There are 200 users in the forums

draft rumors and news

mattbarrows

Niners did not attend Delaware QB Pat Devlin's pro day. Packers, Eagles, Bengals among 15 teams on hand; Cincy seemed esp. interested ...
Delaware QB Pat Devlin reportedly had a miserable Pro Day Tuesday, so bad it could cost him a spot in the draft altogether.
Devlin has strung together one of the worst offseasons of any draft-eligible quarterback, completing 2-of-7 passes for 22 yards and a pick in January's East-West Shrine Game before Tuesday's display. The Penn State transfer showed up 30 minutes late to his Pro Day, and his passing drills were littered with under- and over-throws. FCS scouting guru Josh Buchanan believes Devlin may off draft boards after the brutal performance.

rotoworld.com

30 minutes late to a pro day?
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Delaware QB Pat Devlin reportedly had a miserable Pro Day Tuesday, so bad it could cost him a spot in the draft altogether.
Devlin has strung together one of the worst offseasons of any draft-eligible quarterback, completing 2-of-7 passes for 22 yards and a pick in January's East-West Shrine Game before Tuesday's display. The Penn State transfer showed up 30 minutes late to his Pro Day, and his passing drills were littered with under- and over-throws. FCS scouting guru Josh Buchanan believes Devlin may off draft boards after the brutal performance.

rotoworld.com

Maybe his lateness rattled him? I still doubt he falls too far. 5th round at the worst for Devlin, and that would be about right. He has a lot of issues to correct, but he can throw the football very, very well.

rotoworld.com

he'll never be able to live that down, thats a bad rep

rotoworld.com

Said it months ago. He's not a draft-worthy player. Still think he's better than Stanzi, MD?
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

rotoworld.com

Said it months ago. He's not a draft-worthy player. Still think he's better than Stanzi, MD?

Still waiting for more evaluations on Devlin before making some sort of judgment. On "The Path to the Draft", Mike Mayock was at the workout and reported to the guys at the studio that Devlin had a solid workout, and threw the ball well. So, we have guys who observed two different things, and we will have to wait until a consensus is formed on his day. It may go either way.

As for grading Devlin and Stanzi, I have both way down the board in my evaluation of QB's, with Stanzi at number 7 and Devlin at number 8. So, to answer your question, I have Stanzi graded higher right now. We will have to wait until all the reports come out on Devlin and see how Stanzi works out this week to get a fuller and final grade.

I have a feeling someone might be very interested. Who might that be?

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 15, 2011 at 19:51:16 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by valrod33:
WesBunting

Talked with a scout earlier who said don't be shocked if Von Miller or Patrick Peterson go first overall, no real baggage attached #NFLDRAFT

They are the safest players in the draft. I still think Gabbert will throw very well in 48 hours and be the horse to beat for the Panthers' pick. It seems like nobody likes Clausen in the organization.

Carolina is solid at LB

And, drafting a 4-3 OLB at number one makes zero sense. They'd be better off staying in the 3-4.

My thoughts exactly. I'd laugh my ass off if they did that but I just don't see them doing that. IMO they'll go one of these 5 guys Newton, Gabbert, Fairley, Dareus or Peterson.

I think as niner fans we have to hope Carolina goes with Newton.

Also hope for Bowers to get healthy in time to have a good pro day.

Those 2 qbs + Bowers, Fairley going off the board in the top 6 would put us in great position since we'd have a chance at either Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson or Von Miller.
Originally posted by genus49:
WesBunting

Talked with a scout earlier who said don't be shocked if Von Miller or Patrick Peterson go first overall, no real baggage attached #NFLDRAFT

They are the safest players in the draft. I still think Gabbert will throw very well in 48 hours and be the horse to beat for the Panthers' pick. It seems like nobody likes Clausen in the organization.

Carolina is solid at LB

And, drafting a 4-3 OLB at number one makes zero sense. They'd be better off staying in the 3-4.

My thoughts exactly. I'd laugh my ass off if they did that but I just don't see them doing that. IMO they'll go one of these 5 guys Newton, Gabbert, Fairley, Dareus or Peterson.

Those 2 qbs + Bowers, Fairley going off the board in the top 6 would put us in great position since we'd have a chance at either Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson or Von Miller.

Unless we're in position for Peterson, I think we should attempt to trade down to the 10-12 range (but no further).
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I know this isn't rumors or news, but Matt Barrows' most recent mock has us selecting Patrick Peterson with our pick (over Von Miller who was still on the board, which I'm fine with). Barrows' also has up trading back into the end of the 1st round to select Colin Kaepernick
Barrows is a moron to me when it comes to mocks. He has Carolina trading back into the 1st to draft Ponder ahead of us. The thing is, Carolina has no 2nd Rd. pick. Therefore they'd have to give up almost their entire draft to move up, or give away next years 1st and some other picks. I don't see them doing that. If we trade up in the 1st, I see us going for Ponder.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by genus49:
WesBunting

Carolina is solid at LB

Unless we're in position for Peterson, I think we should attempt to trade down to the 10-12 range (but no further).

I can see a strong argument for that case, especially if:
1) We feel that Amakamura is not good value at 7, and we still see him on the board at 12.
2) We see a solid DE prospect like Cam Jordan or JJ Watt on the board in that area, but once again feel that number seven is a reach for either of these players.
3) We fall in love with a guy thought to be lower on the board in the first round, but one we absolutely have to grab, even though it may still be a reach at 12.

The tough part is always trying to find a trade partner who wants to move up. The Vikes could be that partner if one of the QB's is still on the board at that point, and they see Tennessee or Washington salivating.

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I know this isn't rumors or news, but Matt Barrows' most recent mock has us selecting Patrick Peterson with our pick (over Von Miller who was still on the board, which I'm fine with). Barrows' also has up trading back into the end of the 1st round to select Colin Kaepernick
Barrows is a moron to me when it comes to mocks. He has Carolina trading back into the 1st to draft Ponder ahead of us. The thing is, Carolina has no 2nd Rd. pick. Therefore they'd have to give up almost their entire draft to move up, or give away next years 1st and some other picks. I don't see them doing that. If we trade up in the 1st, I see us going for Ponder.

Unless we grab a corner at 7, or in some sort of first round trade down, I can't see the team doing anything but CB in the second. The cap number on Clements is very high, and I see an almost guaranteed parting once the CBA is done. The ugly nature of the lockout is that teams are going to have to draft for need since there is no guarantee a starting free agent CB will want to sign with the team once the CBA impasse is bridged.

If the Niners trade up for a QB, to me, the better chance is using their third rounder and other compensation to jump back into the second round again.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 16, 2011 at 05:51:33 ]
Wanted to give an update on Devlin's workout from the words of Mike Mayock, who was present:
"Every once in a while you can see the ball come out kind of funny," said Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's draft chief who attended the workout. "To me, it's usually an indication of a spread quarterback whose footwork hasn't caught up with his arm work yet."
But, Mayock added, Devlin's workout at the school complex showed his improvement since the end of Delaware's season.
"(Tuesday) was kind of an important day for him," Mayock said, "and I thought as the workout went on and he got more and more of a comfort level -- both with his throws and his receivers -- I thought what he showed was more than enough arm strength to compete at the next level. And I thought the big thing was that his accuracy improved as the day went on also."

Not the kind of flowing praise that was given to Newton and Dalton in their Pro-Day workouts, but maybe not quite the nightmare stated on Rotoworld.

QB's should ace these workouts. I expect the next batch of QB's to throw very well at their Pro-Days, including Ponder today and Gabbert tomorrow. It is a controlled environment (unless the wind is howling), they have familiar receivers to throw at, and it has been scripted and rehearsed.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 16, 2011 at 06:04:04 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 16, 2011 at 06:49:25 ]
Wanted to give an update on Devlin's workout from the words of Mike Mayock, who was present:
"Every once in a while you can see the ball come out kind of funny," said Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's draft chief who attended the workout. "To me, it's usually an indication of a spread quarterback whose footwork hasn't caught up with his arm work yet."
But, Mayock added, Devlin's workout at the school complex showed his improvement since the end of Delaware's season.
"(Tuesday) was kind of an important day for him," Mayock said, "and I thought as the workout went on and he got more and more of a comfort level -- both with his throws and his receivers -- I thought what he showed was more than enough arm strength to compete at the next level. And I thought the big thing was that his accuracy improved as the day went on also."

Not the kind of flowing praise that was given to Newton and Dalton in their Pro-Day workouts, but maybe not quite the nightmare stated on Rotoworld.

QB's should ace these workouts. I expect the next batch of QB's to throw very well at their Pro-Days, including Ponder today and Gabbert tomorrow. It is a controlled environment (unless the wind is howling), they have familiar receivers to throw at, and it has been scripted and rehearsed.

I read rotoworld and they made it seem like the guy just fell flat on his face. But I was never high on Devlin and if the guy can't even have an impressive pro day then that's a bad sign of things to come.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I read rotoworld and they made it seem like the guy just fell flat on his face. But I was never high on Devlin and if the guy can't even have an impressive pro day then that's a bad sign of things to come.

The initial reaction everyone had was based on the Rotoworld article, which may be accurate. Then, I was surprised to head Mike Mayock contradict the article shortly afterwards on Path to the Draft. Probably need a third source to make a better judgment on how he performed.

Usually Pro-day workouts tend to be impressive or unimpressive, and rarely have such differing opinions.

In the end, QB Pro-Day workouts should be a success in this structured, rehearsed, friendly environment.
Share 49ersWebzone