LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

draft rumors and news

I hope Cam Newton goes first and as Roger calls his name, you see good old Cam dropping down from the rafters like Lebron, Wade and Bosh. Followed by a speech 15 minutes later where he says he just wants to be the best player he can be for his team.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Otter:
If Peterson, Miller, and Quinn are gone by #7, do you consider Gabbert, if he's there? and do you pull the trigger?

It depends who is on the board at the time, and how the remaining players answer questions about themselves from their campus workout.

For me, Dareus is a terrific DL prospect, but I'd only look for him if he can sustain his weight at around 315+ pounds, and more importantly, put up more reps of 225. He lifted the bar only 24 times, and that is a concern for a guy built to play the NT position. I believe there is a better 3-4 DE on the board in Watt.

For AJ Green, what do the Niners think about Josh Morgan? If he is a number 3 or 4 for them, then Green has to be seriously considered.

Gabbert simply needs to throw well at the combine. The same goes for Newton. Both are in position to be top 10 picks, but Harbaugh will have to judge whether they can transition well to the NFL.

How much of a priority is it for the Niners to draft a CB right away with the 7th overall, and is Prince good value at the pick?

There are a ton of variables, including the rise of Watt and Jordan. Could they sneak into the top 10 picks.

This is a very good thing for the Niners to have this type of problem. Players like Quinn, Miller, Dareus, Peterson, Amukamara, Julio, Green, Jordan, Watt are all good players to consider at our spot.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Otter:
If Peterson, Miller, and Quinn are gone by #7, do you consider Gabbert, if he's there? and do you pull the trigger?

It depends who is on the board at the time, and how the remaining players answer questions about themselves from their campus workout.

For me, Dareus is a terrific DL prospect, but I'd only look for him if he can sustain his weight at around 315+ pounds, and more importantly, put up more reps of 225. He lifted the bar only 24 times, and that is a concern for a guy built to play the NT position. I believe there is a better 3-4 DE on the board in Watt.

For AJ Green, what do the Niners think about Josh Morgan? If he is a number 3 or 4 for them, then Green has to be seriously considered.

Gabbert simply needs to throw well at the combine. The same goes for Newton. Both are in position to be top 10 picks, but Harbaugh will have to judge whether they can transition well to the NFL.

How much of a priority is it for the Niners to draft a CB right away with the 7th overall, and is Prince good value at the pick?

There are a ton of variables, including the rise of Watt and Jordan. Could they sneak into the top 10 picks.

This is a very good thing for the Niners to have this type of problem. Players like Quinn, Miller, Dareus, Peterson, Amukamara, Julio, Green, Jordan, Watt are all good players to consider at our spot.

Being at number seven is tremendous for this team. They will get a quality player with the pick.
Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune has heard "rumblings" that the Seahawks are "not high" on Washington QB Jake Locker.
"But that could be a smokescreen," concedes Williams. Locker has local ties, so it was presumed that he'd be a sexy pick for the Seahawks at No. 25 overall. Then again, after "leading" the hometown Huskies to just 15 wins on 40 career starts, perhaps Locker isn't all that beloved in Washington, after all.

rotoworld.com

I personally don't think that is a smokescreen. Lockers games are brutal.
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:03 AM ]
Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett ran a 5.37 forty-yard dash at his Pro Day Tuesday.
Mallett, who's lost six pounds since the Combine, didn't dispel concern about his below-average athleticism on Tuesday. He has a 26-inch vertical "leap" and a broad jump of eight feet and just under eight inches. While these measurables obviously don't dictate success or lack thereof in the NFL, it's worth noting that Mallett's forty time -- run on a faster track at Arkansas -- would've easily been the slowest among quarterbacks at the Combine. Only Idaho's Nathan Enderle had a worse vertical in Indianapolis, and only TCU's Andy Dalton couldn't long jump as far.

rotoworld.com

That is pretty slow even for a pocket passer.
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:03 AM ]
The National Football Post's Wes Bunting hears Maryland RB Da'Rel Scott is on a "sky rocket" rise after posting a 4.34 forty at the Combine.
Bunting indicated that Scott is "even getting his name mentioned as a late first-round pick," which we find hard to believe. Bunting has Scott rated as a later-round pick, pointing out that he "wasn't even that dynamic at Maryland." He profiles as a committee back in the pros.

rotoworld.com
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
The National Football Post's Wes Bunting hears Maryland RB Da'Rel Scott is on a "sky rocket" rise after posting a 4.34 forty at the Combine.
Bunting indicated that Scott is "even getting his name mentioned as a late first-round pick," which we find hard to believe. Bunting has Scott rated as a later-round pick, pointing out that he "wasn't even that dynamic at Maryland." He profiles as a committee back in the pros.

rotoworld.com

I'm shocked at that. I seen a ton of MD games living out here. He's never been that impressive, and has always fought injury problems. When he was healthy he was just a decent back. But you could argue he never got full time reps b/c a few years MD was using 2/3 man committee. But his size and speed is what makes him intriguing. Especially since most team is looking to get only 5 good years out of a RB. So if you can keep him healthy he could be that compliment to your featured back. I can't see him being graded higher than a 4th round back.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Yeah they will try but remember a team will have to want to pass on him to do it and move down several spots

If he makes it passed 5, the Browns dont really need him because they drafted Haden last year, PRIME trading spot for the Browns

We should just move up 1 spot just in case!!! 1 spot wouldn't cost us that much either!!!
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

rotoworld.com

I'm shocked at that. I seen a ton of MD games living out here. He's never been that impressive, and has always fought injury problems. When he was healthy he was just a decent back. But you could argue he never got full time reps b/c a few years MD was using 2/3 man committee. But his size and speed is what makes him intriguing. Especially since most team is looking to get only 5 good years out of a RB. So if you can keep him healthy he could be that compliment to your featured back. I can't see him being graded higher than a 4th round back.

He's got a burst, and teams will like that when they review film. On the flip side, he's been dinged up quite a bit.
Today there are two articles that should stir some comments. First is Maiocco's article about 20-year NFL scout Dave Razzano saying that Von Miller is terribly overrated and that anyone drafting him early in first round will be awfully disappointed. He lacks motor and effort and is unable to fight off blocks.

In contrast, our dear Sacramento friend, Barrows, says he has a crush on Miller, and thinks the 49ers ought to get him if he is available at #7.

Who is right?

Originally posted by excelsior:
Today there are two articles that should stir some comments. First is Maiocco's article about 20-year NFL scout Dave Razzano saying that Von Miller is terribly overrated and that anyone drafting him early in first round will be awfully disappointed. He lacks motor and effort and is unable to fight off blocks.

In contrast, our dear Sacramento friend, Barrows, says he has a crush on Miller, and thinks the 49ers ought to get him if he is available at #7.

Who is right?

I wouldn't really put much thought on what Razzano said cus Von Miller and Vernon Gholston are two very different players. Gholston was strictly a defensive end at Ohio State while Von played the hybrid position.

I like Miller, but I wouldn't select him over Peterson, Quinn, or Dareus.

Who is right?

I wouldn't really put much thought on what Razzano said cus Von Miller and Vernon Gholston are two very different players. Gholston was strictly a defensive end at Ohio State while Von played the hybrid position.

lol he was a 20 year NFL scout. you wouldn't put stock in his opinion over a comparison you don't agree with?

hm
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Who is right?

lol he was a 20 year NFL scout. you wouldn't put stock in his opinion over a comparison you don't agree with?

hm

I didn't say that. I was strictly talking about his comparison between Miller and Gholston. Like I said, two completely different players.

Who is right?

hm

I didn't say that. I was strictly talking about his comparison between Miller and Gholston. Like I said, two completely different players.

I would say that he likely understands both players better than your or I could.

Who is right?

hm

I would say that he likely understands both players better than your or I could.

I understand just because he was a scout for 20 years, he'd know a lot more than we could, but if you watch football, anyone could tell you that Von Miller, who played both defensive end and OLB in Texas A&M's hybrid defense, is completely different than Vernon Gholston, a stiff defensive end.

Note: Another thing...Miller won the Butkus award and Gholston was nothing more than a workout warrior.
[ Edited by SF69ers on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone