There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

draft rumors and news

Originally posted by valrod33:

Yet another source suggested the NFL still could try to pay the incoming rookies to attend the draft, but it is something the league never has done in the past.

Wait- I thought the NFL did pay for the top players and families to attend.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
There's a new leader in the clubhouse! Last week, we told you of the exploits of Blaine Sumner, the sleeper nose tackle from the Colorado School of Mines who completed 49 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press during his March 8 pro day. That number equaled the amount completed by Stephen Paea, who set the combine record in February. Sumner topped that mark on Monday when he completed 52 reps as a participant in the Air Force pro-day. He actually completed 55 reps, but three were disqualified by scouts in attendance. Besides being an All-Conference defensive tackle, Sumner has marks of 900 pounds in the squat and 425 in the clean. He will be tough to pass up in the late rounds.

Link

Im from Colorado and I didn't even know Colorado School of Mines had a football team. Either way, talk about putting himself on the map!

I didn't know they had a team either.

Go to YouTube and type in "Blaine sumner". You have to watch his highlight reel. It's awesome. He played some MLB and Oline also. He destroys people. His highlight video is 3 mins of him knocking people off their feet.

I would post the link, but I'm on my phone.

Link
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
First reports coming out on Ponder's Pro Day. As expected, he performed well.

Quarterback Christian Ponder had another fine throwing session at Florida State's pro day. Ponder, who has been hampered by injuries since the middle of his junior season, is a sure good bet to be selected in the middle of round two.

SI's Tony Pauline Breakdown of Christian Ponder Pro Day

Technically sound offensive guard/center, Rodney Hudson, had a strong workout as well. He is almost a forgotten player in this draft, but someone who will probably step in and start from Day One.


Not forgotten by everyone. I took him for the Colts in round 2 of our divisional draft. To me he's a perfect fit for their offense, and they need interior line help in a big way.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Yet another source suggested the NFL still could try to pay the incoming rookies to attend the draft, but it is something the league never has done in the past.

Wait- I thought the NFL did pay for the top players and families to attend.

The league pays expenses for the players and their families. But they don't actually PAY the players for coming,

Some have suggested to do so in light of the NFLPA's attempt to stop rookies from coming to the draft. But the NFL rejected the idea.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
First reports coming out on Ponder's Pro Day. As expected, he performed well.

Quarterback Christian Ponder had another fine throwing session at Florida State's pro day. Ponder, who has been hampered by injuries since the middle of his junior season, is a sure good bet to be selected in the middle of round two.

SI's Tony Pauline Breakdown of Christian Ponder Pro Day

Technically sound offensive guard/center, Rodney Hudson, had a strong workout as well. He is almost a forgotten player in this draft, but someone who will probably step in and start from Day One.


Not forgotten by everyone. I took him for the Colts in round 2 of our divisional draft. To me he's a perfect fit for their offense, and they need interior line help in a big way.


Why would the Colts want Ponder when they have the Painter?
  • JDog
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,131
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
There's a new leader in the clubhouse! Last week, we told you of the exploits of Blaine Sumner, the sleeper nose tackle from the Colorado School of Mines who completed 49 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press during his March 8 pro day. That number equaled the amount completed by Stephen Paea, who set the combine record in February. Sumner topped that mark on Monday when he completed 52 reps as a participant in the Air Force pro-day. He actually completed 55 reps, but three were disqualified by scouts in attendance. Besides being an All-Conference defensive tackle, Sumner has marks of 900 pounds in the squat and 425 in the clean. He will be tough to pass up in the late rounds.

Link

Im from Colorado and I didn't even know Colorado School of Mines had a football team. Either way, talk about putting himself on the map!

I didn't know they had a team either.

Go to YouTube and type in "Blaine sumner". You have to watch his highlight reel. It's awesome. He played some MLB and Oline also. He destroys people. His highlight video is 3 mins of him knocking people off their feet.

I would post the link, but I'm on my phone.

Link

Bring on the "Vanilla Gorilla" dude is a beast would love to see this guy against real talent though! A 7th round pick couldn't hurt much.
Originally posted by JDog:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
There's a new leader in the clubhouse! Last week, we told you of the exploits of Blaine Sumner, the sleeper nose tackle from the Colorado School of Mines who completed 49 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press during his March 8 pro day. That number equaled the amount completed by Stephen Paea, who set the combine record in February. Sumner topped that mark on Monday when he completed 52 reps as a participant in the Air Force pro-day. He actually completed 55 reps, but three were disqualified by scouts in attendance. Besides being an All-Conference defensive tackle, Sumner has marks of 900 pounds in the squat and 425 in the clean. He will be tough to pass up in the late rounds.

Link

Im from Colorado and I didn't even know Colorado School of Mines had a football team. Either way, talk about putting himself on the map!

I didn't know they had a team either.

Go to YouTube and type in "Blaine sumner". You have to watch his highlight reel. It's awesome. He played some MLB and Oline also. He destroys people. His highlight video is 3 mins of him knocking people off their feet.

I would post the link, but I'm on my phone.

Link

Bring on the "Vanilla Gorilla" dude is a beast would love to see this guy against real talent though! A 7th round pick couldn't hurt much.

That's what I was thinking too. It'd be interesting to see how a player like Phil Taylor or Jerrell Powe, or even Sione Fua would do against that level of competition. But a late round pick couldn't hurt.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
First reports coming out on Ponder's Pro Day. As expected, he performed well.

Quarterback Christian Ponder had another fine throwing session at Florida State's pro day. Ponder, who has been hampered by injuries since the middle of his junior season, is a sure good bet to be selected in the middle of round two.

SI's Tony Pauline Breakdown of Christian Ponder Pro Day

Technically sound offensive guard/center, Rodney Hudson, had a strong workout as well. He is almost a forgotten player in this draft, but someone who will probably step in and start from Day One.


Not forgotten by everyone. I took him for the Colts in round 2 of our divisional draft. To me he's a perfect fit for their offense, and they need interior line help in a big way.


Why would the Colts want Ponder when they have the Painter?

Peyton is getting old. They'll probably cut him in the off season.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by JDog:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
There's a new leader in the clubhouse! Last week, we told you of the exploits of Blaine Sumner, the sleeper nose tackle from the Colorado School of Mines who completed 49 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press during his March 8 pro day. That number equaled the amount completed by Stephen Paea, who set the combine record in February. Sumner topped that mark on Monday when he completed 52 reps as a participant in the Air Force pro-day. He actually completed 55 reps, but three were disqualified by scouts in attendance. Besides being an All-Conference defensive tackle, Sumner has marks of 900 pounds in the squat and 425 in the clean. He will be tough to pass up in the late rounds.

Link

Im from Colorado and I didn't even know Colorado School of Mines had a football team. Either way, talk about putting himself on the map!

I didn't know they had a team either.

Go to YouTube and type in "Blaine sumner". You have to watch his highlight reel. It's awesome. He played some MLB and Oline also. He destroys people. His highlight video is 3 mins of him knocking people off their feet.

I would post the link, but I'm on my phone.

Link

Bring on the "Vanilla Gorilla" dude is a beast would love to see this guy against real talent though! A 7th round pick couldn't hurt much.

That's what I was thinking too. It'd be interesting to see how a player like Phil Taylor or Jerrell Powe, or even Sione Fua would do against that level of competition. But a late round pick couldn't hurt.

I don't know guys. The dude looks pretty stiff and would probably take years to develop. He looks like a 250 pound dude who has lifted his way up to 335 and isn't naturally large like most of the good NT in pro football like Wilfork. Maybe bringing him to TC as a undrafted rookie would be an idea. His highlights as a player are not that impressive though.
Nebraska RB Roy Helu Jr. is reportedly beginning to draw second- and third-round consideration after a strong Combine performance.
Helu has been a dark horse favorite of Rotoworld's Evan Silva for weeks now. "Helu had the best workout by a runner at the combine," said one GM. "More importantly, he caught the ball well and was really smooth in position drills ... This kid can fly." Helu's college stats don't jump off the page because of the Cornhuskers' committee attack, but his 6.62 YPC, 4.40 forty time, and Combine best 1.50 10-yard split are eye-catching.

rotoworld.com quoting national football post

This is one guy that I think is going to be a good pick at running back.
Florida State QB Christian Ponder "continues to ascend" after showing off "above average arm strength" and "excellent footwork" at the Seminoles' Pro Day, according to NFL Network's Mike Mayock.
Mayock's colleague, Michael Lombardi, indicated that many teams now prefer Ponder to Jake Locker. We assume those are West Coast teams, as Ponder's pass placement and athleticism are considered tailor made for the system. Ponder proved his arm was back to full strength, nailing his selection of deep throws Wednesday. Despite an underwhelming college career, Ponder is now seen as the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

rotoworld.com

He looks like the 4th QB late in the first.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Nebraska RB Roy Helu Jr. is reportedly beginning to draw second- and third-round consideration after a strong Combine performance.
Helu has been a dark horse favorite of Rotoworld's Evan Silva for weeks now. "Helu had the best workout by a runner at the combine," said one GM. "More importantly, he caught the ball well and was really smooth in position drills ... This kid can fly." Helu's college stats don't jump off the page because of the Cornhuskers' committee attack, but his 6.62 YPC, 4.40 forty time, and Combine best 1.50 10-yard split are eye-catching.

rotoworld.com quoting national football post

This is one guy that I think is going to be a good pick at running back.

Possible smokescreen. Helu has most of the fundamentals down that a good NFL running back needs, but I don't think he's a 2nd round, or even 3rd round guy, as he does not posses the core/upper body strength of other runners in this draft (11 reps of 225 compared to the 20-30 reps that virtually every other back was registering), and although he might look good in drills, on the field he doesn't look stronger or faster than the other players, despite his size and speed, and struggles with blocking in particular.

That said, I think the physical tools he has -- especially that speed and agility and hands he has -- make him a solid mid-4th to 5th round pick.
Wonderlic scores

@mortreportQBs prepped more in this era. McElroy 43, Gabbert 42, Ponder 35, Stanzi 30, Dalton 29, Mallett 26, Newton 21, Locker 20. What does it mean?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Nebraska RB Roy Helu Jr. is reportedly beginning to draw second- and third-round consideration after a strong Combine performance.
Helu has been a dark horse favorite of Rotoworld's Evan Silva for weeks now. "Helu had the best workout by a runner at the combine," said one GM. "More importantly, he caught the ball well and was really smooth in position drills ... This kid can fly." Helu's college stats don't jump off the page because of the Cornhuskers' committee attack, but his 6.62 YPC, 4.40 forty time, and Combine best 1.50 10-yard split are eye-catching.

rotoworld.com quoting national football post

This is one guy that I think is going to be a good pick at running back.

Possible smokescreen. Helu has most of the fundamentals down that a good NFL running back needs, but I don't think he's a 2nd round, or even 3rd round guy, as he does not posses the core/upper body strength of other runners in this draft (11 reps of 225 compared to the 20-30 reps that virtually every other back was registering), and although he might look good in drills, on the field he doesn't look stronger or faster than the other players, despite his size and speed, and struggles with blocking in particular.

That said, I think the physical tools he has -- especially that speed and agility and hands he has -- make him a solid mid-4th to 5th round pick.

I am going to part ways with you on Helu. I see him as a late 3rd rounder, due to his forty time at the combine, and size/speed ratio. Helu is one of the unique RB's in this draft who are able to break big runs. He has the explosiveness that a lot of teams will look for in a rotational backfield.

I would say that Helu is a 15 carry/game back.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Wonderlic scores

@mortreportQBs prepped more in this era. McElroy 43, Gabbert 42, Ponder 35, Stanzi 30, Dalton 29, Mallett 26, Newton 21, Locker 20. What does it mean?

It means University of Alabama is top notch and University of Washington has bad teachers, LOL

gives a crap about wonderlic scores, this is football
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home