LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

draft rumors and news

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
The National Football Post's Wes Bunting hears Maryland RB Da'Rel Scott is on a "sky rocket" rise after posting a 4.34 forty at the Combine.
Bunting indicated that Scott is "even getting his name mentioned as a late first-round pick," which we find hard to believe. Bunting has Scott rated as a later-round pick, pointing out that he "wasn't even that dynamic at Maryland." He profiles as a committee back in the pros.

rotoworld.com

I'm shocked at that. I seen a ton of MD games living out here. He's never been that impressive, and has always fought injury problems. When he was healthy he was just a decent back. But you could argue he never got full time reps b/c a few years MD was using 2/3 man committee. But his size and speed is what makes him intriguing. Especially since most team is looking to get only 5 good years out of a RB. So if you can keep him healthy he could be that compliment to your featured back. I can't see him being graded higher than a 4th round back.

He's got a burst, and teams will like that when they review film. On the flip side, he's been dinged up quite a bit.

Scott as a first rounder is beyond laughable. Are you kidding me? He's not a terrible player, but seriously... Can someone say smokescreen? If you can even call it that. It's a pathetic attempt if it is.
Von Miller is overrated. Im even more confident saying that now that a 20 year veteran scout believes it.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Von Miller is overrated. Im even more confident saying that now that a 20 year veteran scout believes it.

I think he might be slightly overhyped more than "overrated."

Miller has always been a top 15 pick in my eyes, but top 5 not long ago would have really been pushing it. The hype always seems to have a sort of inflationary effect, but thinking about it, Miller didn't do much more than what was already expected of him at the combine.

Miller showed eye-popping athleticism, but that was to be expected. I can say it was impressive though that he added weight and lost no speed. That bumps him up some, but I can agree with those opponents that mention Miller is often a one-trick pony at OLB. I think he still needs to develop more moves rather than relying purely on athleticism.

He's an easy lock to go top 15, but his true value is probably top 12 instead of top 5.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
The National Football Post's Wes Bunting hears Maryland RB Da'Rel Scott is on a "sky rocket" rise after posting a 4.34 forty at the Combine.
Bunting indicated that Scott is "even getting his name mentioned as a late first-round pick," which we find hard to believe. Bunting has Scott rated as a later-round pick, pointing out that he "wasn't even that dynamic at Maryland." He profiles as a committee back in the pros.

rotoworld.com

I'm shocked at that. I seen a ton of MD games living out here. He's never been that impressive, and has always fought injury problems. When he was healthy he was just a decent back. But you could argue he never got full time reps b/c a few years MD was using 2/3 man committee. But his size and speed is what makes him intriguing. Especially since most team is looking to get only 5 good years out of a RB. So if you can keep him healthy he could be that compliment to your featured back. I can't see him being graded higher than a 4th round back.

He's got a burst, and teams will like that when they review film. On the flip side, he's been dinged up quite a bit.

Scott as a first rounder is beyond laughable. Are you kidding me? He's not a terrible player, but seriously... Can someone say smokescreen? If you can even call it that. It's a pathetic attempt if it is.

I agree, official first smokescreen of the year.
NFL personnel sources tell FOX Sports' Adam Caplan that Arizona DE Brooks Reed is in the mix to be a top-50 pick in this year's draft.
We took it a step further and mocked Reed to the Patriots at No. 28 on Sunday night. Caplan mentions Reed as a "hybrid" player along with Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston with a chance to be among 18 college defensive linemen drafted in the top 50. With a sensational 1.54 ten-yard split at 6'3/263, Reed's best position is expected to be outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

rotoworld.com

Now this is a rumor that makes some sense to me, top 50 definitely. First round is a dark horse candidate.
NFL personnel sources tell FOX Sports' Adam Caplan that Arizona DE Brooks Reed is in the mix to be a top-50 pick in this year's draft.
We took it a step further and mocked Reed to the Patriots at No. 28 on Sunday night. Caplan mentions Reed as a "hybrid" player along with Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston with a chance to be among 18 college defensive linemen drafted in the top 50. With a sensational 1.54 ten-yard split at 6'3/263, Reed's best position is expected to be outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

rotoworld.com

Now this is a rumor that makes some sense to me, top 50 definitely. First round is a dark horse candidate.

Hopefully not, I would love to get him in the second if we got Gabbert or Peterson or Dareus with #7
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I think he might be slightly overhyped more than "overrated."

Miller has always been a top 15 pick in my eyes, but top 5 not long ago would have really been pushing it. The hype always seems to have a sort of inflationary effect, but thinking about it, Miller didn't do much more than what was already expected of him at the combine.

Miller showed eye-popping athleticism, but that was to be expected. I can say it was impressive though that he added weight and lost no speed. That bumps him up some, but I can agree with those opponents that mention Miller is often a one-trick pony at OLB. I think he still needs to develop more moves rather than relying purely on athleticism.

He's an easy lock to go top 15, but his true value is probably top 12 instead of top 5.

Well if Miller is overrated then would there be some wisdom in trading down to get Miller/Kerrigan/Jordan if the top names are off the board and get enough picks to get Dalton in the 1st round plus someone like Reed/Moch etc?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

isnt that the same scout everyone was dumping on a couple weeks ago?
I feel a lot better about Miller after seeing him put on some mass and keep his speed but I still prefer Robert Quinn over him because I've seen him play at that speed and play very well.

I think the comparison to Gholston is silly. Vernon was a combine guy who had one good year at Ohio St and was more bodybuilder than player.

Von Miller has played very well for several years and has a much better outlook on the game than Gholston.
Originally posted by genus49:
I feel a lot better about Miller after seeing him put on some mass and keep his speed but I still prefer Robert Quinn over him because I've seen him play at that speed and play very well.

I think the comparison to Gholston is silly. Vernon was a combine guy who had one good year at Ohio St and was more bodybuilder than player.

Von Miller has played very well for several years and has a much better outlook on the game than Gholston.

Yeah the Gholston comparison is freaking retarded.

Originally posted by boast:

Not sure, but Miller has always been the guy to me in this years draft that would be over-drafted because of playing in the 3/4 system. I am not wowed in any way when its a run play to his side. He is shoved out of the way easily, and overpursues to make it easy on OTs. (Quinn also, but is more relentless and stronger.) I want force on the edge of my front 7, so im more on the bandwagon of Dareus or Jordan on the line (w/ Manny resigned), or Reed at OLB and even Kerrigan if we were to trade down. Those two OLBs really disrupt offensive rhythm throughout the whole game. Miller, to me, notsomuch.
Originally posted by boast:

Not sure, but Miller has always been the guy to me in this years draft that would be over-drafted because of playing in the 3/4 system. I am not wowed in any way when its a run play to his side. He is shoved out of the way easily, and overpursues to make it easy on OTs. (Quinn also, but is more relentless and stronger.) I want force on the edge of my front 7, so im more on the bandwagon of Dareus or Jordan on the line (w/ Manny resigned), or Reed at OLB and even Kerrigan if we were to trade down. Those two OLBs really disrupt offensive rhythm throughout the whole game. Miller, to me, notsomuch.

yes it was and that scout person is horrible if he says something think the complete opposite

i can pretty much say that von miller is gonna go all pro now
Former NFL scout Dave Razzano "loves" Jake Locker, preferring the Washington QB to Auburn's Cam Newton and Mizzou's Blaine Gabbert.
"At Washington his line was always shaky," said Razzano. "He had more balls dropped than anyone in the Pac-10." Invoking Brett Favre comparisons, Razzano believes Locker can make the "big-time throws" with elite athletic ability plus he doesn't take sacks. Razzano is the same scout who compared Texas A&M OLB Von Miller to Vernon Gholston. He was reportedly fired from the 49ers for a vehement protest against the drafting of Alex Smith.

rotoworld.com

Has he actually seen game film of him in the pocket? I don't care what kind of excuses they come up for him, he is not good.
I still think Locker will become a pretty good pro. He showed in the combine his improved footwork and accuracy that wasn't there during the Senior Bowl. If coached well and with a year of learning, he could become a very good NFL QB.
From Todd McShay:
New Mock next Wed (ESPN.com). Here's my Top-10 rankings:
1Dareus
2Miller
3Peterson
4Bowers
5Green
6Gabbert
7Quinn
8Fairley
9Prince
10Watt

I knew it would be time before I saw Miller over Peterson. To each their own, but I love me those top three for our team:
Dareus--LDE Beast to team with Justin Smith, impressive
Miller--LOLB Beast to team with Willis, best pass rusher perfectly fit for Fangio's scheme
Peterson--LCB Beast to take over Clements and provide ST value, too

I would with any of those three even Quinn who is the one we chose in this Mock:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/09000d5d81eaa708/Lombardi-Mock-draft-3-0?module=HP_headlines

Heck, even Gabbert or Newton could be the ones if either of those two drop. If anyone can make those two into high caliber NFL QBs is Mr. Jim Harbaugh so I would be at peace with that decision.

Times are a changin'...
Share 49ersWebzone