There are 186 users in the forums

TCU's QB Andy Dalton

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Quote:
TCU’s Andy Dalton does not possess the upside of some of the other QB’s in the draft, but his leadership and consistency have value in their own right. While he too will need some work adjusting to a pro style attack, Dalton shows the leadership skills and accuracy to be a backup QB in the NFL. He has a decent arm and does just enough with his feet to make the play. He may not be the type of guy you take and hope in two or three years becomes a starter, but he’s the type who could be a backup for a long time in the NFL.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/prospects/qb.html

I wouldn't put much, if any stock in that. I think that's the worst case scenario for Dalton.

Quote:
On Dalton: McShay has concerns about his size (6-foot-1) and ability to throw consistently in the "intermediate and vertical" areas of the field. But, he believes Dalton is worthy of a third or fourth-round pick because he could be brought along on the cheap and turned into a solid backup or even an adequate starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/37438/andy-dalton-and-his-draft-status

We'll see what the weigh-in turns out like. He should measure in at least around 6-1 1/2" and that's really not a big deal. I mean, a half an inch to an inch difference between other pro QBs? How will that make him be able to throw any better.

The argument for "seeing throwing lanes, or receivers" loses weight when the height discrepancy is so small. 2+ Inches, okay, but less than that, not so much.
[ Edited by cory4903 on Jan 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM ]
Quote:
TCU’s Andy Dalton does not possess the upside of some of the other QB’s in the draft, but his leadership and consistency have value in their own right. While he too will need some work adjusting to a pro style attack, Dalton shows the leadership skills and accuracy to be a backup QB in the NFL. He has a decent arm and does just enough with his feet to make the play. He may not be the type of guy you take and hope in two or three years becomes a starter, but he’s the type who could be a backup for a long time in the NFL.

I wouldn't put much, if any stock in that. I think that's the worst case scenario for Dalton.

Quote:
On Dalton: McShay has concerns about his size (6-foot-1) and ability to throw consistently in the "intermediate and vertical" areas of the field. But, he believes Dalton is worthy of a third or fourth-round pick because he could be brought along on the cheap and turned into a solid backup or even an adequate starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/37438/andy-dalton-and-his-draft-status

We'll see what the weigh-in turns out like. He should measure in at least around 6-1 1/2" and that's really not a big deal. I mean, a half an inch to an inch difference between other pro QBs? How will that make him be able to throw any better.

The argument for "seeing throwing lanes, or receivers" loses weight when the height discrepancy is so small. 2+ Inches, okay, but less than that, not so much.

havent seen him play too much but by that guys description he sounds like shaun hill
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Dalton is a NFL quality QB, would definitely need to be eased into the role, much like Colt McCoy but I think he is project to be 3-4 round QB at the moment, however I would definitely put him a head of Ponder, Devlin, and Stanzi right now.

Ponder is injury prone, Devlin has no history or track record yet, Stanzi isn't a good passer and doesn't have much of an arm.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Quote:

Quote:

havent seen him play too much but by that guys description he sounds like shaun hill

McShay works for ESPN and is using information not from ESPN's own database?????

I copied this from Dalton's ESPN profile...

Birth Date October 29, 1987
Hometown KATY, TX
Height 6-3
Weight 220 lbs.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Dalton is a great value 3rd rounder. Might take a year to adjust to the NFL, but he is more ready than a LOT of bigger-named guys.

He is one of my favorite players in this draft, from a value perspective, and I think the Niners should wait for a QB like Dalton later in the draft than take a risk in the first. Just too many solid positional players who could help our team a lot at number seven.

I would be happy if we can pick him up.

Another thing is, is it possible that Harbaugh may draft two QBs in 2011 draft? A mid rounder and a late rounder?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Dalton is a great value 3rd rounder. Might take a year to adjust to the NFL, but he is more ready than a LOT of bigger-named guys.

He is one of my favorite players in this draft, from a value perspective, and I think the Niners should wait for a QB like Dalton later in the draft than take a risk in the first. Just too many solid positional players who could help our team a lot at number seven.

I would be happy if we can pick him up.

Another thing is, is it possible that Harbaugh may draft two QBs in 2011 draft? A mid rounder and a late rounder?

I thought the exact same thing due to the fact that we will be bring in 3+ QBs this off season. Carr could and should be cut but Greg Roman a Stanford staffer of Harbaugh's who is being considered as a possible OC for the 9ers was David Carr's QB coach in Houston for 2 years(ironically I think they were Carr's final 2 years in Houston). However if Roman is hired on he would definitely be able to tell Harbaugh to throw Carr off the bus based on personal experience with him.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 11, 2011 at 5:25 PM ]
Originally posted by ninertico:

Yea, I agree. I see the top prospects being Bowers, Peterson, Green and Fairley. I hope one of those drops especially if a team reaches for a QB in the first six picks. If they go in the first six, then I expect one of these three player picked by us:

Dareus
Amukamara
Quinn

Where do you see Von Miller, Kerrigan and Clayborn?

I see the order going: Clayborn, Kerrigan, and Miller. Clayborn is a big kid (size that almost matches Bryant Young) who can play the 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE role, and he is a terrific athlete for his size.

Kerrigan is a high hustle guy, who fits in as a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. He is 6-4, 263, so there is some versatility. Probably a late first rounder.

Miller is a terrific kid and a great college player, but may have trouble getting his weight to a position of being drafted high. He lists at 243 lbs. but both OTC and I believe he is closer to 230 than 240. And, that is an issue in looking at ROOKIE hybrid players. Most pass rushers coming out college and being drafted high (especially running 3-4 defenses) are trending to be in the 255-265+ pound range, like Brian Orakpo, Larry English, Robert Ayers, Brandon Graham, Pierre-Paul, Derrick Morgan, Jerry Hughes. That is the reason I have given Miller a second round grade for now. He is a much smaller athlete.

Now, can Miller play effectively at 245 in the 3-4 role? I don't see why not. Players like James Harrison are at that weight. It is simply not the draft trend to select a guy in the first round at that weight.

Yea, I agree. I see the top prospects being Bowers, Peterson, Green and Fairley. I hope one of those drops especially if a team reaches for a QB in the first six picks. If they go in the first six, then I expect one of these three player picked by us:

Dareus
Amukamara
Quinn

I see the order going: Clayborn, Kerrigan, and Miller. Clayborn is a big kid (size that almost matches Bryant Young) who can play the 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE role, and he is a terrific athlete for his size.

Kerrigan is a high hustle guy, who fits in as a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. He is 6-4, 263, so there is some versatility. Probably a late first rounder.

Miller is a terrific kid and a great college player, but may have trouble getting his weight to a position of being drafted high. He lists at 243 lbs. but both OTC and I believe he is closer to 230 than 240. And, that is an issue in looking at ROOKIE hybrid players. Most pass rushers coming out college and being drafted high (especially running 3-4 defenses) are trending to be in the 255-265+ pound range, like Brian Orakpo, Larry English, Robert Ayers, Brandon Graham, Pierre-Paul, Derrick Morgan, Jerry Hughes. That is the reason I have given Miller a second round grade for now. He is a much smaller athlete.

Now, can Miller play effectively at 245 in the 3-4 role? I don't see why not. Players like James Harrison are at that weight. It is simply not the draft trend to select a guy in the first round at that weight.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Quote:

Quote:

McShay works for ESPN and is using information not from ESPN's own database?????

Hometown KATY, TX
Height 6-3
Weight 220 lbs.

TCU releases that info, they ALWAYS exaggerate it. College Quarterbacks have been known to lose an inch or two after the combine.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Quote:

Quote:

Hometown KATY, TX
Height 6-3
Weight 220 lbs.

TCU releases that info, they ALWAYS exaggerate it. College Quarterbacks have been known to lose an inch or two after the combine.

True but until then I don't want to be discounting Dalton based on his height.

Dareus
Amukamara
Quinn

Yes, I agree about Clayborn. He, too, could be the Seymouresque DE that we need. As a matter of fact, I notice a great deal of option at that LDE position, the one that KC spent on Tyson Jackson at #3. I see better players in this draft from Dareus, Clayborn, Watt, Heyward, Jordan and possibly Bailey.

On the WILL side, I rather have Kerrigan than Miller or Ayers because of his overall physique, motor and rush skills. He fits those that I bolded and that's what we need in this D. Is he as explosive as Von Miller, no. The only way I see Miller succeeding is adding twenty to thirty pounds if he's 230 like it looks he is. Nah, need the build from the beginning and Kerrigan has it.

Oh, and I like Dalton. Have to keep on topic.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by E-49er:
I really like Andy Dalton. He is a very good prospect for Harbaugh's offense. He has a good arm, is very smart, accurate and has good mobility.

I wish someone made a highlight reel of this guy. Can't find a single one on youtube.

It's very brief, but at least it's something.

[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:12 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:

Quote:

Ever since Brees started lighting up the NFL with his 4,000 yard seasons, I don't put much stock in a QB's height. As long as he can pass the damn ball like Brees, I could careless.

As far as I know, there are a lot of 6'4" tall QB's who can't pass for squat in the NFL.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Quote:

Quote:

Ever since Brees started lighting up the NFL with his 4,000 yard seasons, I don't put much stock in a QB's height. As long as he can pass the damn ball like Brees, I could careless.

As far as I know, there are a lot of 6'4" tall QB's who can't pass for squat in the NFL.

Yeah, height is overrated in the NFL.. As long as the QB is at least 6'1", I don't give a s**t.
Share 49ersWebzone