Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Gruden's article on these 5 QBs

Good read. I'm still surprised Ponder wasn't invited

It seems pretty clear from this article that Gruden was most impressed with Dalton. He gives a lot of praise to each QB but he really heaps it on Dalton.

I've watched all of the episodes so far except for Locker (I hear that his was impressive) and I was most impressed with Dalton too. I'd rank their interviews like this...

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

... Grand Canyon sized gap ...

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

how can you put Mallett last?

He broke down his play(which was way more complex then the rest of them) very well. Having to read zone, man and blitz presures with hot reads. The most ready to play imo.

I agree with the part you said Mallet shouldn't be last. He can at least name a play they run. Newton couldn't even give 1 name of a pass play they run. He couldn't come up with the verbiage for just 1 play!
Btw, did anyone see the Gruden Camp with Nick Fairley? He sounded dumb as could be. His only responses were pretty much "Oh yeah" and "you gotta be".

The Auburn offense doesn't use "verbiage" in a traditional sense, nor did Cam "call plays" in a traditonal huddle. It's a fast-paced, fast-break, no-huddle offense that uses a series of signs/numbers to call out plays, formations, patterns, etc., that come from a flip-chart on the sideline.

this.

Auburn offense was run like the Levys Bills offense with Kelly imo. Pretty much keep up or lose trying.

Auburn's offense is quite similar to Oregon's in that there are no huddles and plays are called out via hand signals or pictures on big boards. Also, the entire team looks at the play rather than the QB relaying the call.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

It seems pretty clear from this article that Gruden was most impressed with Dalton. He gives a lot of praise to each QB but he really heaps it on Dalton.

I've watched all of the episodes so far except for Locker (I hear that his was impressive) and I was most impressed with Dalton too. I'd rank their interviews like this...

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

He broke down his play(which was way more complex then the rest of them) very well. Having to read zone, man and blitz presures with hot reads. The most ready to play imo.

I agree with the part you said Mallet shouldn't be last. He can at least name a play they run. Newton couldn't even give 1 name of a pass play they run. He couldn't come up with the verbiage for just 1 play!
Btw, did anyone see the Gruden Camp with Nick Fairley? He sounded dumb as could be. His only responses were pretty much "Oh yeah" and "you gotta be".

The Auburn offense doesn't use "verbiage" in a traditional sense, nor did Cam "call plays" in a traditonal huddle. It's a fast-paced, fast-break, no-huddle offense that uses a series of signs/numbers to call out plays, formations, patterns, etc., that come from a flip-chart on the sideline.

this.

Auburn offense was run like the Levys Bills offense with Kelly imo. Pretty much keep up or lose trying.

Auburn's offense is quite similar to Oregon's in that there are no huddles and plays are called out via hand signals or pictures on big boards. Also, the entire team looks at the play rather than the QB relaying the call.

I heard them say before NC game that Oregon had the fastest offense in college. Didnt believe till I saw it.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Wow Newton look like s**t, I just started laughing when he was trying to explain why he tried to run it in on a kneel play.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Wow Newton look like s**t, I just started laughing when he was trying to explain why he tried to run it in on a kneel play.

LOL Ive seen worse explainations for f**king up. Its always easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Im not shocked Chucky didnt let him have it tho. I think he got chub when Newton was throwing the ball.

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

this.

I heard them say before NC game that Oregon had the fastest offense in college. Didnt believe till I saw it.

Oh and it is fun to watch every week. We are near the bottom of the nation in time of possession, but at the top in scoring lol.

We have gone to the Rose Bowl and the NC in back to back years with all mid-level recruits.

now that we are getting some of the nation's top high school athletes in our system

what did he say? I always wondered why the f**k he would do that.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

LOL Ive seen worse explainations for f**king up. Its always easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Im not shocked Chucky didnt let him have it tho. I think he got chub when Newton was throwing the ball.

Million dollar arm/legs 2ยข brain.

They were so close to scoring that he could just reach out and score. He and his OL wanted to go for it. So they did. It was a rambling excuse for not following orders in going for a score instead of kneeling. After the beating Oregon gave them im not surprised the players wanted that TD.

They were so close to scoring that he could just reach out and score. He and his OL wanted to go for it. So they did. It was a rambling excuse for not following orders in going for a score instead of kneeling. After the beating Oregon gave them im not surprised the players wanted that TD.

Yeah, he botched the answer to that question.

To me, the most impressive was Dalton*. I thought he appeared confident and he seemed to click more with Gruden than any of the other QBs.

I would rank them as follows:
1. Dalton
2. Gabbert
3. Locker
4. Newton
5. Mallet

I would have put Locker ahead of Gabbert but he kept scribbling stuff down in a notepad which I thought was wholly unnecessary. At one time, Gruden was praising him and he was writing notes. This made me go out loud "what is he writing?"

* I admit my bias.

-9fA

We should've won that game

We shut down Cam Newton, but Nick Fairley just killed killed us in the trenches

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Yeah, he botched the answer to that question.

To me, the most impressive was Dalton*. I thought he appeared confident and he seemed to click more with Gruden than any of the other QBs.

I would rank them as follows:
1. Dalton
2. Gabbert
3. Locker
4. Newton
5. Mallet

I would have put Locker ahead of Gabbert but he kept scribbling stuff down in a notepad which I thought was wholly unnecessary. At one time, Gruden was praising him and he was writing notes. This made me go out loud "what is he writing?"

* I admit my bias.

-9fA

They all had notepads and were taking notes. In the Newton one, Gruden kept telling him to write stuff down LOL.

If I had to rank it:

1. Dalton
2. Locker
3. Mallett
4. Gabbert
5. Newton
Newton didnt even look at Gruden for some/part of the segment

kept writing on his notepad and looking at the TV..of film of him winning the title

this kid might be good, but its gonna take a while.

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

Notice that I put Newton and Mallett as "a" and "b" so I basically see them as performing equally poorly in the interview. The problem I had with Mallett was that he hardly said anything during most of the interview and offered very little other than a "yes sir" or "no sir" when asked anything. IMO, he was trying waaaaaaay too hard to be a "good character" guy and because of that, he offered zero insight.

And then I think we all agree about Newton's interview which included him stumbling all over himself while trying to explain his "loaded gun" analogy as its highlight.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

Notice that I put Newton and Mallett as "a" and "b" so I basically see them as performing equally poorly in the interview. The problem I had with Mallett was that he hardly said anything during most of the interview and offered very little other than a "yes sir" or "no sir" when asked anything. IMO, he was trying waaaaaaay too hard to be a "good character" guy and because of that, he offered zero insight.

And then I think we all agree about Newton's interview which included him stumbling all over himself while trying to explain his "loaded gun" analogy as its highlight.

That's my point. Instead of struggling with a stupid metaphor, he just agrees and kills it on the board. x's and o's he's first imo, I don't really need a likable QB.
Folks.. If I'm looking this at a fair standpoint, I'd say Mallett, Locker, and Dalton all had equally impressive interviews. This coming from a non-Mallett and non-Locker fan, so no bias here. Mallett answered all the questions well, and broke down the play very well. As did Locker and Dalton. Gabbert carried himself fine, although he looked a little nervous.

If I had to rate their interviews with Gruden it would be:

Tie 1st - Locker, Mallett, Dalton
2nd - Gabbert
3rd - Newton. Totally inarticulate and just altogether had a rough interview.

I'm not buying this "Oh, Mallett was just trying to sound like a good guy" bull crap. C'mon now, fellas. All you hear about him from his coach and teammates supports that this is how he really is. Although you may not like certain players -- again, I'm not a huge fan of Mallett, Newton, or Locker -- we can at least be fair.
Share 49ersWebzone