LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Trade our 2nd and 3rd picks

Originally posted by Aussie49er:
This should be the only option. With the lock out supposedly back on, why waste anymore picks drafting players in a weak draft? Sign Alex Smith or Troy Smith and let them sail these rough seas, don't make a rookie QB or FA QB come in with no experience of our receivers tendencies and think its an automatic upgrade.

I hate to break it to you draft junkies, this season is getting closer to being toast, why p*ss away picks on weak players in a draft that may have its rookies growth stunted because the season might not even kick off. Just think, if there is no season this year, next seasons rookies will be far more football ready than this years, isn't that a red flag??????

The only option I want to see our management do is trade trade trade. Trade back in the second and 3rd rounds to try and get more 2nd and 3rd round picks next year. I wanted them to do that with our 1st as well but they took a questionable pick there.

People always gloat on how NE are draft gurus, well why can't we take a page out of their book and start planing for 1 draft while also being in another??????

How do you next years draft is stronger. Last I heard this draft has good depth. Next year is next year and it is uncertain, like the USC QB, people hyping him with Luck, but he will suck.

No their growth is not stunted, why? Because they will have been in the system and be more familiar than the incoming people. If you are good, you are good. Look at what happened with Quinn. He didn't even practice, at least the players taken will have practiced with the team.

While they may not get the valued training camp reps, they will still get the valued coaching and famliarity with their teammates.
Originally posted by WildBill:
This should be the only option. With the lock out supposedly back on, why waste anymore picks drafting players in a weak draft? Sign Alex Smith or Troy Smith and let them sail these rough seas, don't make a rookie QB or FA QB come in with no experience of our receivers tendencies and think its an automatic upgrade.

I hate to break it to you draft junkies, this season is getting closer to being toast, why p*ss away picks on weak players in a draft that may have its rookies growth stunted because the season might not even kick off. Just think, if there is no season this year, next seasons rookies will be far more football ready than this years, isn't that a red flag??????

The only option I want to see our management do is trade trade trade. Trade back in the second and 3rd rounds to try and get more 2nd and 3rd round picks next year. I wanted them to do that with our 1st as well but they took a questionable pick there.

People always gloat on how NE are draft gurus, well why can't we take a page out of their book and start planing for 1 draft while also being in another??????

How do you next years draft is stronger. Last I heard this draft has good depth. Next year is next year and it is uncertain, like the USC QB, people hyping him with Luck, but he will suck.

No their growth is not stunted, why? Because they will have been in the system and be more familiar than the incoming people. If you are good, you are good. Look at what happened with Quinn. He didn't even practice, at least the players taken will have practiced with the team.

While they may not get the valued training camp reps, they will still get the valued coaching and famliarity with their teammates.

this draft has one of the best depth and talent in years in every position.....except qb and rb
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by dj43:
I'll say it again, GIVEN RECENT COURT DECISIONS, it has become highly likely a new CBA will be in place well before the start of the 2011 season.

The current political climate is VERY pro-union, hence it would be foolish for any team to set strategy on the POSSIBILITY that there will not be an agreement in place this season.

Pro union ... except in Wisconsin. The 8th Circuit is going to b***h slap the player's union.

What union? They decertified.

What system is that? There is a new coach that old players have to familiarise themselves with, there will be a delay in FA signings (if a season starts), those incoming FA will be under pressure to get 'caught up" and then you have the rookies who have to learn all those things and to adapt to the NFL. A big ask for a rookie coach. Usually its up to the coaches and vets to guide the rookies however if this season goes ahead it will be a rush job and I'd prefer to have more picks next year.

The person above said it himself. This is a poor QB and RB draft, well if Dixon doesn't pan out we might need both in 2012 since Gore won't be around much longer, at least as the Gore we know.

Having more picks in a draft gives better options, and I'm not talking about our 6 or so in rounds 6 or below this year.

[ Edited by Aussie49er on Apr 29, 2011 at 14:55:52 ]
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by dj43:
I'll say it again, GIVEN RECENT COURT DECISIONS, it has become highly likely a new CBA will be in place well before the start of the 2011 season.

The current political climate is VERY pro-union, hence it would be foolish for any team to set strategy on the POSSIBILITY that there will not be an agreement in place this season.

Pro union ... except in Wisconsin. The 8th Circuit is going to b***h slap the player's union.

The 8th circuit is in St Louis.
We have needs. Best way to fill them is today or tomorrow.
Originally posted by sdninerfan:

Needs that can't be filled through Free Agency?

successful teams build through the draft, not through free agency. most free agents are dinged or just past their prime. Asomagha or however you spell it is one of the few exceptions this year.

successful teams build through the draft, not through free agency. most free agents are dinged or just past their prime. Asomagha or however you spell it is one of the few exceptions this year.

So you get 14 picks in two years (just an example), it isn't that bad if you have 5 one year and 9 the next year. So trading a few picks this year for next years picks is still building through the draft.

What system is that? There is a new coach that old players have to familiarise themselves with, there will be a delay in FA signings (if a season starts), those incoming FA will be under pressure to get 'caught up" and then you have the rookies who have to learn all those things and to adapt to the NFL. A big ask for a rookie coach. Usually its up to the coaches and vets to guide the rookies however if this season goes ahead it will be a rush job and I'd prefer to have more picks next year.

The person above said it himself. This is a poor QB and RB draft, well if Dixon doesn't pan out we might need both in 2012 since Gore won't be around much longer, at least as the Gore we know.

Having more picks in a draft gives better options, and I'm not talking about our 6 or so in rounds 6 or below this year.

What system? Jim Harbaugh's system or Greg Roman's system. what I am saying they will still get coaching and familiarize themselves with it, the playbook and the verbiage, etc. They will be ahead of the next class even if the season is shortened w/o training camp. They will get assimilated with the way the coaches want it during the season. The next class will be blank.

Yes more picks is good, but you can't only looking ahead, it has been shown in any endevor those that deal only with the future never get anything accomplished. Plus contract wise and if everybody expires the same year...well you should know where I am going with this.

Well this thread is half over now anyway. Trading up? Really? For a QB?
Gee New England doing what I said we should do.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Gee New England doing what I said we should do.

New England doesn't have our holes. NE selected two people in the third round, they could afford to do what you said we should do.

Now that the third is over for us, time to lock again.
Originally posted by D-Money:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
How bout..................NO!!!

Haha co sign

Care to give a reason?

How bout............NO!!!!
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
How bout..................NO!!!