LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

Von Miller is a must in Rd 1

Originally posted by rayn36:

VM made a lot of plays in college, but I actually agree with Genus regarding his run def - at least from what I saw in college. He gets swallowed up by linemen. He does not have the size and strength to shed blocks. Too often, when he did not beat the blocker initially, he was not effective. He was hit or miss when pass rushing or in the run.

The only redeeming factor is that I think he will have many free lanes in an aggressive blitzing scheme where his instincts can take over. Also, the fat guys in front of him should make his life easier in more frequently keeping blockers off of him.

But that's the thing, EVERYONE knows about his supposedly lack in run D when all the tape does show a kid willing and able to take on a fattie at over 300 plus, a kid who will drop in coverage against a RB or TE and a kid when we ask to pin the ears back, he does.

When the pros acknowledge his ability to be a three-down backer AND be able to bring it when needed, I just don't understand the stuborness to continue to say that this kid is one-dimensional. He's far from that and the fact that he's now also considered a 4-3 SAM as well, only magnifies his VERSATILITY.

at the fact that Von Miller is a one-dimensional player.

Seriously.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I have no clue what pick he should be, but I want him on this team

That Vid was just one seasons highlights? holy crp!
That was fun to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnZSceCN5Yg
Originally posted by ninertico:

VM made a lot of plays in college, but I actually agree with Genus regarding his run def - at least from what I saw in college. He gets swallowed up by linemen. He does not have the size and strength to shed blocks. Too often, when he did not beat the blocker initially, he was not effective. He was hit or miss when pass rushing or in the run.

The only redeeming factor is that I think he will have many free lanes in an aggressive blitzing scheme where his instincts can take over. Also, the fat guys in front of him should make his life easier in more frequently keeping blockers off of him.

But that's the thing, EVERYONE knows about his supposedly lack in run D when all the tape does show a kid willing and able to take on a fattie at over 300 plus, a kid who will drop in coverage against a RB or TE and a kid when we ask to pin the ears back, he does.

When the pros acknowledge his ability to be a three-down backer AND be able to bring it when needed, I just don't understand the stuborness to continue to say that this kid is one-dimensional. He's far from that and the fact that he's now also considered a 4-3 SAM as well, only magnifies his VERSATILITY.

Seriously.

You are right! Those people are very stubborn. He is adequate in coverage and is not a one trick pony.

But it is one thing to be willing to take on blockers and another thing to win those battles. He simply does not have the strength right now.

In the top 10, you should expect to get a difference maker with few weaknesses. Now, if we can hide his lack of stoutness vs the run, we may have something going.

Seriously.

You are right! Those people are very stubborn. He is adequate in coverage and is not a one trick pony.

But it is one thing to be willing to take on blockers and another thing to win those battles. He simply does not have the strength right now.

In the top 10, you should expect to get a difference maker with few weaknesses. Now, if we can hide his lack of stoutness vs the run, we may have something going.

Whoever drafts Miller isn't going to start him right away, or play him on every down in his rookie year (if they're smart). They'll ease him in by placing him in situations that play to his strengths (pass rush) while he works on his technique and strength against the run. By year 2, he should be fine...much stronger, much better technique and understanding of his responsibilities and probably even just as dangerous (if not more) off the edge).

So he's definitely a risk in the top 10-15, but because his skill-set is in such high demand, teams will likely take that risk.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Seriously.

Whoever drafts Miller isn't going to start him right away, or play him on every down in his rookie year (if they're smart). They'll ease him in by placing him in situations that play to his strengths (pass rush) while he works on his technique and strength against the run. By year 2, he should be fine...much stronger, much better technique and understanding of his responsibilities and probably even just as dangerous (if not more) off the edge).

So he's definitely a risk in the top 10-15, but because his skill-set is in such high demand, teams will likely take that risk.

Conceptually, that is a brilliant approach. But most teams - esp those picking in the top half of the draft - don't have the luxury to ease a 1st rounder in. Let's just say that we traded down and picked him in the 10-15 range. Wouldn't you be pissed off to see that we are easing in a top 15 pick? If I am New England, obviously I have that luxury and am in a better position to risk taking him very high.

But it is still early. VM has stated that he is disappointed with his weigh in. He exhibits great work ethic and I am beyond curious as to what his combine weight will be. I think he has the frame to add 10 lbs without sacrificing too much speed because of his wiry frame. Perhaps he will silence all critics come combine time. Idk but we will see.

Seriously.

Conceptually, that is a brilliant approach. But most teams - esp those picking in the top half of the draft - don't have the luxury to ease a 1st rounder in. Let's just say that we traded down and picked him in the 10-15 range. Wouldn't you be pissed off to see that we are easing in a top 15 pick? If I am New England, obviously I have that luxury and am in a better position to risk taking him very high.

But it is still early. VM has stated that he is disappointed with his weigh in. He exhibits great work ethic and I am beyond curious as to what his combine weight will be. I think he has the frame to add 10 lbs without sacrificing too much speed because of his wiry frame. Perhaps he will silence all critics come combine time. Idk but we will see.

I wouldn't be pissed off to see us easing in a top 15 pick at all. I wish more teams did that. That said, some prospects have the frame, mentality and the skill to jump right in and succeed (see Iupati), whereas others would benefit from watching first, increasing their knowledge, honing their technique and getting stronger (see Anthony Davis). So long as you're not throwing guys in to the fire that aren't ready yet, you should be fine as a franchise.

Btw, I agree with you on Miller. My initial thought was that we as too small/not stout enough to be a top-10 pick. But I can see the Cards pulling the trigger on him at #5, and wouldn't be at all disappointed if we drafted him at #7 either.
Originally posted by cools:
I have no clue what pick he should be, but I want him on this team

That Vid was just one seasons highlights? holy crp!
That was fun to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnZSceCN5Yg

3:03 into the video shows great agility and burst.

Miller starts an outside rush and the OT slides out to cut him off. Miller simply darts to the inside gap that the OT vacated and flies right by him without missing a beat.

I had to rewind to see why the heck the OT left such a big hole because you don't even notice Miller's change of direction

Wow...

Seriously.

I wouldn't be pissed off to see us easing in a top 15 pick at all. I wish more teams did that. That said, some prospects have the frame, mentality and the skill to jump right in and succeed (see Iupati), whereas others would benefit from watching first, increasing their knowledge, honing their technique and getting stronger (see Anthony Davis). So long as you're not throwing guys in to the fire that aren't ready yet, you should be fine as a franchise.

Btw, I agree with you on Miller. My initial thought was that we as too small/not stout enough to be a top-10 pick. But I can see the Cards pulling the trigger on him at #5, and wouldn't be at all disappointed if we drafted him at #7 either.

With the main part of the Senior Bowl completed, my updated board (assuming Fairley and Bowers are gone) in order is:

Peterson
Quinn
Green
Miller
Prince
Dareus

The beauty of our slot and this draft is we are guaranteed to get one of these guys.

How has your board changed and in what order would you pick the prospects?
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

Two words. Dwight Freeney.

This has been the fun comparison to throw out there and it just doesn't fit. Freeney is a 4-3 DE. He also has like 30-40 lbs on Von. The positions vary greatly outside of pass rushing. True both Freeney and Miller do that very well.

The Colts D has always been bad against the run and it's hurt them. I'd rather avoid the same thing and it would actually be tougher to hide Von's run D at 3-4 OLB than it is with Freeney in a 4-3 DE.

But as I said above...that's just my opinion. If the niners feel he's the guy and worth the pick I'd love nothing more than to be wrong.

Freeney IS a good comparison, but not from a talent comparison. They have very similar styles. Earlier in Freeney's career he relied very heavily on the speed rush and teams would exploit him by running the ball straight at him. They'd easily gain the edge because Freeney would run himself out of the play.

In college, teams were able to do that against Miller as well. Texas was very effective at it. They knew he was a threat as a pass rusher, so they ran to his side all game and let Miller run himself out of he play.

It's encouraging to read that he's been so effective pass rushing at the SB with a variety of moves and even displaying some power.

He's very risky at #7, but I do feel that he a special pass rusher. I feel that rushing the QB is an innate quality that guys either have or don't. My biggest problem with McCloughan was that he drafted OLB based on how they'd transition standing up, rather than how effective they were as pass rushers. Guys like Haralson, Lawson and Moore were relatively productive DEs that could set the edge and stand up, but they weren't great pass rushers in college.

Baalke made a comment that OLBs should be pass rushers first and should be able to set the edge. Then, he'll worry about if they can drop back, since it's not heavily req'd from them. I like his thinking. What's the point of having a 3-4 defense if your OLBs aren't great pass rushers?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Seriously.

To me, he is a Julian Peterson clone. Peterson was amazing in college as a pass-rusher, and good at the pro-level - but best suited for 4-3 alignment, where he can get protection from the DE.

Top 5 pick is way too high for him, especially when you look at the talent of defensive players at the top of this draft. For a 4-3 team, he will make a lot of sense in top 10, but for a 3-4 team - I am not so sure.

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Seriously.

To me, he is a Julian Peterson clone. Peterson was amazing in college as a pass-rusher, and good at the pro-level - but best suited for 4-3 alignment, where he can get protection from the DE.

Top 5 pick is way too high for him, especially when you look at the talent of defensive players at the top of this draft. For a 4-3 team, he will make a lot of sense in top 10, but for a 3-4 team - I am not so sure.

I think Miller is a much more skilled pass rusher than Peterson was (who was a great speed rusher, but didn't have a ton of moves at Michigan St.). That said, if he ended up like JP (5X pro-bowler, 3X all-pro, nearly 50 career sacks for a guy who wasn't primarily asked to rush the passer throughout his career), that wouldn't be a terrible thing for a #7 overall pick. Maybe I'm just a little more conservative in my expectations of these guys than most.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I really think we trade up to get this player. We have 2 3rd round picks I believe.

I'd rather keep those two third rounders
I really think we trade up to get this player. We have 2 3rd round picks I believe.

god, i hope not. there is no player i'll trade up for this draft, way too expensive when you can still get a potential star if you stay put. this yr i'd rather trade down and get more 2nd rd picks
I believe he will come in at the Combine around 245. If he can maintain that first step, he will certainly rise into top ten status easily especially if all teams, 4-3 and 3-4, want him.

I love him (no homo) for his first step and explosion, but he has underrated versatility because he can cover and play the run. I can see Fangio utilizing his speed to cause matchup problems. He's a three down backer in whatever scheme, but his specialty is third down. He can cover and run with RBs and TEs. He can wade through the miriad of fatties to get to the ball carrier even at 237 now. I can see him bulking up and being coached the right way in attacking the run and setting the edge. The comparisons with Matthews will be overdone, but on point.

IMHO, his abilities scream pass rusher and he will be used as such. I don't want another Lawson. We need 3-4 pass rushers, not 4-3 SAMs. Still, I keep remembering Haralson whiffing on the edge against CJ. VM's speed wouldn't have allowed it. He can set the edge and recover if needed, both Haralson and Manny didn't have that recovery speed.

I guess I see him being able to start from day one. Sure, all prospects need a lil seasoning, but we need #7 to jump in just like Willis did. Can VM do that? I believe he can and will for whoever drafts him.

Just another candidate for #7! Man, we have some juicy prospects to choose from in our areas of need even at #7:

CB
Peterson
Amukamara

Pass Rusher
Von Miller
Robert Quinn

3-4 LDE
Marcel Dareus
Cameron Jordan--I expect him to move up like Tyson Jackson did for KC.

Say no to QB at #7!!!
Originally posted by ads_2006:

I'd rather keep those two third rounders

We have one 3rd round pick and two 4th rounders.

But yah, that I wouldn't do. I like Miller and think he's going to be a very good 3-4 OLB when it's all said and done, but I wouldn't trade up to get him. I think Robert Quinn, Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith and even Justin Houston can be just as impactful in our 3-4 as Miller.
Share 49ersWebzone