There are 291 users in the forums

draft rumors and news

If they r gone at 7. Trade into the mid first round and pick up an extra third. Then trade our 2 thirds to get an earlier second rd pick. Mid first round and two second rounders would b just fine.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Yeah they will try but remember a team will have to want to pass on him to do it and move down several spots

If he makes it to past 5, the Bengals dont really need him because they drafted Haden last year, PRIME trading spot for the Browns

You mean the Browns at 6. The Bengals pick 4th overall. The Browns did select Joe Haden last year with their 7th overall.

I have been saying for some time now that the Cowboys will jump the Niners to get to Peterson if he is on the board at 6, and I have no doubt the Browns would be thrilled to move down a few slots to 10, pick up a second or third rounder in the deal, and still have a shot at either AJ Green or Julio Jones, or one of the DL who may slip.

I can see Miller at #5 and then Dallas jumping to #6 for Peterson taking both our top two players on our board, IMO.

That's why Baalke just needs to go get his guy at #4 whoever that is, Peterson or Miller if Dareus and Quinn are also gone.

IDK cause I'm torn between giving up two players to move up or drafting the next tier of players. Damn it man! I want one of these ELITE players at their respective positions. We have needed a pass rusher for so long and now we will have a #1 CB need, too. That's why Peterson or Miller have to be the picks.

I can dream right?

If not, trade down. I also like the idea of drafting Jordan or Watt in the first, Reed in the second along with a new QB toy for Harbaugh.

Three VS two players in the first two rounds is a position I wouldn't mind having. IDK how feasible it will be, but again, it will be exciting to watch.

Peterson
Miller
Dareus
Quinn

I don't want Prince or a 1st RD QB.

What's wrong with Prince. He's a very good corner.

Nothing wrong with him. I just don't want him. You know...like you want Kerrigan even over some other prospects. I would rather trade down for second tier players.

I believe he is at the top of the second tier, IMO. If that is the case, would rather trade down to get that second tier guy who can still start like Kerrigan for example while picking up that extra second.

Sure Amukamara is solid technician and has good speed, but I believe he is close if not at his celling. While Peterson, Miller, Quinn, and Dareus have tremendous upside. Maybe I'm way off in this, but Amukamara's upside is not that great.

I am sure OTC would very much disagree. It is more personal preference than ability on Prince. Something just doesn't seem right. He seems like he's more polished than Haden last year.

I guess I wouldn't be too upset IF we land a pass rusher like Reed in the second.

Do you think he's elite like the others? Just curious.

If Quinn, Peterson, Dareus, and Miller are all off the board, I'd be very happy with selecting Prince. IMO, he's directly behind Peterson as the top corner. He's very fluid, played very physical in college and has good footwork. Deion Sanders said it right that Prince has the physical make up of a Vontae Davis, who is becoming a very good corner in the NFL.

Oh, and Kerrigan was a beast at the combine too

I see Prince as the sort of Patrick Willis of CB's in this years draft, and by that I mean he's clearly the most all around polished player at his position but there's no telling where he can take his game in the NFL with more coaching at the next level.

Some scouts think Amukamara is the next Darelle Revis. That's high praise.

I don't know if I'd talk about him quite in that light just yet, but the guy is a heck of a player. I wouldn't mind us selecting him, but at the same time I think we're likely to have other players higher on the board when we make our pick.

I'm gonna get crap for this but,we should trade with the cowboy's and pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder, there are still plenty of good options for us at 10. Some team will bite on the Cam Newton Bandwagon, this could lead to a rush on QB's allowing for 2 in the top top. We have 7 viable players we need and there is always gonna be at least one surprise. I don't think we would ever pass on Miller, Peterson, or Quinn if they are there at 7, but Prince would be a steal at 10. I see him as the most pro-ready CB in the draft, and between him and Jimmy Smith he is one of the toughest.

If this were all to happen a fantasy scenario is to trade out of 7 to 10 or 11 pick up another 2nd or 3rd, then trade back up into late first early 2nd and grab a Brooks Reed or Ponder who may not fall to us at our 2nd spot. We have new systems on both offense and defense, we need to stockpile picks and get players the coaches can develop and fit their new systems.
Report: Panthers not sold on taking defensive lineman with first pick

With the NFL pressing pause for the week, perhaps the start of NFL Draft’s silly season can begin a little early.

We are six weeks away from finding out who the Panthers will draft No. 1 overall, and we’re bound to hear a lot of reports and rumors about their preference in the meantime. This is a draft without a clear top pick, which will only increase the speculation.

One theory taking hold of late is that Cam Newton has a good chance to go first, despite his erratic effort throwing at the Combine. A report from the Charlotte Observer Saturday helps support the theory.

Joseph Person credits two sources that say the Panthers are “not sold” on taking a defensive lineman No. 1 overall. They are expected to take “long looks” at Newton and Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert.

That shouldn’t come as a surprise. Teams drafting near No. 1 certainly haven’t set their board yet, and the draft’s best defensive linemen aren’t seen as “can’t miss” guys. Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley could seemingly go anywhere in the top ten. Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers will have to show he’s healthy at his April 1 Pro Day.

There are five or more players that could conceivably go first overall: LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson and Alabama defensive tackle Marcel Dareus could wind up being in the mix.

There are a lot of people paid to act like they know everything about the draft process. The reality is that no one knows in early March, especially in this muddled draft year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/05/report-panthers-not-sold-on-defensive-linemen/
Originally posted by cozz4:
draftheadquarters.com??? not a reliable source

It's rumors.... it can be from any where.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Yeah they will try but remember a team will have to want to pass on him to do it and move down several spots

If he makes it to past 5, the Bengals dont really need him because they drafted Haden last year, PRIME trading spot for the Browns

You mean the Browns at 6. The Bengals pick 4th overall. The Browns did select Joe Haden last year with their 7th overall.

I have been saying for some time now that the Cowboys will jump the Niners to get to Peterson if he is on the board at 6, and I have no doubt the Browns would be thrilled to move down a few slots to 10, pick up a second or third rounder in the deal, and still have a shot at either AJ Green or Julio Jones, or one of the DL who may slip.

I can see Miller at #5 and then Dallas jumping to #6 for Peterson taking both our top two players on our board, IMO.

That's why Baalke just needs to go get his guy at #4 whoever that is, Peterson or Miller if Dareus and Quinn are also gone.

IDK cause I'm torn between giving up two players to move up or drafting the next tier of players. Damn it man! I want one of these ELITE players at their respective positions. We have needed a pass rusher for so long and now we will have a #1 CB need, too. That's why Peterson or Miller have to be the picks.

I can dream right?

If not, trade down. I also like the idea of drafting Jordan or Watt in the first, Reed in the second along with a new QB toy for Harbaugh.

Three VS two players in the first two rounds is a position I wouldn't mind having. IDK how feasible it will be, but again, it will be exciting to watch.

Peterson
Miller
Dareus
Quinn

I don't want Prince or a 1st RD QB.

What's wrong with Prince. He's a very good corner.

Nothing wrong with him. I just don't want him. You know...like you want Kerrigan even over some other prospects. I would rather trade down for second tier players.

I believe he is at the top of the second tier, IMO. If that is the case, would rather trade down to get that second tier guy who can still start like Kerrigan for example while picking up that extra second.

Sure Amukamara is solid technician and has good speed, but I believe he is close if not at his celling. While Peterson, Miller, Quinn, and Dareus have tremendous upside. Maybe I'm way off in this, but Amukamara's upside is not that great.

I am sure OTC would very much disagree. It is more personal preference than ability on Prince. Something just doesn't seem right. He seems like he's more polished than Haden last year.

I guess I wouldn't be too upset IF we land a pass rusher like Reed in the second.

Do you think he's elite like the others? Just curious.

If Quinn, Peterson, Dareus, and Miller are all off the board, I'd be very happy with selecting Prince. IMO, he's directly behind Peterson as the top corner. He's very fluid, played very physical in college and has good footwork. Deion Sanders said it right that Prince has the physical make up of a Vontae Davis, who is becoming a very good corner in the NFL.

Oh, and Kerrigan was a beast at the combine too

I see Prince as the sort of Patrick Willis of CB's in this years draft, and by that I mean he's clearly the most all around polished player at his position but there's no telling where he can take his game in the NFL with more coaching at the next level.

Some scouts think Amukamara is the next Darelle Revis. That's high praise.

I don't know if I'd talk about him quite in that light just yet, but the guy is a heck of a player. I wouldn't mind us selecting him, but at the same time I think we're likely to have other players higher on the board when we make our pick.

I'm gonna get crap for this but,we should trade with the cowboy's and pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder, there are still plenty of good options for us at 10. Some team will bite on the Cam Newton Bandwagon, this could lead to a rush on QB's allowing for 2 in the top top. We have 7 viable players we need and there is always gonna be at least one surprise. I don't think we would ever pass on Miller, Peterson, or Quinn if they are there at 7, but Prince would be a steal at 10. I see him as the most pro-ready CB in the draft, and between him and Jimmy Smith he is one of the toughest.

If this were all to happen a fantasy scenario is to trade out of 7 to 10 or 11 pick up another 2nd or 3rd, then trade back up into late first early 2nd and grab a Brooks Reed or Ponder who may not fall to us at our 2nd spot. We have new systems on both offense and defense, we need to stockpile picks and get players the coaches can develop and fit their new systems.

Ending up with a 1st 3 picks of say Prince, Ponder and Reed or Prince, Taylor, Reed would make me quite happy.
If Newton has a good pro day tomorrow we will hear more about him going #1
Maybe this won't work out, but think of it as a 24/7 thread of sorts. Talk about what draft scouts are saying about players stock and other stuff

barrows retweeted:
RUSSLANDE After just an average workout at Combine, I graded 4 more games of R. Quinn and will definitely be lowering his grade out of the 1st round. about 1 hour ago via web

who the f**k is russ lande

Wow what a joke!

Quinn is rated as a top 5 player for a reason

He is a former NFL scout. Meaning that his opinion is worth more than most people's who make mock drafts. Scouts often disagree. Some scouts had Alex Smith rated in the 5th round...was that a joke because others had him in the top 10?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Maybe this won't work out, but think of it as a 24/7 thread of sorts. Talk about what draft scouts are saying about players stock and other stuff

barrows retweeted:
RUSSLANDE After just an average workout at Combine, I graded 4 more games of R. Quinn and will definitely be lowering his grade out of the 1st round. about 1 hour ago via web

Wow what a joke!

He is a former NFL scout. Meaning that his opinion is worth more than most people's who make mock drafts. Scouts often disagree. Some scouts had Alex Smith rated in the 5th round...was that a joke because others had him in the top 10?

My problem with dude's comment is that he decided to grade 4 more games after the bad combine showing. Like WTF, you decided not to grade his 4 worst games if he did well at the combine or something? That s**t is stupid. You take all the film into account from the beginning, good and bad IMO.
Lande's a senior analyst who writes for Sporting News. I took issue with his evaluations last year...he's kind of "out there" IMHO. Because he's been doing that kind of analysis for so long, he seems to think he's always right, which we all know is lunacy.

As for Quinn specifically, I watched quite a bit of the combine...and I don't remember one of the many analysts I heard say anything bad about him. In fact, they were lauding his abilities, so, to say Lande's in the distinct minority is the understatement of the year.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

barrows retweeted:

Wow what a joke!

Yea you're right that everyone has their own opinion and that scouts often disagree, but I don't remember any single person on the NFL Network or ESPN say anything negative about Robert Quinn. All I heard was praise. It seems like this former scout was expecting some off the world performance at the combine. He ranked pretty close to the other high profiled ends in the draft.

If Newton has a good pro day tomorrow we will hear more about him going #1

True and once Gabbert has a good pro day the qb duel for the number 1 pick will be hyped up.
I honestly thought Quinn would come in and blow the combine out of the water. Let's face it, he had a year to prepare for it. It wasn't like he was hurt or anything. B/C he didn't, that honestly makes me question his work ethic. Why didn't he blow up like he should have?? He was the freshest guy there. Now don't get me wrong, he didn't look like a slouch either. I don't think i'd drop him out of the 1st rd. b/c his game tape proves he should be a 1st rd pick but I honestly don't want him at #7. If we trade down to the mid to late teens and pick up another pick and take him. I think that would be our best scenario. With that being said I think we need to stay at #7 and take the stud that's sitting there for us. B/C there will be a stud there.

You figure even if a QB doesn't go...
Da'Quan Bowers
Nick Fairley
Patrick Peterson
AJ Green
Von Miller
Marcel Dareus
At the worse will be gone... that leaves us with Prince/Cameron Jordan/Akeem Ayers or Julio Jones (who after the combine I would say is a top 10 pick)
Now, if Buffalo, Arizona, Cincy or Carolina falls for Newton or Gabbert that bumps 1-2 of those "Elite" 6 down to us. My fingers are crossed it's Peterson/Miller or Bowers in that order. I say we stay put at 7. However, I think we need to package some picks or a player or something and get a 2nd pick in the 2nd rd. I think this years 2nd round is loaded with talent.

Ideally in a perfect world...
Buffalo takes Newton or Gabbert at 3. We take Peterson at 7. We trade Lawson or Clements or someone and a pick or two to Buffalo for their 2nd rd pick. (which I believe is 2nd overall) or we trade our extra 4th,6th and 7th rd picks to New England (we know how they love to stock pile picks) and we take the 1st overall spot in the 2nd rd. We draft Christian Ponder which i'm starting to read that a lot of people think he will be the 3rd QB taken overall b/c of how well he'll fit in the WC offense. We need to jump Cincy (3rd pick), Arizona (6th pick), Tennessee (7th pick), Washington (9th pick) and Minnesota (11th pick) to get Ponder. and with our 2nd rd pick we take the best pass rusher available. Whether it be a DL or LB. (Brooks Reed, Sam Acho, Dontay Moch, Marvin Austin, Justin Houston or Bruce Carter)...
Patrick Peterson/Christian Ponder/Brooks Reed in the first 2 rds.
That would start our draft out in a VERY nice way!! What do you think????
  • Otter
  • Veteran
If Peterson, Miller, and Quinn are gone by #7, do you consider Gabbert, if he's there? and do you pull the trigger?
Originally posted by Otter:
If Peterson, Miller, and Quinn are gone by #7, do you consider Gabbert, if he's there? and do you pull the trigger?

You consider him but if that scenario plays out then you go with whoever is at the top of your board at that point. If its Gabbert thats at the top then you take him.

Now we dont even know if the Niners have Gabbert rated as their number 1 QB in this draft so it might not even matter if he was available at 7. there is always the option of trading back too

Damn i want the draft to be here already
Originally posted by Otter:

It depends who is on the board at the time, and how the remaining players answer questions about themselves from their campus workout.

For me, Dareus is a terrific DL prospect, but I'd only look for him if he can sustain his weight at around 315+ pounds, and more importantly, put up more reps of 225. He lifted the bar only 24 times, and that is a concern for a guy built to play the NT position. I believe there is a better 3-4 DE on the board in Watt.

For AJ Green, what do the Niners think about Josh Morgan? If he is a number 3 or 4 for them, then Green has to be seriously considered.

Gabbert simply needs to throw well at the combine. The same goes for Newton. Both are in position to be top 10 picks, but Harbaugh will have to judge whether they can transition well to the NFL.

How much of a priority is it for the Niners to draft a CB right away with the 7th overall, and is Prince good value at the pick?

There are a ton of variables, including the rise of Watt and Jordan. Could they sneak into the top 10 picks.
Share 49ersWebzone