There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TCU's QB Andy Dalton

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
TCU’s Andy Dalton does not possess the upside of some of the other QB’s in the draft, but his leadership and consistency have value in their own right. While he too will need some work adjusting to a pro style attack, Dalton shows the leadership skills and accuracy to be a backup QB in the NFL. He has a decent arm and does just enough with his feet to make the play. He may not be the type of guy you take and hope in two or three years becomes a starter, but he’s the type who could be a backup for a long time in the NFL.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/prospects/qb.html

I wouldn't put much, if any stock in that. I think that's the worst case scenario for Dalton.

Quote:
On Dalton: McShay has concerns about his size (6-foot-1) and ability to throw consistently in the "intermediate and vertical" areas of the field. But, he believes Dalton is worthy of a third or fourth-round pick because he could be brought along on the cheap and turned into a solid backup or even an adequate starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/37438/andy-dalton-and-his-draft-status

We'll see what the weigh-in turns out like. He should measure in at least around 6-1 1/2" and that's really not a big deal. I mean, a half an inch to an inch difference between other pro QBs? How will that make him be able to throw any better.

The argument for "seeing throwing lanes, or receivers" loses weight when the height discrepancy is so small. 2+ Inches, okay, but less than that, not so much.

Ever since Brees started lighting up the NFL with his 4,000 yard seasons, I don't put much stock in a QB's height. As long as he can pass the damn ball like Brees, I could careless.

As far as I know, there are a lot of 6'4" tall QB's who can't pass for squat in the NFL.

As long as he can hit the short to intermediate throws that keep drives alive, makes smart decisions, and can escape a free rusher, I'm sold.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
TCU’s Andy Dalton does not possess the upside of some of the other QB’s in the draft, but his leadership and consistency have value in their own right. While he too will need some work adjusting to a pro style attack, Dalton shows the leadership skills and accuracy to be a backup QB in the NFL. He has a decent arm and does just enough with his feet to make the play. He may not be the type of guy you take and hope in two or three years becomes a starter, but he’s the type who could be a backup for a long time in the NFL.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/prospects/qb.html

I wouldn't put much, if any stock in that. I think that's the worst case scenario for Dalton.

Quote:
On Dalton: McShay has concerns about his size (6-foot-1) and ability to throw consistently in the "intermediate and vertical" areas of the field. But, he believes Dalton is worthy of a third or fourth-round pick because he could be brought along on the cheap and turned into a solid backup or even an adequate starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/37438/andy-dalton-and-his-draft-status

We'll see what the weigh-in turns out like. He should measure in at least around 6-1 1/2" and that's really not a big deal. I mean, a half an inch to an inch difference between other pro QBs? How will that make him be able to throw any better.

The argument for "seeing throwing lanes, or receivers" loses weight when the height discrepancy is so small. 2+ Inches, okay, but less than that, not so much.

Ever since Brees started lighting up the NFL with his 4,000 yard seasons, I don't put much stock in a QB's height. As long as he can pass the damn ball like Brees, I could careless.

As far as I know, there are a lot of 6'4" tall QB's who can't pass for squat in the NFL.

If you are a "short" QB, i.e. under 6'1", footwork will be the key. Being able to move slightly to the right or left to create those throwing lanes, but still have your feet set to throw. Brees does it all the time.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,220
Quote:
The other senior quarterback who most intrigues Mayock is TCU's Andy Dalton. Mayock first got an up-close look at Dalton last summer while working with the quarterbacks at Peyton and Eli Manning's annual passing camp, in Thibodaux, La. Dalton, who led the 13-0 Horned Frogs to a Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin, will be one of the draft's fastest risers this spring, predicts Mayock.

"The kid jumped out at me last summer,'' Mayock said. "I told friends of mine in the NFL, he's going to surprise people as a senior. He's at least a second-round quarterback. I think he's got a bigger arm than people thought, with a better physical skill set, and he's certainly won a lot of football games in college. The longer I do this, at the quarterback position, once you get past certain measurables like arm strength and size, the most important thing to me is the football work ethic and the football intelligence.

"Those are hugely important, because those are the kind of guys who end up winning games for you, and they're the type of guys who can take their game to a whole other level in the NFL. That's why I was so high on Matt Ryan three years ago, because of his football IQ and his work ethic. And it's the Aaron Rodgers type of quarterback. You know they're going to put in the work, and you know they have good football intelligence.''

The NFC scout I talked to is very high on Dalton's intangibles as well, but projects him as someone who would require development time to interject himself into a team's starting situation. And that means this team wouldn't likely grade him higher than the fourth round.

"I couldn't hang my hat on him in the second round, but I really see special traits with him, and he could develop into a quality No. 2 and then work himself into a starting job,'' the scout said. "There's a lot of things to like about him, but he'd probably take some time and some work.'

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/01/12/2011-nfl-draft/index.html#ixzz1Ar3IpU9N
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Dalton is a great value 3rd rounder. Might take a year to adjust to the NFL, but he is more ready than a LOT of bigger-named guys.

He is one of my favorite players in this draft, from a value perspective, and I think the Niners should wait for a QB like Dalton later in the draft than take a risk in the first. Just too many solid positional players who could help our team a lot at number seven.
I agree 100%.
i saw clips of both stanzi and dalton. i like stanzi way more.... in my eyes its not even that close
[ Edited by fan49 on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,220
Originally posted by fan49:
i saw clips of both stanzi and dalton. i like stanzi way more.... in my eyes its not even that close

Seems we have one vote for Stanzi in the "Who has the better highlight package" category.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
TCU’s Andy Dalton does not possess the upside of some of the other QB’s in the draft, but his leadership and consistency have value in their own right. While he too will need some work adjusting to a pro style attack, Dalton shows the leadership skills and accuracy to be a backup QB in the NFL. He has a decent arm and does just enough with his feet to make the play. He may not be the type of guy you take and hope in two or three years becomes a starter, but he’s the type who could be a backup for a long time in the NFL.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/prospects/qb.html

I wouldn't put much, if any stock in that. I think that's the worst case scenario for Dalton.

Quote:
On Dalton: McShay has concerns about his size (6-foot-1) and ability to throw consistently in the "intermediate and vertical" areas of the field. But, he believes Dalton is worthy of a third or fourth-round pick because he could be brought along on the cheap and turned into a solid backup or even an adequate starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/37438/andy-dalton-and-his-draft-status

We'll see what the weigh-in turns out like. He should measure in at least around 6-1 1/2" and that's really not a big deal. I mean, a half an inch to an inch difference between other pro QBs? How will that make him be able to throw any better.

The argument for "seeing throwing lanes, or receivers" loses weight when the height discrepancy is so small. 2+ Inches, okay, but less than that, not so much.

Ever since Brees started lighting up the NFL with his 4,000 yard seasons, I don't put much stock in a QB's height. As long as he can pass the damn ball like Brees, I could careless.

As far as I know, there are a lot of 6'4" tall QB's who can't pass for squat in the NFL.

As long as he can hit the short to intermediate throws that keep drives alive, makes smart decisions, and can escape a free rusher, I'm sold.

One of the things that stuck out to me about Dalton was his ability to make plays on 3rd downs to sustain drives. He did it numerous times in the Rose Bowl as well.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
TCU’s Andy Dalton does not possess the upside of some of the other QB’s in the draft, but his leadership and consistency have value in their own right. While he too will need some work adjusting to a pro style attack, Dalton shows the leadership skills and accuracy to be a backup QB in the NFL. He has a decent arm and does just enough with his feet to make the play. He may not be the type of guy you take and hope in two or three years becomes a starter, but he’s the type who could be a backup for a long time in the NFL.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/prospects/qb.html

I wouldn't put much, if any stock in that. I think that's the worst case scenario for Dalton.

Quote:
On Dalton: McShay has concerns about his size (6-foot-1) and ability to throw consistently in the "intermediate and vertical" areas of the field. But, he believes Dalton is worthy of a third or fourth-round pick because he could be brought along on the cheap and turned into a solid backup or even an adequate starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/37438/andy-dalton-and-his-draft-status

We'll see what the weigh-in turns out like. He should measure in at least around 6-1 1/2" and that's really not a big deal. I mean, a half an inch to an inch difference between other pro QBs? How will that make him be able to throw any better.

The argument for "seeing throwing lanes, or receivers" loses weight when the height discrepancy is so small. 2+ Inches, okay, but less than that, not so much.

Ever since Brees started lighting up the NFL with his 4,000 yard seasons, I don't put much stock in a QB's height. As long as he can pass the damn ball like Brees, I could careless.

As far as I know, there are a lot of 6'4" tall QB's who can't pass for squat in the NFL.

As long as he can hit the short to intermediate throws that keep drives alive, makes smart decisions, and can escape a free rusher, I'm sold.

One of the things that stuck out to me about Dalton was his ability to make plays on 3rd downs to sustain drives. He did it numerous times in the Rose Bowl as well.
The guy just gets it done. Nothing fancy but very efficient.
some are labeling a sleeper QB in the draft. Only Harbaugh knows for sure.
According to FOX Sports' Adam Caplan, TCU QB Andy Dalton is "highly thought of in the scouting community."
Dalton was the Mountain West Conference Player of the Year in both 2009 and 2010, leading the Horned Frogs to an undefeated record this past season and compiling a 27:6 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Senior Bowl practices start two Mondays from now, and Dalton will be on the field for the South team. He's picking up steam as a potential second- to third-round pick.
Source: FOX Sports NFL Buzz
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
According to FOX Sports' Adam Caplan, TCU QB Andy Dalton is "highly thought of in the scouting community."
Dalton was the Mountain West Conference Player of the Year in both 2009 and 2010, leading the Horned Frogs to an undefeated record this past season and compiling a 27:6 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Senior Bowl practices start two Mondays from now, and Dalton will be on the field for the South team. He's picking up steam as a potential second- to third-round pick.
Source: FOX Sports NFL Buzz

If that is the case, we may be in a prime spot in the 2nd or 3rd round to nab him though of course the first 10 teams in a draft normally is QB needy.
[ Edited by 49ersRednGold on Jan 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
could be had in the 4th or 5th. I think he is a possible starter in the league or a possible journeyman, its hard to tell.

ya, I think he'll either start or he won't
is a gamer
I think AD intrigues me more than any QB in this draft... he has many intangibles: leadership, makes plays with his feet, a proven winner... not so sure if he has the accuracy or decision making skills to be successful in the NFL, and I only say that because I have not seen much from him outside of his recent bowl game.
iv prolly watched dalton, delvin, and stanzi equelly. and although i really have no expertise in qb selection. stanzi looks like the better of the few by far