There are 139 users in the forums

To many needs to over draft a QB

Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by RKab:
Originally posted by thedude:
A good QB could do more to make this team better than any other need. I wouldn't reach for a QB if there's obvious better talent, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't grab a QB with our first two picks or make a move for an existing NFL QB.

We MIGHT have won an extra game or two if Tom Brady was our QB this year. And that is IF he wasn't knocked out of action for a game or two (or more) because we can't protect him.

The QB doesn't matter with no time to throw the ball. We have somewhere near the worst O-Line in the NFL and until that changes to at least average, our QB won't matter.

I gotta say I find this to be a ridiculous statement. Tom Brady, while losing his best WR in Moss, and with a poor / below average defense, and with inexperienced youth all around, and with injuries to his lineman, has the Pats as the best team in the league. I'd wager he could win more than an "extra game or two."

The QB always matters, always, always, always. Pittsburgh has had a makeshift / poor line for years now and continues to win with Big Ben. Look at Green Bay and all the protection problems they have. A huge part of pass protection is playcalling and a lot of ills of our o-line can be cured with a decent QB and better play calling (I don't know, may be call a damn screen once and a while.)

I'd argue that he didn't lose his best receiver in Moss, Welker is his best receiver. And the defense? When did I say anything about the defense and WTF does it have to do with anything? Above all else Brady is in the perfect system for him and he has ALL DAY to throw the ball. This isn't just this year, it's always. And when he doesn't he doesn't play well. Yes, he's much better than Alex will ever be but that doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't be able to succeed here either. He'd have helped this team do a little better than it has this season, but not by that much.

I agree you can fix a little bit of a bad o-line's problems with playcalling/scheme but that hasn't been done here the last couple of years so it's not worth talking about when talking about the past. Going forward, I hope that changes.

I don't think the argument is fair to be honest. If we had Brady, I'm almost certain the OC will have MUCH MORE confidence in him to make plays so the playcalling will be a TAD different.

Brady is also very quick with his reads and release. He knows where the ball is going. It seems as if Alex only knows his 1st option and his checkdown and their are 5 targets to throw to most of the time Troy seemed like he was going through his progressions because of how long the ball was in his hands but he wasn't, he was just holding onto the ball and waiting for someone to break open.

Brady gets the ball out VERY QUICKLY and puts it into a very tight window. Our QB's can't do that. Brady has confidence to throw the ball before they finish their route. Our QB's don't do that. Our Receivers and O-line are not the best but will look MUCH BETTER with a QB like Brady, I promise you that.

I buy that our receivers would look better with Brady (but not the o-line, they'd look worse) but no more than a game or two in the W column, I promise you that.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by dj43:
Winning teams draft the BPA. Desperate teams draft for need.

In this case, the 49ers should draft BPA regardless of where they pick; #5, #8, where ever. If Luck comes out, he will go to Carolina. Unless the 49ers are willing to give up Willis, they won't be able to get Luck away from the Panthers. If Luck does't come out, then it doesn't matter anyway. I don't see any of the other QBs that are coming out that will be worth a top 10 pick.

The next biggest need is a pass rusher, more so than a CB. A pass rusher will make the entire secondary look better because opposing QBs will have much less time to find a receiver. There are a couple of guys who might be worth a #5 pick although there is a lot of testing to be done.

After that come CB and there should be a good one there when they pick.

What really complicates this is that it is clear Troy isn't the answer but Alex would be a good intermediate working until a rookie comes on. The trouble with that is that Alex is very unlikely to want to stay here after all the garbage he has taken from the fans, not that his performance has been spectacular but he has been hampered as no other QB in a long time.

All that being said, they may have to reach in the second round or trade back into the first but when you have a chance for an impact player, even if it is not your greatest need, you get the impact guy. Don't reach for need. That is a waste of draft value.

I agee with everything you said except keepng Alex. No matter how you slice it, the personalites, politics, lack of performance and the mental drain of keeping Alex aboard would hinder this team's, as well as, Alex's performance and growth. He could not even handle Sing calling him out, how in the hell do some you expect for him to handle another coach, another system, another set of expectations, etc... Some of you speak of Nate's learning disabilities, but as one poster pointed out, Alex has demonstrated that he too has a learning disability; which was explicitly expresed by his college coach!

At least with another team, Alex may have a fighting chance. Right now, he and the 49ers are a bad marriage and nothinbg can change that. If you are a fan of Alex, you should hope that the end of the season marks an official divorce! It would simply be unfair to this team and Alex if he remains with the organization.

He couldn't handle Sing calling him out? I'm pretty sure he came back to lead the team down the field on three drives and threw two touchdowns in less than a quarter following that interaction.

Well if you call standing up representing members of his team having to encourage him to stand-up and demand another chance to get back on the field and after throwing those two TD's throwing a game ending interception when it really mattered....then I gues that he really showed Sing and everyone else what he was made of then, huh?
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Let's take a quick look at the playoff teams this year, and where their QBs were drafted:

PHI - Vick (1st rounder)
CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
ATL - Ryan (1st)
NO - Brees (2nd)
NE - Brady (6th)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)
BAL - Flacco (1st)
PIT - Roethlisberger (1st)
IND - Manning (1st)
KC - Cassel (7th)

The NFC West is undecided between either Bradford (1st) or Hasselbeck (6th). Also the Giants with Manning (1st) still have a shot. So do the Bucs with Freeman (1st). But the above results speak for themselves:

11 Teams
8 First Round QBs
1 Second Rounder
1 Sixth
1 7th

QB is too important to not take in Round 1

Pretty hot damn compelling argument.

Look at how many teams that are not in the playoff that have 1st round QBs. Argument = suddenly not so hot damn compelling.

Dude, that doesn't diminish the argument one bit. We are interested in teams that make the playoff's, not teams that don't. Who gives a f**k about teams that don't make the playoff's? WTF man.

The argument you are trying to make here is that of "for every one that makes it, one doesn't".

OK...so lets make what you are saying a "given".
Given that for everyone 1st round QB in the playoff's, there is one (or two, or three, or 100) not in the playoff's. Now what do you do? You do the same damn thing you would do even if you didn't examine than ones who are not in the playoff's....you go examine all the teams left in the playoff's who do not have a first rounder and you find that the argument is even more compelling as they are the exception and not the rule. You find they are they oddity, just as before. Same f**king result either which way you work the equation, working it from the front or back, it is the same result. What, we have 2 QB's not first rounder's? And hell, one of them is headed to the HOF, he is indeed the exception when it comes to QB's picked in round's later than one. Good luck to any team trying to emulating that stroke of cosmic luck, you will be in for a long f**king wait going that route.(Brady)

The argument is just as compelling, the facts surrounding non-playoff teams are completely irrelevant because you still must look at the playoff teams, what is at issue here is the facts surrounding playoff teams as those are the ones competing for a SB, not the others.

Like I said, nobody gives a f**k bout non-playoff teams, they are completely irrelevant to the facts surrounding QB's of playoff teams.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 28, 2010 at 17:01:33 ]
A good QB could do more to make this team better than any other need. I wouldn't reach for a QB if there's obvious better talent, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't grab a QB with our first two picks or make a move for an existing NFL QB.

We MIGHT have won an extra game or two if Tom Brady was our QB this year. And that is IF he wasn't knocked out of action for a game or two (or more) because we can't protect him.

The QB doesn't matter with no time to throw the ball. We have somewhere near the worst O-Line in the NFL and until that changes to at least average, our QB won't matter.

I gotta say I find this to be a ridiculous statement. Tom Brady, while losing his best WR in Moss, and with a poor / below average defense, and with inexperienced youth all around, and with injuries to his lineman, has the Pats as the best team in the league. I'd wager he could win more than an "extra game or two."

The QB always matters, always, always, always. Pittsburgh has had a makeshift / poor line for years now and continues to win with Big Ben. Look at Green Bay and all the protection problems they have. A huge part of pass protection is playcalling and a lot of ills of our o-line can be cured with a decent QB and better play calling (I don't know, may be call a damn screen once and a while.)

I'd argue that he didn't lose his best receiver in Moss, Welker is his best receiver. And the defense? When did I say anything about the defense and WTF does it have to do with anything? Above all else Brady is in the perfect system for him and he has ALL DAY to throw the ball. This isn't just this year, it's always. And when he doesn't he doesn't play well. Yes, he's much better than Alex will ever be but that doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't be able to succeed here either. He'd have helped this team do a little better than it has this season, but not by that much.

I agree you can fix a little bit of a bad o-line's problems with playcalling/scheme but that hasn't been done here the last couple of years so it's not worth talking about when talking about the past. Going forward, I hope that changes.

I don't think the argument is fair to be honest. If we had Brady, I'm almost certain the OC will have MUCH MORE confidence in him to make plays so the playcalling will be a TAD different.

Brady is also very quick with his reads and release. He knows where the ball is going. It seems as if Alex only knows his 1st option and his checkdown and their are 5 targets to throw to most of the time Troy seemed like he was going through his progressions because of how long the ball was in his hands but he wasn't, he was just holding onto the ball and waiting for someone to break open.

Brady gets the ball out VERY QUICKLY and puts it into a very tight window. Our QB's can't do that. Brady has confidence to throw the ball before they finish their route. Our QB's don't do that. Our Receivers and O-line are not the best but will look MUCH BETTER with a QB like Brady, I promise you that.

I buy that our receivers would look better with Brady (but not the o-line, they'd look worse) but no more than a game or two in the W column, I promise you that.

So its obvious to you that Brady would make our Receivers better but you don't think a decisive, quick read and release QB will make our O-line better? In fact, you didn't even think they would stay the same with a far superior QB, you think they will be WORSE???? wow
Let's take a quick look at the playoff teams this year, and where their QBs were drafted:

PHI - Vick (1st rounder)
CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
ATL - Ryan (1st)
NO - Brees (2nd)
NE - Brady (6th)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)
BAL - Flacco (1st)
IND - Manning (1st)
KC - Cassel (7th)

The NFC West is undecided between either Bradford (1st) or Hasselbeck (6th). Also the Giants with Manning (1st) still have a shot. So do the Bucs with Freeman (1st). But the above results speak for themselves:

11 Teams
8 First Round QBs
1 Second Rounder
1 Sixth
1 7th

Look at how many teams that are not in the playoff that have 1st round QBs. Argument = suddenly not so hot damn compelling.

Dude, that doesn't diminish the argument one bit. We are interested in teams that make the playoff's, not teams that don't. Who gives a f**k about teams that don't make the playoff's? WTF man.

The argument you are trying to make here is that of "for every one that makes it, one doesn't".

No it's not, not at all. My point is, MOST NFL QBs are drafted in the 1st round. More so than any other single round anyways. That is why there are so many that are in the playoffs. The same reason why there are so many 1st round QBs that never make it. There are between 3 and 5 1st round QBs ever year, that is why there are so many playoff teams that have 1st round QBs starting. EVERYONE takes 1st round QBs.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

PHI - Vick (1st rounder)
CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
ATL - Ryan (1st)
NO - Brees (2nd)
NE - Brady (6th)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)
BAL - Flacco (1st)
IND - Manning (1st)
KC - Cassel (7th)

11 Teams
8 First Round QBs
1 Second Rounder
1 Sixth
1 7th

No it's not, not at all. My point is, MOST NFL QBs are drafted in the 1st round. More so than any other single round anyways. That is why there are so many that are in the playoffs. The same reason why there are so many 1st round QBs that never make it. There are between 3 and 5 1st round QBs ever year, that is why there are so many playoff teams that have 1st round QBs starting. EVERYONE takes 1st round QBs.

Actually, most are not drafted in the first round and the one's that are comprise the smallest group of the QB class. The vast majority are drafted in the later rounds. There is what...on a good year, 4 or 5 in the first out of how many total drafted? Don't make me go look up the averages to prove this...but off hand, on a good year for 1st rounders, I bet 75% or better of the total QB crop are drafted after round one, and that is on a good year. It would not surprise me if one in 5 or 6 QB's was drafted in the first. Again, don't make me go and work... have to research this fairly obvious point. Very few QB's are drafted in the first compared to other rounds, it probably averages out to be 2/point something a year going in the first, on average.

Now....Given, that....the argument becomes even more compelling about 1st round QB's in the playoff's. A QB drafted in the first is the rarest of the QB's drafted, and yet....they comprise the majority of the QB's on playoff teams, who comprise the minority of all the teams.

And, lets examine this another way, fairly obvious way. How come nobody draft's a punter in the first? Why that is because it is very easy to find a punter who can do the job well, who can do it about as good as the next guy. Very easy to locate and acquire a punter. Hence, punter's do not go in the first, hell...most aren't even drafted due to the ease and prevalence of finding a good one.

Not so for QB, and that is because a top flight QB is neither prevalent or easy to locate and acquire. In fact, as the argument illustrates, to find one you pretty much gotta be looking at one of those in the very small minority of QB's drafted each year, those few (among the many others drafted each year) who are good enough to be picked in round one. Those QB's, are a rare and highly sought after bird indeed, and there will be failures in that group as well. Only a couple are available each year, of those not all will succeed, what's left of that will tend to represent, by far, the majority of playoff caliber teams.
  • dj43

Comparing what the 49ers might look like with one of the top 5 QBs of all time is hardly convincing.

Yes, Brady would make the 49er receivers look better and the OL as well. However, if that is what it would take to make this team look better, then all is lost. The Tom Bradys come along once every 20 years or so. If it takes an elite QB to make the receivers look good, it is time to get better receivers. The current group runs poor routes and get no separation most of the time. No QB is going to have success with such a group...not even Tom the Terrific.
  • dj43

In this case, the 49ers should draft BPA regardless of where they pick; #5, #8, where ever. If Luck comes out, he will go to Carolina. Unless the 49ers are willing to give up Willis, they won't be able to get Luck away from the Panthers. If Luck does't come out, then it doesn't matter anyway. I don't see any of the other QBs that are coming out that will be worth a top 10 pick.

The next biggest need is a pass rusher, more so than a CB. A pass rusher will make the entire secondary look better because opposing QBs will have much less time to find a receiver. There are a couple of guys who might be worth a #5 pick although there is a lot of testing to be done.

What really complicates this is that it is clear Troy isn't the answer but Alex would be a good intermediate working until a rookie comes on. The trouble with that is that Alex is very unlikely to want to stay here after all the garbage he has taken from the fans, not that his performance has been spectacular but he has been hampered as no other QB in a long time.

All that being said, they may have to reach in the second round or trade back into the first but when you have a chance for an impact player, even if it is not your greatest need, you get the impact guy. Don't reach for need. That is a waste of draft value.

I agee with everything you said except keepng Alex. No matter how you slice it, the personalites, politics, lack of performance and the mental drain of keeping Alex aboard would hinder this team's, as well as, Alex's performance and growth. He could not even handle Sing calling him out, how in the hell do some you expect for him to handle another coach, another system, another set of expectations, etc... Some of you speak of Nate's learning disabilities, but as one poster pointed out, Alex has demonstrated that he too has a learning disability; which was explicitly expresed by his college coach!

At least with another team, Alex may have a fighting chance. Right now, he and the 49ers are a bad marriage and nothinbg can change that. If you are a fan of Alex, you should hope that the end of the season marks an official divorce! It would simply be unfair to this team and Alex if he remains with the organization.
I don't expect to see Alex remain with the team next season but it will be his decision, not the team's.

Alex would be an ideal backup to a rookie. He would not come in with expectations of being a long-term starter unless he showed more than he has. OTOH, he knows the league and the defenses of the division opponents.

Also, it Harbaugh winds up being the HC, he would automatically make Alex, or whoever else might be here, a much better QB just by understanding the relationship required and demanding higher levels of performance from receivers as well as the QB.

However, as I said, I don't think Alex will want to stay here. AZ is a better fit for him with the same opportunity he has here. Unfortunately, he is the focal point of 8 years of fan anger even though he had little to do with the cause of it.

I don't expect to see Alex remain with the team next season but it will be his decision, not the team's.

Alex would be an ideal backup to a rookie. He would not come in with expectations of being a long-term starter unless he showed more than he has. OTOH, he knows the league and the defenses of the division opponents.

Also, it Harbaugh winds up being the HC, he would automatically make Alex, or whoever else might be here, a much better QB just by understanding the relationship required and demanding higher levels of performance from receivers as well as the QB.

However, as I said, I don't think Alex will want to stay here. AZ is a better fit for him with the same opportunity he has here. Unfortunately, he is the focal point of 8 years of fan anger even though he had little to do with the cause of it.

I don't see any scenario where Alex wants to come back here, or that management wants him back. IMO, it's a relationship that has run its course and in need of a fresh start on all sides (player/team/fanbase).
  • dj43
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I don't see any scenario where Alex wants to come back here, or that management wants him back. IMO, it's a relationship that has run its course and in need of a fresh start on all sides (player/team/fanbase).
We are in full agreement. As I said above, it will be his decision.

Of course, that puts the 49ers in a situation where they will have to use a draft pick (or two) to bring in an interim QB to serve until a rookie gets ready, and that will slow the development of a team that needs a pass rusher, a CB and a #1 wideout.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

We are in full agreement. As I said above, it will be his decision.

Of course, that puts the 49ers in a situation where they will have to use a draft pick (or two) to bring in an interim QB to serve until a rookie gets ready, and that will slow the development of a team that needs a pass rusher, a CB and a #1 wideout.

Agreed. Perhaps that's a better reason to start looking at a swap of 1st round picks in a deal for someone like Kolb. Or failing that, trading a 2nd rounder + something from next year for Kolb.

It addresses the need for stability at the QB position, keeps the 9ers in contention in the NFC West, and frees up the early first round pick to grab an impact player (pass rush, cb, etc).

This would only be viable if the 9ers don't believe Mallett or Newton can be franchise caliber.

[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:49:29 ]
Share 49ersWebzone