There are 342 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert enters NFL draft

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Insight Bowl:

Passing: B. Gabbert (MIZZ) - 434 YDS, 1 TD, 2 INT

Crazy numbers for passing yards, but throughout the season, he only had 16 TDs and 9 INTs. I only watched two of his games, but it sounds like he's a bit of a gunslinger and forces passes, no?

I think they run alot at Iowa.
he's going to the Cards.
I see him struggling early on if he's put on the field. He's played primarily out of the Shotgun and usually has 4-WR sets. He has very little experience dropping back, which is usually the biggest hurdle for a young QB.

He's had the luxery of standing back 5-6 yds, taking a snap and having multiple options waiting for him. That just doesn't happen in the NFL.

In that sense, the Alex Smith comparisons are legit. Gabbert has a stronger arm, but he tends to float the ball, so it negates his arm strength. He's not overly accurate either. Gabbert has a future in the NFL, but he faces the same challenges that Alex did.

Physically, he's very talented, but I don't see him as a guy that can start anytime soon. For his sake, I hope he goes to a stable team and he's able to sit behind a veteran QB and get coached-up by a knowledgable coaching staff.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
If Arizona signs Alex Smith, I think they may opt to use their #5 pick at a DE/OLB prospect.
Gabbert to the Bengals at number 4. Seriously doubt he falls past the Cards at 5.

P.S. Living here in Ohio, I call tell you that the fans are ready to run Carson Palmer out of town. He has really dropped off, and will more than likely be on other roster next season.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 3, 2011 at 17:29:40 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Gabbert to the Bengals at number 3. Seriously doubt he falls past the Cards at 5.

Interesting opinion. Tell me, do you think Gabbert should go that high? If not, where do you believe his draft value is in relation to only his talent?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Gabbert to the Bengals at number 3. Seriously doubt he falls past the Cards at 5.

Interesting opinion. Tell me, do you think Gabbert should go that high? If not, where do you believe his draft value is in relation to only his talent?

He's probably good value at around number ten to a team like Washington. There are just so many talented guys in the top ten, if they all come out this year. Players like Luck, Peterson, Green, Fairley, Bowers are terrific talents.

He's probably good value at around number ten to a team like Washington. There are just so many talented guys in the top ten, if they all come out this year. Players like Luck, Peterson, Green, Fairley, Bowers are terrific talents.

Gotcha. I'd also be interested to see your 49ers draft board top 10 in order, if you have the time to post it.
Gabbert to the Bengals at number 4. Seriously doubt he falls past the Cards at 5.

P.S. Living here in Ohio, I call tell you that the fans are ready to run Carson Palmer out of town. He has really dropped off, and will more than likely be on other roster next season.

As long as it's not us taking him that early, I'm fine with it.

Gotcha. I'd also be interested to see your 49ers draft board top 10 in order, if you have the time to post it.

Sure.

1. Luck
2. Green
3. Peterson
4. Gabbert
5. Fairley
6. Sherrod
7. Blackmon
8. Watt
9. Dareus
10. Amukamara

Cheers.

^ Interesting. That's the earliest I've seen Watt. You don't like Bowers?

I disagree with Gabbert, but with so many QB-hungry teams, someone will reach.

I definitely agree with Blackmon, especially over Julio Jones. Blackmon made Prince look like an UDFA.

Sure.

1. Luck
2. Green
3. Peterson
4. Gabbert
5. Fairley
6. Sherrod
7. Blackmon
8. Watt
9. Dareus
10. Amukamara

Cheers.

Good looking list with some surprises in bold. Are you that concerned over Staley's play/durability... or?

Are you selecting Fairley/Watt to replace Sopoaga at LE in a 3-4?

Dareus was absolutely sick the other day. I'd have him over Fairley at this point.

( but thanks... good list )
Originally posted by strickac:
^ Interesting. That's the earliest I've seen Watt. You don't like Bowers?

I disagree with Gabbert, but with so many QB-hungry teams, someone will reach.

I definitely agree with Blackmon, especially over Julio Jones. Blackmon made Prince look like an UDFA.

I like Bowers, but he has a tendency to take plays off, and that is enough of a concern to move him down my board.

On the flip side, you can see that Watt is ready to play in the NFL. Big-time NFL body, great quickness and a non-stop motor.

Sure.

1. Luck
2. Green
3. Peterson
4. Gabbert
5. Fairley
6. Sherrod
7. Blackmon
8. Watt
9. Dareus
10. Amukamara

Cheers.

Good looking list with some surprises in bold. Are you that concerned over Staley's play/durability... or?

Are you selecting Fairley/Watt to replace Sopoaga at LE in a 3-4?

Dareus was absolutely sick the other day. I'd have him over Fairley at this point.

( but thanks... good list )

I'd like to shift A. Davis inside, to be honest. I want a quicker/smarter guy off the edge, and I have zero confidence in Rachal.

I think the team is going to lose Franklin in FA and will need to shift Soap inside. Plus, Sopoaga gives the team absolutely nothing in pass rushing the QB. We need another guy who can put heat on the QB, opposite Smith. I want one of those big, quick 300 pounders at LDE.

Watt is hyper-athletic for a 3-4 DE. Lots to like. Very disruptive and great change of direction skills.

I'd like to shift A. Davis inside, to be honest. I want a quicker/smarter guy off the edge, and I have zero confidence in Rachal.

That is an awfully expensive RG you would have there. I do agree that I'm pretty unimpressed with AD's RT display though.
Share 49ersWebzone