There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Point Blank: would you draft QB Locker in the third?

Point Blank: would you draft QB Locker in the third?

Saying that these QB's are already off the board:

Newton
Gabbert
Kaepernick
Ponder
Stanzi
Mallet
Dalton
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would draft him in the second.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yes, I would draft him in the 3rd.
Originally posted by fryet:

This. He has a lot of talent. His footwork has been the cause for a lot of his accuracy issues. I feel like Harbaugh would get the best out of him and he could perhaps become a good quarterback...perhaps.
He won't be there in the 3rd, but if all those other guys are gone and he is still there, then absolutely. I can't imagine the Niners hit round 4 without having drafted one of the QBs you've listed.
I would take Locker (and I'm not a Locker guy at all), or ANY of those guys in the 3rd.

If we locked up a CB and pass rusher with the first two picks, and one of those QBs was there in the 3rd (some obviously won't be), and Harbaugh thought he could work with him, I'd be fine with any of them and trust Harbaugh's QB evaluation skills.

Frankly, that's kind of what I'm hoping we do. Find a QB in the 3rd, or even the 4th, who slips, or isn't as highly regarded, but the Harbaugh thinks highly of and feels he can mold into a successful NFL QB.
I really think Harbaugh will take a chance on him
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Find a QB in the 3rd, or even the 4th, who slips, or isn't as highly regarded, but the Harbaugh thinks highly of and feels he can mold into a successful NFL QB.

With all the teams with a QB need, I would be surprised if any of these guys lasted past the middle of the 3rd. If there's a guy we're targeting, I can see us being aggressive to move up and get him.
Cant teach accuracy
Originally posted by jreff22:
Cant teach accuracy

Not sure I agree with that. Saw Locker on NFL network from Combine yesterday, talking with Mayock about how his baseball background gave him a tendency to make a long stride as he threw and that he's trying to change that. He's been accurate on the move, so it's not a hand-eye thing, but more footwork related. He was impressive speaking candidly. I'd take him in the 2nd.
Originally posted by rivercity:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Cant teach accuracy

Not sure I agree with that. Saw Locker on NFL network from Combine yesterday, talking with Mayock about how his baseball background gave him a tendency to make a long stride as he threw and that he's trying to change that. He's been accurate on the move, so it's not a hand-eye thing, but more footwork related. He was impressive speaking candidly. I'd take him in the 2nd.

I'm glad Mayock brought this up. Actually, seeing as I like the guy and would love the 9ers to draft him in the second, I guess I'm not so glad am I.

Being a former baseball player and pitcher, I noticed the issue with his footwork (with him tending to overstride) watching his extended highlight videos on youtube.
I think your point about him being so accurate on the run (running both to his right AND to his left) meaning that it is probably more of a footwork issue are bang on.
The major question is can he rectify that through repetitions? Because if he continues to play baseball, it might be something that continues to pop up.
Originally posted by gravelburn:
Find a QB in the 3rd, or even the 4th, who slips, or isn't as highly regarded, but the Harbaugh thinks highly of and feels he can mold into a successful NFL QB.

With all the teams with a QB need, I would be surprised if any of these guys lasted past the middle of the 3rd. If there's a guy we're targeting, I can see us being aggressive to move up and get him.

History disagrees. The average number of QBs taken in the first round over the past 11 drafts is 2-3. About the same number in the second. So the odds of more than 5-6 teams taking QBs in rounds 1-2 are low.

Someone always slips. No matter the perception of how many teams "have" to draft a QB early, if teams stay true to their draft boards and don't reach, and/or if it's not a very good/deep QB class, that many QBs just don't tend to get taken early.

There are 8-10 QBs people are talking about as legit prospects who COULD be 2nd rounds. At lest 3-4 of them will be drafted in the 3rd round or later because their stock will slide between now and draft day and/or they will just slide (ala Colt McCoy) when the draft comes, regardless of where they were "rated".

It always happens.
Originally posted by fryet:
this

History disagrees. The average number of QBs taken in the first round over the past 11 drafts is 2-3. About the same number in the second. So the odds of more than 5-6 teams taking QBs in rounds 1-2 are low.

Someone always slips. No matter the perception of how many teams "have" to draft a QB early, if teams stay true to their draft boards and don't reach, and/or if it's not a very good/deep QB class, that many QBs just don't tend to get taken early.

There are 8-10 QBs people are talking about as legit prospects who COULD be 2nd rounds. At lest 3-4 of them will be drafted in the 3rd round or later because their stock will slide between now and draft day and/or they will just slide (ala Colt McCoy) when the draft comes, regardless of where they were "rated".

It always happens.

OK, possibly 1 of these guys slips into the 4th. But considering Harbaugh's alleged sense of QBs, I doubt that guy will be one he's targeting, unless Harbaugh is SO good he sees things none of the other GMs and HCs see.

In this draft, I'd question whether we would WANT the guy who slips that far. I still think we will be aggressive to get the guy we target and not wait around until the 4th to see who's left. Harbaugh might be good at developing QBs, but certainly some QBs will have more development potential than others, and we'll aggressively go after the one he likes best.

It always happens.

OK, possibly 1 of these guys slips into the 4th. But considering Harbaugh's alleged sense of QBs, I doubt that guy will be one he's targeting, unless Harbaugh is SO good he sees things none of the other GMs and HCs see.

In this draft, I'd question whether we would WANT the guy who slips that far. I still think we will be aggressive to get the guy we target and not wait around until the 4th to see who's left. Harbaugh might be good at developing QBs, but certainly some QBs will have more development potential than others, and we'll aggressively go after the one he likes best.

I agree it depends on what he sees, who he likes, and how the draft falls. But it could easily be a 3rd rounder, and maybe even later. From what we've heard, he was dead on in his analysis when he was with the Raiders, calling Carr (who went first overall) a 6th round pick and Romo (who went undrafted) he gave a second round ranking.

I could certainly see him liking a guy who has a consensus "value" of a lower round, and waiting until later in the draft to snag him. And using at least the first two picks on higher level talents at other positions who definitely won't be there later.