Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Look out for this guy, he maybe our pick.

MM Blog:
Quote:
Andy Dalton, Texas Christian
Height: 6020
Weight: 213

His size was considered an issue when Dalton arrived at the Senior Bowl. And while he certainly does not strike an imposing figure, he was only slightly shorter than Jake Locker and Florida State's Christian Ponder and bigger than Alabama's Greg McElroy.

"That's one thing that was good to come in and be around everybody," Dalton said. "You see that these guys aren't so much bigger. It's just fun to be out here."

Dalton is considered a tremendous leader, as he guided the Horned Frogs to an undefeated season and a No. 3 ranking. He threw for 219 yards and a touchdown and also ran for a touchdown in a 21-19 victory over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

[REWIND: Dalton leads TCU over Wisconsin in Rose Bowl]

Thriving in a short-passing game, Dalton must prove he has the arm to make NFL-type throws. He would appear to be a fit for Harbaugh's West Coast system.

"To be in that style of offense would be a lot of fun to play in with coach Harbaugh," Dalton said. "I think he was a great hire and it'll be fun to see what he does.

"We actually played Stanford twice when I was at TCU, so I have an understanding of what they've done, and watching games on TV this year to see how productive they were."

But Dalton does not want to be typecast for only one NFL system. He said he believes he can play in any NFL scheme

Don't think he will be there in the 2nd when we pick, here are the teams that pick ahead of us in the 2nd that could use a QB.

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota

IDK, Think we may try trading up for him. I think he'd be a good pick, especially if he can sit behind a vet for a year or two.

if one of those teams wants him its going to be hard to trade, they are at the top of the 2nd.

Trade up with one of the final four teams. 29-32 Slots in the 1st rd.

don't like that idea

Why not?

would rather trade back and gain picks if that's the plan, but I dont think we get him....if Cinci passes on a Qb first I think they take this kid in the 2nd. From one ginger to another the torch shall pass

Any of those teams that ninerfan mentioned can go Qb in the 2nd. That's why we need to get ahead of them.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Look out for this guy, he maybe our pick.

MM Blog:
Quote:
Andy Dalton, Texas Christian
Height: 6020
Weight: 213

His size was considered an issue when Dalton arrived at the Senior Bowl. And while he certainly does not strike an imposing figure, he was only slightly shorter than Jake Locker and Florida State's Christian Ponder and bigger than Alabama's Greg McElroy.

"That's one thing that was good to come in and be around everybody," Dalton said. "You see that these guys aren't so much bigger. It's just fun to be out here."

Dalton is considered a tremendous leader, as he guided the Horned Frogs to an undefeated season and a No. 3 ranking. He threw for 219 yards and a touchdown and also ran for a touchdown in a 21-19 victory over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

[REWIND: Dalton leads TCU over Wisconsin in Rose Bowl]

Thriving in a short-passing game, Dalton must prove he has the arm to make NFL-type throws. He would appear to be a fit for Harbaugh's West Coast system.

"To be in that style of offense would be a lot of fun to play in with coach Harbaugh," Dalton said. "I think he was a great hire and it'll be fun to see what he does.

"We actually played Stanford twice when I was at TCU, so I have an understanding of what they've done, and watching games on TV this year to see how productive they were."

But Dalton does not want to be typecast for only one NFL system. He said he believes he can play in any NFL scheme

Don't think he will be there in the 2nd when we pick, here are the teams that pick ahead of us in the 2nd that could use a QB.

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota

IDK, Think we may try trading up for him. I think he'd be a good pick, especially if he can sit behind a vet for a year or two.

if one of those teams wants him its going to be hard to trade, they are at the top of the 2nd.

Trade up with one of the final four teams. 29-32 Slots in the 1st rd.

don't like that idea

Why not?

would rather trade back and gain picks if that's the plan, but I dont think we get him....if Cinci passes on a Qb first I think they take this kid in the 2nd. From one ginger to another the torch shall pass

Any of those teams that ninerfan mentioned can go Qb in the 2nd. That's why we need to get ahead of them.

I mentioned

NE and Buffalo are picks 1 and 2 in the top of the 2nd....could happen. But Buffalo needs play makers
Listened to Sirius NFL radio today with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan and Jim Miller was on raving about Andy Dalton. Said he can make all the throws and is really a good leader. They went on to talk about how Christian Ponder has some troubling mechanical problems that could cause injury. Didn't seem impressed by too many other guys out there from what I could tell.
I was wondering about this:

How can teams like washington and minn have picks ahead of us in the 2nd round?

If we pick ahead of them in the 1st, isn't that the set order, unless trades were made?
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I was wondering about this:

How can teams like washington and minn have picks ahead of us in the 2nd round?

If we pick ahead of them in the 1st, isn't that the set order, unless trades were made?

Teams that tied have the original order set my tie breakers, most commonly the strength of schedule, but in every round after that they advance until 1st and then drop back to the last.......I believe. I also believe we are 1st to pick of those teams we tied in record so we drop to the last right away.

Thats not real clear after reading it, but there it is.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:13 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Does the fact he will be 24 during his rookie season worry anyone if the plan is for him to sit a few year.
I thought Ponder and McElroy looked good. Dalton was a little shaky on one play but he looked pretty good also IMO.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Does the fact he will be 24 during his rookie season worry anyone if the plan is for him to sit a few year.

It shouldn't be. Most Senior QBs are 22 or 23 during the college season or when they are drafted because they redshirt their first year. Most Junior QBs that come out are 21 or 22. Alex was the exception at 20 when he was drafted, but 21 during TC.

And a lot of people believe the prime years for a QB are around 26-33.
Dalton is one of only 2 Qb's I want the niners to get out this years draft... Dalton I give thumbs up
Didn't know much about Dalton until zone posters began writing about him. I did some research and found some really great scouting reports on his strengths and they seem to match the WCO needs. Particularly like the fact that he has a very quick release and sees the field. Sounds familiar...like a flashback!

I know--don't get excited but, why not? It's the offseason!
Originally posted by Jcool:

I didn't know that. Very good point. And know one can say it isn't b'cause he will be on the bench a couple years before he would take the helm, that is a knock on him. I still think he's talented
More insight from McShay best players so far:

South: TCU QB Andy Dalton
The more you watch him, the more you see him do all the little things that are so important to the quarterback position. He doesn't have the big size, strong arm or great athleticism, but he's doing a really good job. He's a sponge. He's always around the QB coaches or offensive coaches, always asking questions, always talking, always engaged. He's never standing off on his own. He's leading everything. His ball is not pretty -- it flutters sometimes -- but he's got adequate arm stregth and probably the third-strongest arm of the QBs here. He can make the deep throws and he does the other little things right, so he has a good enough arm. He missed two times, throwing high on a couple of inside routes, but he was the most accurate QB from beginning to end.

He flying up the boards as I type. I am now hearing second rounder for him and maybe even the end of the first. WTH!!!
I'm calling it now!!!

Cinci will draft AJ to replace Chad and Andy to replace Carson.
I'd much prefer a guy like Dalton over a guy like Locker, purely because the WCO places such an emphasis on accuracy. Walsh always said he looked for 2 things in QBs - accuracy and intelligence. Dalton appears to have both.
Originally posted by nipplehead:
I'd much prefer a guy like Dalton over a guy like Locker, purely because the WCO places such an emphasis on accuracy. Walsh always said he looked for 2 things in QBs - accuracy and intelligence. Dalton appears to have both.

and footwork?

how is dalton's footwork. i have not watched enough of him to notice any bad footwork.