LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

86th Annual East-West Shrine Game -- 4 PM EST January 22 on NFL Network

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think Cliff Matthews is a major sleeper.

A lot of good guys in this game.

Is Marvin Ausitn still a 1st round prospect?

His stock isn't a 1st anymore, but as far as talent, it's still there. We'll see how he plays. Since he wasn't able to play this year, scouts are going to put a lot more stock into this game and the combine. Of course you have the prior years film, too

Thanks and is he more of a 3-4 DE or NT prospect?

DE.
Hey OTC, what do you think about QB Jerrod Johnson from Texas A&M? Has nice size & seems like he is very smart kid & studied very hard! Hopefully he is healthy for this game. Thanks ahead of time.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Hey OTC, what do you think about QB Jerrod Johnson from Texas A&M? Has nice size & seems like he is very smart kid & studied very hard! Hopefully he is healthy for this game. Thanks ahead of time.

Would've been at least a 3rd round pick probably if he had come out last year. This year he went insane with Turnovers and eventually got benched for the season.

Has all-world athleticism and size, but his benching -- especially due to terrible decision making -- could make him go undrafted this year. However, I think it's likely with a good combine and a decent game here, a team could use a late-round flier on him somewhere around the 5th and beyond.

Would've been at least a 3rd round pick probably if he had come out last year. This year he went insane with Turnovers and eventually got benched for the season.

Has all-world athleticism and size, but his benching -- especially due to terrible decision making -- could make him go undrafted this year. However, I think it's likely with a good combine and a decent game here, a team could use a late-round flier on him somewhere around the 5th and beyond.

Good looking out there OTC! Seems like a good guy to get late & let him learn

I read recently that he was dealing with a shoulder injury most of the year which impacted his throwing motion/velocity. They thought eventually the arm strength would return, but it wasn't getting better, so they benched him in favor of Tanneyhill.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I read recently that he was dealing with a shoulder injury most of the year which impacted his throwing motion/velocity. They thought eventually the arm strength would return, but it wasn't getting better, so they benched him in favor of Tanneyhill.

That is what I was reading also. He was bringing in his teammates including incoming freshman and teaching them to read defense and learn plays. Hope he is healed up so can see how he does.

That is what I was reading also. He was bringing in his teammates including incoming freshman and teaching them to read defense and learn plays. Hope he is healed up so can see how he does.

You know, I completely forgot about that. I think it would be something to consider, but at the same time, you'll have people wondering if it really was the shoulder or more the player.

I would take a shot on Jerrod, personally, but I'd want to draft another QB too.
*Bump*

One week away. Practices start this coming week.
*Bump*

Where can we hear about the practices? I was hopin they'd be on NFL network but my tv guide says no. I seem to remember reading about them here the last few years though.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
*Bump*

Where can we hear about the practices? I was hopin they'd be on NFL network but my tv guide says no. I seem to remember reading about them here the last few years though.

You just have to search for articles on them. I don't believe they're televised, but there should certainly be reports.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Really, a pretty lean roster this year. All eyes should be on Austin and Moch. Moch could be one of the more intriguing players in the draft, as he reportedly has run under 4.40, for a LB/hybrid 3-4 player. Should be fascinating to watch.

I expect both of these players to land somewhere in that second round. Beyond these two, I see a lot of mid-late rounders, and many undrafted free agents.

Devlin and Taylor will get a good look, for different reasons. Can Devlin play with the big boys, and is Taylor willing to take some reps at another position. More than likely, Devlin will end up being a 3rd-4th rounder, and Taylor a QB/Slash/Wildcat player if drafted.

MadDog, quick question on Moch. The kid has crazy physical tools, but what about his football instincts? Will he be able to move to a 3-4 OLB/pass rusher position and handle the coverage responsibilities? If you have a take, I'd like to hear it.......
Does Greg McElroy have any potential as a West Coast Offense QB? Or he is strictly back up material or 3rd string?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
*Bump*

These guys do a nice job:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-game-notebook.html
Dontay Moch, OLB - 6'1", 229.

Bryant Browning, OG - 6'4", 319, 34" reach.

Canadian OT prospect Matthew O'Donnell - nearly 6'10", 335, 35" reach.
Dontay Moch, OLB - 6'1", 229.

Bryant Browning, OG - 6'4", 319, 34" reach.

Canadian OT prospect Matthew O'Donnell - nearly 6'10", 335, 35" reach.

That high 4.3 speed makes more sense now with Moch. Chris Carter weighed in at a good weight for a 3-4 backer, at 245. So did Bruce Miller, about 6-1 1/2" and 258 pounds.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone