LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

CBs vs Pass Rushers

Here is one thing that I have been thinking about a lot recently: CB is one of the positions that the sum is greater than its parts. In other words, you do not get the full effect without a complementary CB. So if we had 1 great CB and 1 great pass rusher, then the 2nd CB would have a far greater impact than a 2nd pass rusher.

I have been studying the top defenses (i.e. Ravens vs Steelers vs Jets vs SB Giants and SB Bucs) very closely and have been trying to fine tune a theory on this. I welcome any input on this.
Prince Amukamara vs Von Miller
Originally posted by 80849er4life:

The main reason for this debate (+ Quinn).
Great pass rusher OLB is more valuable than a great CB
Originally posted by rayn36:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:

The main reason for this debate (+ Quinn).

Jimmy Smith vs Robert Quinn
IMO, with the way the game is played today, you can get away with having less-than-great talent at CB, if you have a great pass rush (see the Steelers, Packers and Ravens). However, you can have HOF talent at CB, but if you can't generate a strong, consistent pass rush, those CBs will eventually get burned.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
IMO, with the way the game is played today, you can get away with having less-than-great talent at CB, if you have a great pass rush (see the Steelers, Packers and Ravens). However, you can have HOF talent at CB, but if you can't generate a strong, consistent pass rush, those CBs will eventually get burned.
this

thread can be closed.

Agree. Plus, Miller is considered the best pure pass rusher, Prince isn't the best corner, many would tell you that Peterson is better. This being the case, we take the best available player, which would be Miller.

The game has changed dramatically. More teams are using 3 and 4+ receiver sets (WR and TE) in their passing games. Therefore, 1 great CB means less than it used to. But with a complementary CB, you can greatly solidify your coverage. We have seen this with Champ in Denver. But we have seen the similar results with Mario Williams in Houston and their atrocious pass def. Hypothetically, if Denver kept Champ and drafted Peterson/Prince and Houston drafted Quinn/Miller, which team would make a bigger leap?

I agree. It's the pass rush. Even Nate Clements would look better with a pass rush. Especially if he stops jumping so many routes...

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Agree. Plus, Miller is considered the best pure pass rusher, Prince isn't the best corner, many would tell you that Peterson is better. This being the case, we take the best available player, which would be Miller.

if Peterson was available?
I understand the importance of having a Revis-type CB. I also know just how much Matthews did for GB CBs. In fact, Tramon Williams was a UDFA and this year is now the best cover corner? Case closed.

C'mon now!
I want to hear some arguments from the people who want Prince over Quinn/Miller...
I want either a stud DE that we can pair with Justin Smith or an OLB that can pressure QBs.

Our DBs would look good if there was havoc in the backfield more often.

Well, I wouldn't say that the Packers have average talent at CB.

But your point is definitely well taken.
Share 49ersWebzone