• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by lamontb:
That Taylor Mays pick was an epic failure.

I have to admit that the Taylor Mays pick had the smell of a Raiders pick, all they did was look at the athleticism and did not watch the game tape. If you need a safety who can sit way back and come up and stop the run, Mays is the person. If you want a game changer, then he is not the right pick

hes physically gifted hard worker and smart he was a steal in the 2nd

I agree. But lets give him a little more playing time to consider him even a failure. At least Mays has shown some flashes, sure he wasn't the impact player Berry or E. Thomas was last year, but hey it was his rookie year cut him some slack.

He didn't get much help from the corners either. Nate and Spence routinely allowed their man to get a step on them. With better play from the corners, the safeties can take more chances and go for those highlight reel hits. I'm more worried that Mays is going to get suspended for some of the hits he made in college. I wouldn't mind if those bone-rattling hits came against the right players (like Roddy White, Steven Jackson, Leon Washington or Dexter McCluster).

Exactly, its not like our CB's always held their ground either. It seemed like our CB's were relying too much on Safety help rather than playing his receiver straight up.
Originally posted by English:

One year into his career?

Pretty much. Usually i would never say that. The guy couldn't cover in college and he can't cover now. Mays just has no instincts and his hips aren't fluid. What he's missing can't be coached up. I'll be happy to be wrong but I don't see it.
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM ]
Oh, it's this thread again!

Pretty much. Usually i would never say that. The guy couldn't cover in college and he can't cover now. Mays just has no instincts and his hips aren't fluid. What he's missing can't be coached up. I'll be happy to be wrong but I don't see it.

All these pick arguments from last year are negotiable. No one we picked played SO bad that we should quit on them immediately, and conversely - I don't feel that anyone we had a shot of drafting played SO well that I am sorry we didn't draft them.

What is not negotiable is Kentwan Balmer and Chilo Rachal in 2008 instead of Desean Jackson.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

C'mon lamontb, Mays covered Steve Smith step for step on a deep route that he broke up in the endzone, if I recall.

Quote:

(10:47) 3-M.Moore pass incomplete deep left to 89-S.Smith (23-T.Mays). CAR-89-S.Smith was injured during the play. His return is Probable.
13. iupati
17. dez bryant
Niners drafted 2 - 1st team All Pros (Iupati & Bowman) and starting RT (no missed starts) in the first 91 picks.

Talk about building the backbone of our team. Ironically we still had a wasted pick @ 49 with Taylor Mays

[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 17, 2013 at 12:28 AM ]
I'll take Anthony Davis all day long. Teams still don't understand that you need an O'Line to win in this league. Philly,GB and many others using a patch work offensive line and getting their QB's killed.
I followed the 2010 NFL draft pretty closely, more so than 2011 and 2012 due to our 2 first round picks. I wasn't that big on Anthony Davis, but I felt good about taking a OT. Like everybody else I loved the Iupati pick, you watched him play in college and it was . I think both picks were the right picks.

2nd Round - I said it at the time that Taylor Mays would be a major bust. I could not believe we picked him. Most obvious draft mistake I've seen in a long time. Anyone that watched USC play knew he couldn't do s**t in pass coverage. Really he should have bulked up and played OLB. Taking Terrence Cody would have been much better, I recall lots of people on here wanting Cody.

3rd Round - I remember thinking Bowman who? Wow am I glad we picked him now!!!! I think at the time I wanted WR Gilyard

6th Round - Well I think 31 teams missed on WR Anthony Brown
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM ]
Hindsight!

Recently listening to the talking heads, "The 49ers have the bEST Oline in the nFL"

Talk about a turn-around!!

The wars are won in the trenches. GREAT picks.

Totally agree - Mays was a BAD pick, but there isn't any perfect draft.

The niners will live and die by their line play. Troy Aikman who isn't the biggest niner fan said about that the niners line reminds him a lot of his line when he played and Dallas dominated people with that line.

Yes, at times they don't look that good, but other times like Sunday they are gashing people.

Boone over Synder was a great move. He's way more athletic than I thought and solidified the right side.

Iupati is a MAULER......he is becoming the all pro that everyone envisioned him to be.

Staley played great on Sunday.....and has been pretty solid all year to go with his pro bowl selection.

Anthony Davis is getting better every game. He still has room to grow and get better, he's the youngest guy on the line.

Jonathan Goodwin has the experience you want at center and makes all of the calls. He's probably the weakest guy on the line, but he's smart. I like that we have Kilgore and Looney to compete for the Center spot.

It's funny to hear that our line is the best in the nfl.......I would have said best run blocking line, but with Kaepernick too, he can avoid the sacks that Alex couldn't which helps out the line, and now that they have played together for a year (2 years together if you subtract Boone)......sky is the limit for the group.

YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG STRENGTHENING THE LINE!!!!
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
No. If your doing NO trades, you'd take:

Devin McCourty at 13 (Davis pick)
Maurkice Pouncey (or Iupati) at 17
Brandon Spikes at 49 (Mays pick),
Colt McCoy at 79 (moved back then picked Bowman),
Aaron Hernandez at 113 (pick we gave to Denver),
LeGarrette Blount at 173 (Dixon pick),
J'Marcus Webb at 182 (Byham pick),
Marc Mariani at 206 (Williams pick),
Sam Shields at 224 (Adams pick)

There's no way you'd pick Thomas over McCourty. And every position we picked had a better alternative later in the draft.
But theres no sense in doing it. We have who we have. It's 2010 "The Year of the Harbaugh"

Also no way you take Pouncey over Iupati

And No way McCoy over Bowman, McCoy is a bust IMO, not an NFL QB right now IMO.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

Happy with the Anthony Davis pick.
A solid draft for the Niners. On my board, I had Iupati at 13, Dez Bryant at 17, and Morgan Burnett at 45.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I know it is easy to go back and say coulda woulda coulda, but a lot of mock drafts and zoners have the draft going down the way it could have.

Round 1 pick 13, Earl Thomas FS
Round 1 pick 17 Mike Iupati
Round 2 pick 45- Jared Veldeer OT

Just doing the first two rounds with no traded. Same players at positions of need, just switched.

A lot of mocks had the niners taking Earl Thomas and best OL at 17. I hope DAvis pulls his head out of his arse and Taylor Mays proves the niners did not make a Raider type speed draft choice.

Yep, like Anthony Davis a lot, but missing on Earl Thomas was a biggie, he could have been like the Ed Reed for this defense, with Goldson at strong safety, that would make an absurdly tough defense that much tougher.

Franchise free safety vs starting right tackle....it's really a no-brainer. Hindsight is so crystal clear!
Share 49ersWebzone