There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2010 draft revisited.

That Taylor Mays pick was an epic failure.
Originally posted by lamontb:

One year into his career?

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I have to admit that the Taylor Mays pick had the smell of a Raiders pick, all they did was look at the athleticism and did not watch the game tape. If you need a safety who can sit way back and come up and stop the run, Mays is the person. If you want a game changer, then he is not the right pick
Originally posted by 9erred:

I have to admit that the Taylor Mays pick had the smell of a Raiders pick, all they did was look at the athleticism and did not watch the game tape. If you need a safety who can sit way back and come up and stop the run, Mays is the person. If you want a game changer, then he is not the right pick

hes physically gifted hard worker and smart he was a steal in the 2nd
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
This thread was never intended to be a Iupati vs Pouncey thread. Iupati and Pouncey both had stellar rookies seasons, the niners would have been good with either as a draft choice.

My point was the Niners would have been better searved with Earl Thomas> Taylor Mays and Anthony Davis was outplayed by the third round pick who started as a rookie for the Raiders in Jared Velheer.

The insult to injury is the trading away a 4th to move up to get Davis.

Quote:
I know it is easy to go back and say coulda woulda coulda, but a lot of mock drafts and zoners have the draft going down the way it could have.

Round 1 pick 13, Earl Thomas FS
Round 1 pick 17 Mike Iupati
Round 2 pick 45- Jared Veldeer OT

Just doing the first two rounds with no traded. Same players at positions of need, just switched.

A lot of mocks had the niners taking Earl Thomas and best OL at 17. I hope DAvis pulls his head out of his arse and Taylor Mays proves the niners did not make a Raider type speed draft choice.

Sorry I don't know how I could have gone so far off topic.
Originally posted by KID9R:
This thread was never intended to be a Iupati vs Pouncey thread. Iupati and Pouncey both had stellar rookies seasons, the niners would have been good with either as a draft choice.

My point was the Niners would have been better searved with Earl Thomas> Taylor Mays and Anthony Davis was outplayed by the third round pick who started as a rookie for the Raiders in Jared Velheer.

Quote:
I know it is easy to go back and say coulda woulda coulda, but a lot of mock drafts and zoners have the draft going down the way it could have.

Just doing the first two rounds with no traded. Same players at positions of need, just switched.

A lot of mocks had the niners taking Earl Thomas and best OL at 17. I hope DAvis pulls his head out of his arse and Taylor Mays proves the niners did not make a Raider type speed draft choice.

I would say it was my fault. You said "positions of need" and last years draft our need was for a CB more then a Safety. We still had Goldson coming off a good year, Michael Lewis, Reggie Smith, and Curtis Taylor, CB was a bigger need over Safety. Alot of mocks had us taking Haden. So here we are 2011 and we still need a CB more then a Safety. Had we picked McCourty, we'd have less of a need. Now in regards to my Pouncey over Iupati, if you look I had added "or Iupati". It all depends. While I think Iupati will develop into a great LG, a center like Pouncey to me has more value. He can play both guard positions well and is a Pro-Bowl Center. Center to me is more valuable then Guard. And the added bonus of versatility makes Pouncey more valuable. RT was also a need. I put Webb at the RT. He started 13 straight games. He gave up 10 1/2 sacks, and had 6 penalties, but considering A.Davis's stats (11 1/2 sacks, 10 Penalties {6 being False Starts}) , a 7th Rd. was more valuable. Now I still have hope in our players and think they can all turn out to be good players.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Quote:

I would say it was my fault. You said "positions of need" and last years draft our need was for a CB more then a Safety. We still had Goldson coming off a good year, Michael Lewis, Reggie Smith, and Curtis Taylor, CB was a bigger need over Safety. Alot of mocks had us taking Haden. So here we are 2011 and we still need a CB more then a Safety. Had we picked McCourty, we'd have less of a need. Now in regards to my Pouncey over Iupati, if you look I had added "or Iupati". It all depends. While I think Iupati will develop into a great LG, a center like Pouncey to me has more value. He can play both guard positions well and is a Pro-Bowl Center. Center to me is more valuable then Guard. And the added bonus of versatility makes Pouncey more valuable. RT was also a need. I put Webb at the RT. He started 13 straight games. He gave up 10 1/2 sacks, and had 6 penalties, but considering A.Davis's stats (11 1/2 sacks, 10 Penalties {6 being False Starts}) , a 7th Rd. was more valuable. Now I still have hope in our players and think they can all turn out to be good players.

I was never really quoting you. My only argument was Iupati over Pouncey or not.

Quote:

I was never really quoting you. My only argument was Iupati over Pouncey or not.

I know. Mine was more in reference to 9erred. He didn't want us to debate over Pouncey or Iupati. But he made a thread wanting to revisit the draft and didn't want use to debate on which players we should have drafted? Lol, just kind of funny to me.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

Quote:

I know. Mine was more in reference to 9erred. He didn't want us to debate over Pouncey or Iupati. But he made a thread wanting to revisit the draft and didn't want use to debate on which players we should have drafted? Lol, just kind of funny to me.

exactly
The A.Davis pick has the smell of desperation all over it. No way that guy was the BPA, especially when we went up to get him. That was a need pick if I've ever seen one.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I agree with some it should've been Earl Thomas and Iupati. And in the 2nd Terrance Cody. Although I'm still happy with Taylor Mays, I haven't given up on him by any means.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
No. If your doing NO trades, you'd take:

Devin McCourty at 13 (Davis pick)
Maurkice Pouncey (or Iupati) at 17
Brandon Spikes at 49 (Mays pick),
Colt McCoy at 79 (moved back then picked Bowman),
Aaron Hernandez at 113 (pick we gave to Denver),
LeGarrette Blount at 173 (Dixon pick),
J'Marcus Webb at 182 (Byham pick),
Marc Mariani at 206 (Williams pick),
Sam Shields at 224 (Adams pick)

There's no way you'd pick Thomas over McCourty. And every position we picked had a better alternative later in the draft.
But theres no sense in doing it. We have who we have. It's 2010 "The Year of the Harbaugh"

Also no way you take Pouncey over Iupati

You know Pouncey made the probowl right?

Yea because he was on a good steelers team and was their only decent offensive lineman.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I agree. But lets give him a little more playing time to consider him even a failure. At least Mays has shown some flashes, sure he wasn't the impact player Berry or E. Thomas was last year, but hey it was his rookie year cut him some slack.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I agree. But lets give him a little more playing time to consider him even a failure. At least Mays has shown some flashes, sure he wasn't the impact player Berry or E. Thomas was last year, but hey it was his rookie year cut him some slack.

He didn't get much help from the corners either. Nate and Spence routinely allowed their man to get a step on them. With better play from the corners, the safeties can take more chances and go for those highlight reel hits. I'm more worried that Mays is going to get suspended for some of the hits he made in college. I wouldn't mind if those bone-rattling hits came against the right players (like Roddy White, Steven Jackson, Leon Washington or Dexter McCluster).