 1st round.

I agree with you about Foles; big arm, not fast but mobile enough to avoid pressure in the pocket, has that "it" factor that shows up in big games when it matters most. He probably makes at least 1 bone-headed throw a game, but that is something a coach like Harbaugh can coach out of him.

Having said that I think we only take a QB if we end up in the top 10 and have a shot at one of the big 3 names who would be clearly head and shoulders better than Kap (or if he dramatically flames out and is clearly not the answer).

I totally disagree on Foles having a big arm. He has great size, but his arm strength IMO isn't as great as a lot of people make it out to be.

Foles best asset is his accuracy, he can put great touch on short routes, which is where the vast majority of his passes are. In fact, probably a knock on him is being Mr. Checkdown and not showing he can make NFL level mid range throws.

If you watch a lot of Foles you will see that when he makes his distance throws he puts way too much air under it to get the ball downfield. His best assets are great size, great accuracy, great vision, quick release. Arm strength IMO is one of the things lacking.

IMO Ryan Wheeden is my favorite candidate. I'd be fine with the first 3 candidate (hell if we got Luck I would s**t my pants). But I don't think we will have a top 10 pick, probably pick in the teens. And at that point I'd look for Wheeden, he can make the ball fly out of his hand with a quick release.

Edit: Lindley and Cousins seem to lack great arm strength on their release and IMO are the guys that are going to fall into the late rounds to UFA status.

Agreed on everything.

But isn't Wheeden kind of old (high 20's)?? Or this isn't the same QB for Oklahoma St.??

Oh s**t, you are correct. He is 28 , he was pro baseball player before. Forgot about that.

Another QB who technically is elgible that I have my eye on is Ryan Katz of Oregon State. That guy has a cannon for an arm, I'll be curious to see how he develops.

First Round
Andrew Luck, Stanford
Landy Jones, Oklahoma
Matt Barkley, USC

2nd-4th Round
Nick Foles, Arizona

Foles is as good as any of those guys. His arm is real big. With another year of development he may find himself in the 1st round.

I agree with you about Foles; big arm, not fast but mobile enough to avoid pressure in the pocket, has that "it" factor that shows up in big games when it matters most. He probably makes at least 1 bone-headed throw a game, but that is something a coach like Harbaugh can coach out of him.

Having said that I think we only take a QB if we end up in the top 10 and have a shot at one of the big 3 names who would be clearly head and shoulders better than Kap (or if he dramatically flames out and is clearly not the answer).

I totally disagree on Foles having a big arm. He has great size, but his arm strength IMO isn't as great as a lot of people make it out to be.

Foles best asset is his accuracy, he can put great touch on short routes, which is where the vast majority of his passes are. In fact, probably a knock on him is being Mr. Checkdown and not showing he can make NFL level mid range throws.

If you watch a lot of Foles you will see that when he makes his distance throws he puts way too much air under it to get the ball downfield. His best assets are great size, great accuracy, great vision, quick release. Arm strength IMO is one of the things lacking.

IMO Ryan Wheeden is my favorite candidate. I'd be fine with the first 3 candidate (hell if we got Luck I would s**t my pants). But I don't think we will have a top 10 pick, probably pick in the teens. And at that point I'd look for Wheeden, he can make the ball fly out of his hand with a quick release.

Edit: Lindley and Cousins seem to lack great arm strength on their release and IMO are the guys that are going to fall into the late rounds to UFA status.

Agreed on everything.

But isn't Wheeden kind of old (high 20's)?? Or this isn't the same QB for Oklahoma St.??

Oh s**t, you are correct. He is 28 , he was pro baseball player before. Forgot about that.

Another QB who technically is elgible that I have my eye on is Ryan Katz of Oregon State. That guy has a cannon for an arm, I'll be curious to see how he develops.
Suck for Luck!
  • sfout
  • Veteran

First Round
Andrew Luck, Stanford
Landy Jones, Oklahoma
Matt Barkley, USC

2nd-4th Round
Nick Foles, Arizona

Agreed on everything.

It's brandon weeden lol and Katz just got benched and has to win the job back lol. Look everyone saying we are drafting a high round QB next year us on drugs, the only way we draft a low round qb next year is if we somehow can get our hands on Luck. No matter how bad Alex does if we aren't picking #1-#5 and in a perfect scenario to move up for Luck, for better or worse we will stay invested in Kaepernick. It's almost a certainty that we sign Josh Johnson after the season ends, especially if Alex bombs it but even he doesn't in all likelihood next years depth chart going into camp will be Smith/Johnson/Tolzien/Kaepernick. Judging by the fact that Kaepernick seems to have a similar playing style to Johnson I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Darren Thomas or Robert Griffin should they declare. They have have similar builds to Kaepernick and JJ and make it very easy to tailor an offense around a particular style of QB play.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone