LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

CBs vs Pass Rushers

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I want either a stud DE that we can pair with Justin Smith or an OLB that can pressure QBs.

Our DBs would look good if there was havoc in the backfield more often.

By this logic, Prince should be below Quinn, Miller, and Darius on boards. So far, no one has made an argument for why we should draft Prince over these guys. I know there are many of you out there.
Originally posted by rayn36:
I want either a stud DE that we can pair with Justin Smith or an OLB that can pressure QBs.

By this logic, Prince should be below Quinn, Miller, and Darius on boards. So far, no one has made an argument for why we should draft Prince over these guys. I know there are many of you out there.

Prince is not a first choice, you want to debate ask about Peterson
Great pass rushers make the difference between good and great defenses (eg. Fred Dean, LT, etc). Yet the Falcons were not good even with Dion Sanders in his prime. Teams can easily throw away from that one great CB, so that great CB only neutralizes ONE player (one WR). However, teams must double team a great pass rusher, so he uses up TWO players which opens up other weaknesses.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Personally, I think Peterson is on a different level as the 4 others I mentioned. I do not think he is as technically sound as Prince but will still be a much better playmaker because of his superior size, athleticism, ball skills, and range. And Peterson has no questions marks whereas the 3 DE/OLBs do.

If we were to add Peterson to the convo, how much do people's opinions change?

Personally, I think Peterson is on a different level as the 4 others I mentioned. I do not think he is as technically sound as Prince but will still be a much better playmaker because of his superior size, athleticism, ball skills, and range. And Peterson has no questions marks whereas the 3 DE/OLBs do.

If we were to add Peterson to the convo, how much do people's opinions change?

a lot

We wouldn't be starting Peterson, we would be unleashing him.
This debate is probably going to change after the combine. If Prince posts an impressive 40 time, he will be a possible 1st choice for the 9ers. Similarly, if V. Miller stinks it up at the combine, the same will occur. The combine is the monkey wrench.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
IMO, with the way the game is played today, you can get away with having less-than-great talent at CB, if you have a great pass rush (see the Steelers, Packers and Ravens). However, you can have HOF talent at CB, but if you can't generate a strong, consistent pass rush, those CBs will eventually get burned.

Agree. Plus, Miller is considered the best pure pass rusher, Prince isn't the best corner, many would tell you that Peterson is better. This being the case, we take the best available player, which would be Miller.

Agree...if Miller is there you take him. However, I have a feeling Miller will be gone before pick number 7....so....if the choice was between Prince and Cameron Jordan, who would you take?
I'd take Jordan...because he would be a stud pass rusher on the DL for years and because you can get decent CBs in the mid rounds. In the Niners' case, they could get one in the second and one in the fourth. Get the QB in the third.

[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 28, 2011 at 18:33:34 ]
IMO, with the way the game is played today, you can get away with having less-than-great talent at CB, if you have a great pass rush (see the Steelers, Packers and Ravens). However, you can have HOF talent at CB, but if you can't generate a strong, consistent pass rush, those CBs will eventually get burned.

Agree. Plus, Miller is considered the best pure pass rusher, Prince isn't the best corner, many would tell you that Peterson is better. This being the case, we take the best available player, which would be Miller.

if Peterson was available?

If he is, you take him.... Many believe he is the best player in the entire draft....which is why he will be gone by pick 7...
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

If he is, you take him.... Many believe he is the best player in the entire draft....which is why he will be gone by pick 7...

I remember last year people kept coming up with insane scenarios with how Eric Berry could fall to the Niners. I think the same "wishful thinkers" are at it again this year.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I remember last year people kept coming up with insane scenarios with how Eric Berry could fall to the Niners. I think the same "wishful thinkers" are at it again this year.

unlike eric beryy peterson can acually fall only reason is cause all 6 teams dont need a CB

again he probally wont fall but its possible

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

You say that, but most people didn't think Crabtree would fall to us either. You never know what will happen in the draft.

I'm starting to buy into that logic.... The Niners defense would be upgraded tremendously if they had a stud pass rusher....and they can still get a fine CB prospect in the second round. By then, the stud pass rushers will probably be gone.

Stud pass rushers do not grow on trees. Both Indy (Dwight Freeney) and Dallas (DeMarcus Ware) were criticized at the time for drafting these guys too high....but both teams knew how important stud pass rushers are...so they pulled the trigger...and both teams were right to do so...

I'm starting to buy into that logic.... The Niners defense would be upgraded tremendously if they had a stud pass rusher....and they can still get a fine CB prospect in the second round. By then, the stud pass rushers will probably be gone.

Stud pass rushers do not grow on trees. Both Indy (Dwight Freeney) and Dallas (DeMarcus Ware) were criticized at the time for drafting these guys too high....but both teams knew how important stud pass rushers are...so they pulled the trigger...and both teams were right to do so...

its very rare for shutdown corners to be found outside the first round hpwever u can find a lot of elite pass rushers especially OLB outside first round

If I can add:

Even if your franchise CB doesn't get burned, your second and third CB will if the QB is given too much time.
A great defensive scheme will do a defense wonders also.
Share 49ersWebzone