There are 360 users in the forums

John Gruden Quarterback Camp

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Gruden's article on these 5 QBs

Good read. I'm still surprised Ponder wasn't invited

It seems pretty clear from this article that Gruden was most impressed with Dalton. He gives a lot of praise to each QB but he really heaps it on Dalton.

I've watched all of the episodes so far except for Locker (I hear that his was impressive) and I was most impressed with Dalton too. I'd rank their interviews like this...

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

... Grand Canyon sized gap ...

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

how can you put Mallett last?

He broke down his play(which was way more complex then the rest of them) very well. Having to read zone, man and blitz presures with hot reads. The most ready to play imo.

I agree with the part you said Mallet shouldn't be last. He can at least name a play they run. Newton couldn't even give 1 name of a pass play they run. He couldn't come up with the verbiage for just 1 play!
Btw, did anyone see the Gruden Camp with Nick Fairley? He sounded dumb as could be. His only responses were pretty much "Oh yeah" and "you gotta be".

The Auburn offense doesn't use "verbiage" in a traditional sense, nor did Cam "call plays" in a traditonal huddle. It's a fast-paced, fast-break, no-huddle offense that uses a series of signs/numbers to call out plays, formations, patterns, etc., that come from a flip-chart on the sideline.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

It seems pretty clear from this article that Gruden was most impressed with Dalton. He gives a lot of praise to each QB but he really heaps it on Dalton.

I've watched all of the episodes so far except for Locker (I hear that his was impressive) and I was most impressed with Dalton too. I'd rank their interviews like this...

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

He broke down his play(which was way more complex then the rest of them) very well. Having to read zone, man and blitz presures with hot reads. The most ready to play imo.

I agree with the part you said Mallet shouldn't be last. He can at least name a play they run. Newton couldn't even give 1 name of a pass play they run. He couldn't come up with the verbiage for just 1 play!
Btw, did anyone see the Gruden Camp with Nick Fairley? He sounded dumb as could be. His only responses were pretty much "Oh yeah" and "you gotta be".

The Auburn offense doesn't use "verbiage" in a traditional sense, nor did Cam "call plays" in a traditonal huddle. It's a fast-paced, fast-break, no-huddle offense that uses a series of signs/numbers to call out plays, formations, patterns, etc., that come from a flip-chart on the sideline.

this.
Ryan Mallett impressed me in his segment

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

From the clips provided in that article, I liked how Locker and Dalton conducted themselves.
Originally posted by valrod33:

I didn't like him, until they started talking about actual plays.

Dalton impressed me the most.
Originally posted by 49er4life:

I didn't like him, until they started talking about actual plays.

Dalton impressed me the most.

Same with me once they started going over the plays I was like niiiiiiiice
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

this.

Auburn offense was run like the Levys Bills offense with Kelly imo. Pretty much keep up or lose trying.
Gotta agree that Dalton impressed the most. The rest had different strengths and weaknesses.

Locker needs to learn to think different with respect to taking hits. They're bigger/quicker/stronger at the next level.

Don't like Newtons release. Weird how defensive he got about the attempt to go for it on the goal line situation.

Gabbert was second best. Just didn't seem as comfortable/relaxed when he was getting asked questions.

Indifferent about Mallet.

Same here but I think Ryan Mallett can be a pretty good QB and has all the tools but his off the field problems he got to work on. I can feel a jamarcus and Leaf in him. But he can be pretty good. Also Dalton impresses me the most. As far as Cam Newton goes I am 100% sure that he will have a hard time transitioning in the NFL. The offense they ran is as complicated as the youth football league goes. As for Gabbert I didn't see anything special.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Gotta agree that Dalton impressed the most. The rest had different strengths and weaknesses.

Locker needs to learn to think different with respect to taking hits. They're bigger/quicker/stronger at the next level.

Don't like Newtons release. Weird how defensive he got about the attempt to go for it on the goal line situation.

Gabbert was second best. Just didn't seem as comfortable/relaxed when he was getting asked questions.

I'm not sure what people are talking about with Dalton. What was so impressive about him compared to the others? Let me be clear I absolutely love Dalton as a prospect and have him as the #2 QB on my positional board, but if you're going off the videos, Mallett was equally if not more impressive.

If I had to guess, Dalton will not go in the first round. Which could bode well for us, and I'd be ecstatic if we landed him. I think there will be four first round QBs, unless someone is insane enough to go after Kaepernick in the first. He's another player that, again, I think is a tremendous prospect but the first is just too early.

R1: Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, Locker

R2: Ponder, Kaepernick, Dalton
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM ]

#1 Mallett
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I'm not sure what people are talking about with Dalton. What was so impressive about him compared to the others? Let me be clear I absolutely love Dalton as a prospect and have him as the #2 QB on my positional board, but if you're going off the videos, Mallett was equally if not more impressive.

If I had to guess, Dalton will not go in the first round. Which could bode well for us, and I'd be ecstatic if we landed him. I think there will be four first round QBs, unless someone is insane enough to go after Kaepernick in the first. He's another player that, again, I think is a tremendous prospect but the first is just too early.

Not going by videos - they can choose to show whatever game film they want - make them look good/bad.

Strictly talking about how they handled the interview and interacted with a (former) NFL Head Coach.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Not going by videos - they can choose to show whatever game film they want - make them look good/bad.

Strictly talking about how they handled the interview and interacted with a (former) NFL Head Coach.

Then you're going off the videos -- of the interview -- which is exactly what I was referring to. I'm not talking about people claiming to have "reviewed film" by watching YouTube.

While I'm a major proponent for Andy, I don't see how Dalton's interview went any better than Mallett's. Not to ruffle anyone's feathers here, but I think some individuals are somewhat falling prey to selective viewing/hearing -- seeing what they want to see.

I felt they all did fine in their interviews with the exception of Newton; he was rather inarticulate.
Gruden quaterback camp is great, and it kind of makes me like Jon a bit more as a coach. I was one of his biggest detractors in our search for a new coach but I have turned over a new leaf for Gruden.

1) Dalton

... big gap ...

2) Gabbert

3a) Newton
3b) Mallett

I do understand that, but how do you not know the actual name of 1 play in your playbooks. Knowing the # assigned to a certain play is all fine and good, but Gruden wanted just 1 name of a play. Cam could have said anything, "Slot Left Shoot Right 437 X Hitch, but in our offense we use a number chart" instead of staying "I don't know, you really put me on the spot. A casual viewer may see that and think the dude only learned what he had to and didn't study the playbook at all. Instead just memorized #s and not the whole play. Just looked bad IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone