LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

To many needs to over draft a QB

• dj43
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Let's take a quick look at the playoff teams this year, and where their QBs were drafted:

PHI - Vick (1st rounder)
CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
ATL - Ryan (1st)
NO - Brees (2nd)
NE - Brady (6th)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)
BAL - Flacco (1st)
PIT - Roethlisberger (1st)
IND - Manning (1st)
KC - Cassel (7th)

The NFC West is undecided between either Bradford (1st) or Hasselbeck (6th). Also the Giants with Manning (1st) still have a shot. So do the Bucs with Freeman (1st). But the above results speak for themselves:

11 Teams
8 First Round QBs
1 Second Rounder
1 Sixth
1 7th

QB is too important to not take in Round 1
We all agree a QB is needed. The question is; how far should you reach to get one?

A lot will change between now and the draft, however, other than Luck, I have not seen any consensus that any of the common names are worthy of a top 15 pick. All of those have significant question marks after their name.

As it stands right now, the 49ers are likely to pick 5-7. So do you reach for someone like Locker, who many say is a late first round value? Or do you grab a pass rusher or CB who is a legit 5-7 value? There will likely be QBs in the early second round that may be just as good as a late teen first round pick.

This is a trap draft for the 49ers, IMO. If they reach for a QB and that guy fails to meet the value slot, they will not have solved any of their prime needs.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
There's no way we DON'T draft a QB, and it's likely that the new head coach will have a strong say in who that guy is (not to mention, developing properly over the next few years). So as long as we hire the right head coach, "over-drafting" a QB shouldn't be an issue.

1.) GM
2.) HC
3.) Sign veteran QB starter
4.) Draft QB (preferably in the 1st/2nd round)

That is all logical, however there is a big question mark after item #3. Who is out there that this fan base can tolerate long enough for a rookie to develop?
Originally posted by thedude:
A good QB could do more to make this team better than any other need. I wouldn't reach for a QB if there's obvious better talent, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't grab a QB with our first two picks or make a move for an existing NFL QB.

We MIGHT have won an extra game or two if Tom Brady was our QB this year. And that is IF he wasn't knocked out of action for a game or two (or more) because we can't protect him.

The QB doesn't matter with no time to throw the ball. We have somewhere near the worst O-Line in the NFL and until that changes to at least average, our QB won't matter.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Draft a QB and settle it, we can plug holes during free agency.

Didn't we do this when we drafted Alex Smith? Or didn't the Lions settle their problems with Stafford? Or the bears with Rex Grossman? Or maybe the Raiders have settled their QB problems with Jamarcus? Speaking of the Raiders doesn't look like Campbell helped the Skins much. Vince Young anyone? Drafting a QB takes skills. These skills aren't currently employed by the niners. And for the simple people who point to Rothesberger, Rivers, Matty ice, Cutler etc yep none of this Years QBs are close to the skill level of these guys. I don't care if we land Mike Vick himself we are gonna give up points after points with the worst secondary in the league and that is why we are not in the playoffs. No way we slide Clements to safety at twelve million next year. Not gonna happen.

Knowing whether you drafted right is another thing, you can't dwell on the fact that because you didn't draft right the first time you shouldn't do the same. Should we over draft for a QB, well it really depends on which QB is available when we pick right. Would I take a Jake Locker or Cam Newton in the top 10, I can't speak for everyone, but no I wouldn't, nor would I take a Ricky Stanzi or a Christian Ponder in the 1st. If a Patrick Peterson were on the board with Ryan Mallet, no doubt I'd take the BPA in Peterson, BUT, I'd make sure with my next pick it would be the best available QB, because again, I know that position does need to be filled and solidified....that's just the way I'd draft, again I can't speak for everyone.

He was talking about what you said, draft a QB and fill in the blanks in FA. He's right, that rarely works and when it does it's the exception, not the rule. The 49ers are not one of those team's that is just a QB away from being a Super Bowl contender.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Didn't we do this when we drafted Alex Smith? Or didn't the Lions settle their problems with Stafford? Or the bears with Rex Grossman? Or maybe the Raiders have settled their QB problems with Jamarcus? Speaking of the Raiders doesn't look like Campbell helped the Skins much. Vince Young anyone? Drafting a QB takes skills. These skills aren't currently employed by the niners. And for the simple people who point to Rothesberger, Rivers, Matty ice, Cutler etc yep none of this Years QBs are close to the skill level of these guys. I don't care if we land Mike Vick himself we are gonna give up points after points with the worst secondary in the league and that is why we are not in the playoffs. No way we slide Clements to safety at twelve million next year. Not gonna happen.

Nicedude thanks for the input
You have lost all credibility

you have lost more credibility to look at the posts I made for the "input" you require.

There are 4 1st round calibur qb's that we have to look at. For all the busts that there have been in the 1st, there are many successes as well.

There are WAY more 1st round QB's that don't pan out than those that do.
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
You can add WR to the list, I like Crabtree but we need a physical WR.............Dez Bryant would have been perfect.........ugh!

Wait, you're telling me you'd rather have Dez than Anthony Davis??!!!!!

i couldn't believe Dez fell so far.

Nothing against A.Davis, I still think he could be a decent OT but man Dez Bryant looks like another T.O.

I know man, i'm just messing. I'd trade Davis for Bryant in a heart beat. He's exactly like a young T.O, only quicker.

Although Dez would have been nice, we could of stayed put and got him. once we made that trade, the OBVIOUS pick should have been Earl Thomas. You don't trade up and take a player that will more than likely fall to you if you stay put. I think Anthony will continue to progress but once it said 49ers traded up, that pick should have been Thomas

We could have gotten Thomas and Davis IMO. Definitely Thomas and Iupati. Earl Thomas was who I wanted too.
I'm in agreement I say trade down and acquire more picks and try to pick up a QB in the later half of the 1st.
Let's take a quick look at the playoff teams this year, and where their QBs were drafted:

PHI - Vick (1st rounder)
CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
ATL - Ryan (1st)
NO - Brees (2nd)
NE - Brady (6th)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)
BAL - Flacco (1st)
IND - Manning (1st)
KC - Cassel (7th)

The NFC West is undecided between either Bradford (1st) or Hasselbeck (6th). Also the Giants with Manning (1st) still have a shot. So do the Bucs with Freeman (1st). But the above results speak for themselves:

11 Teams
8 First Round QBs
1 Second Rounder
1 Sixth
1 7th

How many teams NOT in the playoffs have 1st round QBs? That stat means nothing because the 1st round of every NFL draft is loaded with QBs (and OTs and D-linemen). It's obvious that a lot of playoff teams are going to have 1st round QBs because there are more QBs taken in the first round most years than any other round.

If there is an average of 4 QBs taken in the 1st round every year and a 1st round NFL QBs career is 10 years EVERY TEAM would have a stud 1st round QB by now. But they don't, more of them don't succeed than do.

[ Edited by Gavintech on Dec 28, 2010 at 10:48:03 ]

agreed, but i used to think that FA could solve all other issues. fact of the matter is that we will NOT fill all needs via FA.

the best we can hope for is a GM/Scout/HC who will be able to look deep in the draft and get players in the draft slots we will be sitting at. i would hope that we could land at least one solid and proven vet in FA and draft young talent in later rounds.

so, i am going to say QB in first, pass rusher in second, MAYBE FA CB and some help along the o-line-even if it is just a journeyman.
Originally posted by 76Razor:

agreed, but i used to think that FA could solve all other issues. fact of the matter is that we will NOT fill all needs via FA.

the best we can hope for is a GM/Scout/HC who will be able to look deep in the draft and get players in the draft slots we will be sitting at. i would hope that we could land at least one solid and proven vet in FA and draft young talent in later rounds.

so, i am going to say QB in first, pass rusher in second, MAYBE FA CB and some help along the o-line-even if it is just a journeyman.

We need a CB or a passrusher in the 1st, a FA Guard, then worry about QB (draft/FA/trade)...

Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by 76Razor:

We need a CB or a passrusher in the 1st, a FA Guard, then worry about QB (draft/FA/trade)...

not opposed to this either. especially if we could land the likes of palmer and maybe devlin in the 3rd-4th.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

PHI - Vick (1st rounder)
CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
ATL - Ryan (1st)
NO - Brees (2nd)
NE - Brady (6th)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)
BAL - Flacco (1st)
IND - Manning (1st)
KC - Cassel (7th)

11 Teams
8 First Round QBs
1 Second Rounder
1 Sixth
1 7th

How many teams NOT in the playoffs have 1st round QBs? That stat means nothing because the 1st round of every NFL draft is loaded with QBs (and OTs and D-linemen). It's obvious that a lot of playoff teams are going to have 1st round QBs because there are more QBs taken in the first round most years than any other round.

If there is an average of 4 QBs taken in the 1st round every year and a 1st round NFL QBs career is 10 years EVERY TEAM would have a stud 1st round QB by now. But they don't, more of them don't succeed than do.

you can make this argument for most positions.

There's ALWAYS gonna be someone you can take a look at later. that's why scouting, understanding everyone else's need, and draft positioning is so important.
I think Niners will grab a veteran QB (Palmer, Orton, McNabb) and draft a Stanzi in the 2nd RD. Who knows maybe Mallet drops as well.

RD1/ Best available OLB/CB/DE
RD2/ QB
RD3/ Speed WR
RD4/ OG
You realize that if Gruden is our HC, we'll draft nothing but QBs. We also sign a bunch of FA QBs. We be running the all QB offense.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
You realize that if Gruden is our HC, we'll draft nothing but QBs. We also sign a bunch of FA QBs. We be running the all QB offense.

Share 49ersWebzone