LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert enters NFL draft

Originally posted by btwagner:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He'll be a first rounder, but likely will be over-drafted. I think he's a top 20 kind of guy, right now.

I think as time goes by and Harbaugh leaves Stanford so will Luck. Gabbert will be #2 QB off the board. If the niners want him they will likely have to move ahead of Cardinals....

I don't think the Cards draft a QB in the 1st round (not sure Whisenhunt has the time/inclination to develop a rookie)...I think they make a play for a veteran (Alex Smith is a strong possibility here, as is McNabb) and use their 5th overall to draft a CB or pass rusher.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I'm on the Blaine Gabbert to 49ers bandawagon
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Quote:
Gabbert is ideally built (6'5/235) and offers plenty of arm strength. Questions facing Gabbert will be his ability to adjust from a shotgun-only spread offense to a pro-style scheme, as well as suspect pocket presence and downfield accuracy. If he impresses in pre-draft workouts, Gabbert has the potential to be a top-ten overall pick.

That alone makes me say f**k GABBERT.....

Anyone remember the last spread QB we drafted?
Originally posted by JD81:
Quote:
Gabbert is ideally built (6'5/235) and offers plenty of arm strength. Questions facing Gabbert will be his ability to adjust from a shotgun-only spread offense to a pro-style scheme, as well as suspect pocket presence and downfield accuracy. If he impresses in pre-draft workouts, Gabbert has the potential to be a top-ten overall pick.

You know Sam Bradford was a spread QB too right?
I thought Gabbert DID take snaps from under center as well??
  • VD85
  • Veteran
Id prefer Locker if we get Harbaugh. he's better for the WCO. (if we don't trade for Luck)

I DON'T want Mallet or Newton though. BUSTS!!
Quote:

I'm no fan of Alex Smith, but he had NoWin and Dingleberry as a head coach for 6 years (tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber when it comes to offense)...no young QB is going to develop properly under those circumstances. If Smith had Harbaugh from day one, he would likely be a very different QB right now. And again, I'm NOT IN ANY WAY an Alex Smith supporter. It's just reality.

If we get a REAL offensive mind to lead this team, I wouldn't hesitate to draft a young QB at #7 overall, regardless of what system he comes out of.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 4, 2011 at 00:19:50 ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I'm no fan of Alex Smith, but he had NoWin and Dingleberry as a head coach for 6 years (tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber when it comes to offense)...no young QB is going to develop properly under those circumstances. If Smith had Harbaugh from day one, he would likely be a very different QB right now. And again, I'm NOT IN ANY WAY an Alex Smith supporter. It's just reality.

If we get a REAL offensive mind to lead this team, I wouldn't hesitate to draft a young QB at #7 overall, regardless of what system he comes out of.

Agree. I feel like Harbaugh would coach him up. And do a damn good job. I think he could make any QB better. Hell, I feel like every move will be a good one with him. I'm in

It's sad that we have to clarify "I am not an Alex Smith lover blah blah" so nobody gets in an argument.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Agree. I feel like Harbaugh would coach him up. And do a damn good job. I think he could make any QB better. Hell, I feel like every move will be a good one with him. I'm in

It's sad that we have to clarify "I am not an Alex Smith lover blah blah" so nobody gets in an argument.

haha, it's true! People lose their mind when it comes to Alex Smith references...
Originally posted by VD85:
Id prefer Locker if we get Harbaugh. he's better for the WCO. (if we don't trade for Luck)

Newton is gonna be a beast. people talked s**t on Tebow and said he would be a 3rd round H-Back. he looks pretty good as a QB so far.

check this out. http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/13266/cam-newton-handling-pressure-well it shows Cam performers at an even higher level when he is pressured. we need a play maker who can improvise when stuff breaks down. hes accurate, mobile, fiery and he has a cannon for an arm. in a WCO this guy is going to be a beast.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Newton is gonna be a beast. people talked s**t on Tebow and said he would be a 3rd round H-Back. he looks pretty good as a QB so far.

check this out. http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/13266/cam-newton-handling-pressure-well it shows Cam performers at an even higher level when he is pressured. we need a play maker who can improvise when stuff breaks down. hes accurate, mobile, fiery and he has a cannon for an arm. in a WCO this guy is going to be a beast.

Tebow > Newton. He's more accurate.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

clausen was supposedly more accurate than tebow but it doesnt look that way right about now.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Jrg would be the guy to ask on this QB.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

clausen was supposedly more accurate than tebow but it doesnt look that way right about now.

Tebow > Claussen. I don't think that's close either. Tebow was very underrated by this board. He's a very accurate thrower. He always was and still is. All you have to do is watch the games. He was never a pure runner. He's very accurate. His accuracy is massively underrated. People are surprised but he's always had that at Florida too.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
he's going to the Cards.

My buddy who is from St. Louis is a HUGE Blaine Gabbert and Mallett fan and he can't decide which one he wants for his Cards.
Share 49ersWebzone