LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

John Gruden Quarterback Camp

Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Dude, where does all this s**t about Mallett come from? He was extremely impressive in his interview. He was polite, he was great on the whiteboard, he was really listening to what Gruden was saying and was invested in it...Ryan Mallett is going to shock some people when he makes it to the league and his character concerns melt away and he keeps balling out of his mind!

I think it's a matter of haters trying to nitpick on every single little thing. Just like with Locker's episode. To me, he looked decent. He explained plays pretty well, and he was active on the field. But people don't like him say that he sounded dumb in the episode
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Dude, where does all this s**t about Mallett come from? He was extremely impressive in his interview. He was polite, he was great on the whiteboard, he was really listening to what Gruden was saying and was invested in it...Ryan Mallett is going to shock some people when he makes it to the league and his character concerns melt away and he keeps balling out of his mind!

I think it's a matter of haters trying to nitpick on every single little thing. Just like with Locker's episode. To me, he looked decent. He explained plays pretty well, and he was active on the field. But people don't like him say that he sounded dumb in the episode

Yeah that's gotta be it....oh well, some team is gonna be smart enough to see all of this and get an elite quarterback!

Yeah that's gotta be it....oh well, some team is gonna be smart enough to see all of this and get an elite quarterback!

Absolutely. Coaches, GMs, and scouts do enough homework on a prospect to know whether they want them on the team or not. They know way more than what we fans see on television.

Absolutely. Coaches, GMs, and scouts do enough homework on a prospect to know whether they want them on the team or not. They know way more than what we fans see on television.

Exactly why if Mallet drops to round two there probably are some serious issues behind the scene.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by TX9R:
OK, I watched both Dalton and Mallet's last night. I don't get at all what any of you are saying negatively about Dalton, just seems like a regular ol' Texas boy to me. Maybe that comes off differently in other parts of the country. Mallet though would scare the hell out of me. Very Leafish, I don't think he'll handle media scrutiny well.

you got a link for Mallet's? I missed that one.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6347583
The more I see of this QB class the more I think of the 2006 QB class. That class had Young, Cutler, & Leinart at the top & Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle, etc. in the later rds. So out of that draft you have 1 borderline Pro-Bowl level QB, some busts, & a few solid backup QBs. I see about the same results coming out of this draft.
OK, I watched both Dalton and Mallet's last night. I don't get at all what any of you are saying negatively about Dalton, just seems like a regular ol' Texas boy to me. Maybe that comes off differently in other parts of the country. Mallet though would scare the hell out of me. Very Leafish, I don't think he'll handle media scrutiny well.

I've lived in Texas most of my life. I get what you're saying, "Maybe that comes off differently in other parts of the country." haha some things do. With that said, I think he came across with an odd personality and was extremely nervous...showing his lack of confidence on the board.

All of this doesn't matter if he's just a winner, which he's proven to be thus far

Winners win games. Winners win SB's. Winning is all that matters. Winning.
Originally posted by epdavis:
The more I see of this QB class the more I think of the 2006 QB class. That class had Young, Cutler, & Leinart at the top & Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle, etc. in the later rds. So out of that draft you have 1 borderline Pro-Bowl level QB, some busts, & a few solid backup QBs. I see about the same results coming out of this draft.

That's a good analysis...hopefully we don't draft the next Kellen Clemens.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by lamontb:

you got a link for Mallet's? I missed that one.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6347583

YESSIR

Ha! I like that comparison.

Newton = Young
Mallett = Leinart
Locker = Cutler
Dalton = Clemens
Kaepernick = Jackson
Ponder = Whitehurst
Stanzi = Croyle

Not sure where Gabbert fits in.....

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Newton = Young
Mallett = Leinart
Locker = Cutler
Dalton = Clemens
Kaepernick = Jackson
Ponder = Whitehurst
Stanzi = Croyle

So essentially the only thing similar is the # of qbs.

Newton = Young
Mallett = Leinart
Locker = Cutler
Dalton = Clemens
Kaepernick = Jackson
Ponder = Whitehurst
Stanzi = Croyle

Yeah seriously, because none of those were good comps.

Newton = Young
Mallett = Leinart
Locker = Cutler
Dalton = Clemens
Kaepernick = Jackson
Ponder = Whitehurst
Stanzi = Croyle

Yeah seriously, because none of those were good comps.

I was comparing the classes in terms of what I think the results will be. I was not comparing player to player (though I do see a few similarities there also). I just think the results of the '11 class will be about the same as '06. Only 1 QB becomes borderline Pro-bowl level, quite a few bust & the rest will be career back-ups.
Gruden's article on these 5 QBs

Good read. I'm still surprised Ponder wasn't invited
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Gruden's article on these 5 QBs

Good read. I'm still surprised Ponder wasn't invited

he compared Newton to Mcnabb, Mallett to Grbac and Locker to Gannon
Share 49ersWebzone