LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

Wonderlic scores for the QBs

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by submoa:
for a QB I think the score matters... would be interesting to see if there is a correlation to Wonderlic and QB passer rating (I know Marino had a low one, but with data there are usually outliers)

Quote:
Since 1998, these are some of the NFL quarterbacks who aced all three parts of the Rule of 26-27-60: Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Matt Ryan, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Stafford.

Meanwhile, among the once highly-touted prospects who failed at least one part of the formula: Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, Michael Vick, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Daunte Culpepper, David Carr, Vince Young and JaMarcus Russell.

There are a few notable exceptions to the rule but only by slight margins. Two-time Super Bowl champ Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25 on the Wonderlic, just one point short of the standard of 26. Jay Cutler -- a mixed-bag thus far in the NFL -- scored exactly a 26 on his Wonderlic and had the starts, but completed 57 percent of his passes at Vanderbilt. Joe Flacco, who's been to the playoffs in each of his first two seasons, fell short in the starts category.

It stands to reason why the Rule of 26-27-60 makes the most sense as a quick guide to NFL quarterbacking success, too.

The 26 represents the minimum Wonderlic score required to score a passing grade. Consider some of the lower-scoring quarterbacks drafted since 1998 when it comes to the Wonderlic: Vick (who scored a 20), Akili Smith (26), Couch (22), Carr (24), Young (16, first reported as a six) and Russell (24). All of them have been considered at best under-achievers, at worst busts.

The most notable exceptions to the rule are Brett Favre, who scored a reported 22 on the Wonderlic, and Donovan McNabb, who scored a reported 14.

The 27 represents the minimum number of starts a quarterbacking draft prospect should have had in college to make the grade. Ask any NFL scout if he would rather have 12 games to grade or 27. Playing a lot of games means more opportunity to hone your craft in the heat of battle and gain confidence in your ability to perform under pressure. That translates well to the next level. Oregon's Akili Smith was drafted in 1999 after making just 11 collegiate starts. He ultimately made just 17 starts in Cincinnati.

And how many quarterbacks, like Leaf and Russell, have been drafted based on "upside." That is another way of saying a player couldn't complete 60-percent in college. Do you really think he can do it at the next level?

The exceptions are few. Finding NFL quarterbacks certainly is a science, but it's not rocket science. When in doubt, turn to the Rule of 26-27-60.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html#ixzz1GsaC2JR4

Great post Joe, I always prefered a QB that had at least 2 seasons starting under his belt and not just a one hit wonder, then again that applies to any player. Also prefer the term most NFL ready at this time than higher upside ceiling.
Blaine Gabbert = The Second coming of Johnny Utah!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Blaine Gabbert = The Second coming of Johnny Utah!

Who?
I can recall some posters arguing that Alex's high Wonderlick score was a negative; that he probably thought too much and did not rely enough on instinct. With such reasoning, these posters should be crossing Gabbert off their list.
24 is the average score for an NFL quarterback.

I think it's good news for Cam. He scored just below average and didn't embarrass himself like Young did.
Originally posted by valrod33:
FootballPost

NFL source: Colin Kaepernick scored a 37 on Wonderlic: Has third-highest quarterback score http://bit.ly/idTWHw #NFL

So where do we put Kaepernick relative to this holy 3 stat concept?

He has a very high wonderlick and more than enough starts.

The question is, how do you interpret his completion percentage? Over four years his comp %s are:

53.8, 54.3, 58.9, 64.9

That averages out to 57.8. Which is low, but not by much. But you could also make the argument that you're penalizing him for starting all four years. And that if you just took his last 27 games his percentage would be over 60.

I think the formula is pretty valid. But this seems like a case where it's hard to figure out how to accurately apply it.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
FootballPost

NFL source: Colin Kaepernick scored a 37 on Wonderlic: Has third-highest quarterback score http://bit.ly/idTWHw #NFL

So where do we put Kaepernick relative to this holy 3 stat concept?

He has a very high wonderlick and more than enough starts.

The question is, how do you interpret his completion percentage? Over four years his comp %s are:

53.8, 54.3, 58.9, 64.9

That averages out to 57.8. Which is low, but not by much. But you could also make the argument that you're penalizing him for starting all four years. And that if you just took his last 27 games his percentage would be over 60.

I think the formula is pretty valid. But this seems like a case where it's hard to figure out how to accurately apply it.

This is a good point. Any quarterback that starts as a freshman will have a lower average completion percentage than ones that start 2-3 years.

On the other hand, Kaepernick played in a very run-focused system. When Nevada threw the ball, did they throw it shorter or deeper than average?
Originally posted by communist:
mallett 26???

PEDs???
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by communist:
mallett 26???

PEDs???

[ Edited by communist on Mar 17, 2011 at 19:40:35 ]
I know they arent QBs but Barrows wrote that Prince scored a 35 and Peterson scored a 9 on their wonderlics

mean's nothing.
That score doesn't mean much, book smarts dont always correlate with the play on the field... Take Alex Smith for example. I'm sure the kid is smart, but he can't play football for sh*t.
  • evil
  • Veteran
I know they arent QBs but Barrows wrote that Prince scored a 35 and Peterson scored a 9 on their wonderlics

Man he is stupid dumb.

*WaitsForSomeoneToInsertRacistCommentNow*

You know it's coming right ?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Man he is stupid dumb.

*WaitsForSomeoneToInsertRacistCommentNow*

You know it's coming right ?

Don't see why, both are black, one guy did well the other is a moron. I attribute it to Peterson being from Louisiana. My company is headquartered in Louisiana and my experience is that everyone from there is very, very stupid.
Axle Smith scored highly.
Share 49ersWebzone